What Did You Do With Your Guitar(s) Today?

TJontheRoad

Roadie
TGF Recording Artist
A simple question, what did you do with your guitar(s) today? Did you change the strings? Tune it up? Plug into your favorite amp or modeler? Did you actually play your guitar? Did you record something? Did you play a gig? Did it make you feel better?

Anything is good. I'll start...

I needed to put a solo onto one of my tracks. I couldn't decide if it should be a guitar solo or synth solo. So I settled on a guitar synth solo (Boss SY-1000).

Yes, we can all get along :beer

Right now I'm sipping on some coffee, it's 6:30ish AM in my neck of the woods. :grin
But later today I plan on adding a solo to a track I started on this week. I'm working on getting back to at least a solid 3 hr a day playing schedule but it's been difficult due to other commitments. So many songs I need to put down and I'm tired of procrastinating.

Mostly running my various partscasters thru the new Helix stomp XL. My first modeling box and it's been inspiring so far.

My day is just starting so I’m gonna default to yesterday-

I had an audition with the cover band I’m intending on joining, I’ve been slacking with my playing lately so I took the day off yesterday to cram/practice as much as I could before the audition, a lot of the songs they’re doing need to be figured out in the room with them for various reasons, so I learned what I could, changed my strings, dialed in a couple specific tones then packed up.

I brought my entire rig not even thinking that we were going to a legit rehearsal studio that had plenty of gear. Ended up just running my FM9 into a Orange CR120 w/ two Orange 2x12’s (boomy AF), audition went GREAT, it didn’t feel like an audition really, more like a band practice as those guys just got to work right away, no shooting the sh*t for an hour before playing, no making noise when people are trying to talk, I was sold on them in the first hour and by the end they asked if I was still interested, so I’m back in a band now.

Now I’ve got a ton of work to do between learning songs and programming. They used to have an 8-piece horn section and a keyboard player but after the pandemic it got tough keeping that many people on the same page, it was a 13-piece band at one point, but instead of dropping half their material the guitar player did a really good job at filling a lot of gaps (the singer is a killer sax player, too) but the dude is tap dancing while trying to sing backups as a result, so I’m going to do what I can to lighten the load for him.

Side note, I got to hear my Orville at band volume and man, that guitar is f*cking crazy. Once I dialed the boominess out of those Orange cabs, the low end of that Orville was just so damn tight and percussive when the drums, bass and I locked in it sounded huge. The fun stuff you don’t get to have sitting in a home studio writing/recording solo, that’s for sure.

My day is just starting so I’m gonna default to yesterday-

I had an audition with the cover band I’m intending on joining, I’ve been slacking with my playing lately so I took the day off yesterday to cram/practice as much as I could before the audition, a lot of the songs they’re doing need to be figured out in the room with them for various reasons, so I learned what I could, changed my strings, dialed in a couple specific tones then packed up.

I brought my entire rig not even thinking that we were going to a legit rehearsal studio that had plenty of gear. Ended up just running my FM9 into a Orange CR120 w/ two Orange 2x12’s (boomy AF), audition went GREAT, it didn’t feel like an audition really, more like a band practice as those guys just got to work right away, no shooting the sh*t for an hour before playing, no making noise when people are trying to talk, I was sold on them in the first hour and by the end they asked if I was still interested, so I’m back in a band now.

Now I’ve got a ton of work to do between learning songs and programming. They used to have an 8-piece horn section and a keyboard player but after the pandemic it got tough keeping that many people on the same page, it was a 13-piece band at one point, but instead of dropping half their material the guitar player did a really good job at filling a lot of gaps (the singer is a killer sax player, too) but the dude is tap dancing while trying to sing backups as a result, so I’m going to do what I can to lighten the load for him.

Side note, I got to hear my Orville at band volume and man, that guitar is f*cking crazy. Once I dialed the boominess out of those Orange cabs, the low end of that Orville was just so damn tight and percussive when the drums, bass and I locked in it sounded huge. The fun stuff you don’t get to have sitting in a home studio writing/recording solo, that’s for sure.
Happy for you! Sounds like you all have your sh!t together.

Tonight I need to learn and figure out how to play the piano parts in this song on guitar……which is going to be “fun”. :rofl

One of my former guitarists does metal covers of theme songs for shats and gaggles, I got a text the other night, “You’re the only one I know who might be able to pull this off, what do ya think?”

Well, I think I’m not Yngwie for starts. :ROFLMAO:

Tonight I need to learn and figure out how to play the piano parts in this song on guitar……which is going to be “fun”. :rofl

One of my former guitarists does metal covers of theme songs for shats and gaggles, I got a text the other night, “You’re the only one I know who might be able to pull this off, what do ya think?”

Well, I think I’m not Yngwie for starts. :ROFLMAO:

Drew cramming on all those songs for the Cover Band he just accepted an invite from.

NOT!! :rofl

Selling it. :idk

Have a guy coming over to look at some guitars and amps and pedals today. Pretty sure he is locked into
buying one of my Les Pauls, and if I can get him to leave with some other stuff I damn sure will.

Realized I have too much stuff and it is bogging down the energy here. Bad Feng Shui! :LOL:

I'll always play one way or another, but I have had my fun and been out there pounding the pavement
going to and fro for gigs. Those days are done. Old fart is going to old fart it and transition to some
other avenues in life, and freeing up some stagnant energy and making more room in my life for some
new experiences is where I am at.

Spent my lunch working on some leads for the second "verse: on a new song we're debuting live next week. Simple two chord vamp with hammer ons and pull offs but there sus chords a full step away from each other so I'm playing with some fun key hopping.. kinda forces me to "play to the changes"

typical lunch time rig of SG and JVM, I think its about time to swap out the SG for one of my fenders as the "sitting out to grab" guitar for a bit

Patch on FAS for the PipeDream Fretworks Chopped6

IMG_1342.jpeg

A friend loaned me a Browne Protein V3 for a few days. So today I did a lot of comparing it with a few of my overdrives using a T style into a couple of amps set to clean.

Back