What Did You Do With Your Guitar(s) Today?

just jammin around pregaming for all them witches tonight. Swapped in my JVM and brought home the roadster from the practice space last night. Enjoying having access to the Mesa more than 1-2x a week

1E84E78D-5242-4391-AE58-AEE01B7A2A88.jpeg

I only played briefly, then did something I never do: I built a new preset, from scratch, <gasp>, using the new Revv amps and a Dyna Cab in the Axe III (it's good to own the Fractal King :annoying), then spent the next hour over at FAS trying to figure out why it doesn't retain my configuration across all scenes, every time, automatically.

This is why I don't build my own presets. I want to PLAY my guitar, not EF around with this magic black box! But I did learn something*, so that's good.

* Always use Scene Manager to copy Scene 1 to ALL, if I want all my blocks to remain the same, as a starting point.

Had shoulder recon recently. Starting to able to play again and move stuff around a within reason (after nearly 4 months), still pretty sore. Never got to test out this rig before finishing the build pre-op in Feb. So, the RG520SOL was chief spanner for a couple of days testing just gone. Lot of mess made; a lot of data gained.

CS2NY4E.jpg

Added an 8" sub to my 5" monitor setup and changed my RG pu's from Moderns to Devin Townsends, and switched back from 9's to 10's on the RG and my Sabre. Finding some things where the 9's are just too wobbly ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ even on 25.5 scale.

The subwoofer was a huge win, thanks to @la szum for the friendly nudge! Ok, "get a subwoofer or I'll kick your ass off the mountain and cut you up into bear food" isn't really a gentle nudge, but I'm hard headed - so he did what he had to :clint.

The Fishman DT's are nothing at all like the Moderns and I'm very happy with them so far. I may have a ritualistic burning/combination séance affair for them, or I may try to make a few $ to someone that actually likes them.

Added an 8" sub to my 5" monitor setup and changed my RG pu's from Moderns to Devin Townsends, and switched back from 9's to 10's on the RG and my Sabre. Finding some things where the 9's are just too wobbly ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ even on 25.5 scale.
Hi Warmart,

Are you in standard or Eb with the .009's on your RG's? Standard I use hybrid 9-46. Whereas Eb 10-46. Always found 42's bass sets too light with both tunings.

I've been living in D standard for a while due to this Mastodon kick I'm on. I loved 9's for some things, but there's always tradeoffs with everything guitar ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
On a D-tuned RG (with a D-Tuna, guess that makes it a C-Tuna), I run Matt Scofield Kurt Mangan sig sets on to do the 'Crue thing. Think they're 11-54, but maybe a bit too heavy. It's got a Trembucker in the bridge, it's loud and very rude. I reckon strings can get too big and not help the guitar or the sound, like they can be too light.

Practicing this JP lick, just the part from 107 to 114 is correct:

Stream of Consciousness Solo_Part.png

It's from DT Stream of Consciousness, which is in Eb std, but I changed the tab so I can play it in E std. The tab was way wrong, even where the sextuplets begin/end, so I squeezed the last 5 notes into measure 113, which are just a continuation of the shred, right before the bend on the 21st fret.

(In Songsterr, you can only edit notes, but not rhythms. Maybe in the paid version, Idk.)

The reason I like this riff is because it's based around a 7-note pattern (the first half), so the downbeats "revolve." Also, I use it to practice my position shifts, sometimes I'll shift my 1st finger, and sometimes I shift after each 7-note pattern. So that's a good practice thing to do.

But I'll also play it 4 notes to a beat, just because. I like how Petrucci will write a riff based around a pattern that doesn't "lay into" a particular grouping of notes, like playing a 5-note pattern as 16th notes, because it forces you to identify which notes need to land on a beat. Good for the mental aspect.

This sh!t is my "crossword puzzles" helping keep my brain sharp.

Last edited:
Practiced, practiced, practiced.

These are the first 2 measures of a lick from YJM I'll See The Light Tonight that I practice to help my get better pinky "independence," and keep it closer to the fretboard. When I started, I could barely even play it, my pink was so tied to my ring finger. I've heard it called 'note pivoting.' The whole lick goes on for 6 more measures of the same type of fingering, before it gets into quintuplets (which I'm not trying to learn.) I just practice those 8 measures, and I can usually run through the whole section at about 110.

But tonight I got through these 2 measures at 130!! Twice. I'm happy. I have to remind myself to stay relaxed.

I'll See the Light Tonight Tab.png

Last edited:
I bought neck shims, an American Performer neck, a custom EMG set (Revelation/S2/Revelation) for a Stratocaster, and a purple pearloid HSH Stratocaster pickguard. Hopefully it'll all be here by the end of the month. The shims and neck should be here the 15th, the pickguard around the 25th-30th, and I'm not sure when the EMGs will be done (I ordered them the 7th). Plan to shim a few of my Strats, have two HSH Strats,

Put the shim on one of my Strats that needed it. In the process, I also had to replace the jack because one of the wires came unsoldered (I don't have a soldering iron, so I replaced it with another one I had from EMG), put that in, changed the strings, and got some playing in. It should've taken like 45 minutes and took two hours thanks to the damn jack issue. Anyways, still got it sorted out.

Back