What Did You Do With Your Guitar(s) Today?

I’ve been re-tracking that old tune for the last couple days and while this is generally the point I get really sick of it, I’m excited about it from a different standpoint because instead of just trying to track the song well enough to get the point across I’m going for specific sounds with everything and having fun with production stuff.

The overall guitar tone on the song is made up of 4 amps with 2 of them sounding like dogshit on their own and not being fun to play at all, but it’s fun experimenting with this stuff and seeing how close I can get to what I want out of it.

Removed the Duncan ‘59 from my PRS and re-installed the Vintage Bass that it shipped with. I just couldn’t get along with the ‘59. It was way too bassy, lacked bite, and any definition with high-gain.

In comparison, not only does the Vintage Bass eliminate those issues, it’s hotter and more balanced with the JB, and seems to have a resonant peak that’s more suitable for 24 fret guitars. I may try one of the comparable Duncan Alnico II varieties down the road, but I’m pretty happy how this guitar is sounding now.

DEA94A90-99FA-4E16-A277-4B394CAB8DA8.jpeg

I got my second Synergy Syn-2 hooked up. The manual leaves something to be desired. I also got the switching setup, which the manual doesn't elaborate on much.

I think for hooking up a second Syn-2, the left hi/lo switch on the master Syn-2 should be set to lo. Otherwise it was really quiet when using the second Syn-2.

Edit: I have 4 OS modules currently loaded. 2 have been set to the "Marshall" setting on the cathode selector switch, while 1 is set to the "SLO" setting, and 1 is set to the "Fender" setting. It doesn't have a night and day effect, but is a bit of "seasoning" to the sound. I may set one with the "Fender" setting to the "SLO" setting if I experiment with it and don't care for it much.

Two are currently set to the "rock" setting, while the other two are on the "Jazz" setting. Have some of them with bright on, and one of them with deep on (with the Jazz setting). Various gain levels on the modules on channel 2. One is high gain (more OD Ratio/less OD Level, clean volume saturation), one is medium gain, one is high gain (slightly less than the other, more OD Level/less OD Ratio, only a little clean volume saturation), and the last one will likely be lower medium gain for a bluesier tone.

If I get bored, I always have a IICP to swap in that I am sometimes fond of and sometimes find a tad lackluster.

Last edited:
Not my guitar, but finally removed the protective plastic from my Helix after 6 ish years.

The main screen and EXP status window were looking pretty nasty.

It was tough to get a grip on the scribble strip plastic, but it's all clean now.

Sitting in on a few songs with some homies this weekend and had rehearsal tonight. Brought the mark Iv just as the combo. Wish I had more time to tweak it with this group but getting a really excellent lead tone using rhythm 2 channel boosted with the Timmy model on the HX one :love

Been using my single coil loaded guitars a bunch lately. SSS,HSS and SS. Mainly because I’ve been playing with a bunch of pedals, muffs and fuzz in particular, and I prefer the way single coils sound with them over humbuckers. Some bridge humbuckers are fine but neck HBs get way too muddy with a Fuzz/Muff. Adding the Super Phat Mod to my boost collection got me thinking about trying it with my Rockerverb. I think this might be the best OD/boost I’ve ever put in front of this amp. I’m getting more of my guitar tone, it helps the highs come through a bit clearer but I keep a lot of the lower mid range and tighten up the bottom. My Strats and my Tele in particular sound monstrous with this setup. Just a great hard rock tone but with an appropriate amount of single coil snarl. Greenback cab also helps.

I think I’m pretty set on humbucker loaded guitars. Single coils (Strat, Tele and P90 plus any other variation) and filter trons are a bit more interesting these days to me. I must be getting old.

I found my purple M-1 Custom 87 Series a bit difficult to play after setting it up a weekend or two back. I found that I had it at about 6-7/64", whereas it wants to be at about 4-5/64" like the gold version I have of the same guitar. I slacked the strings, lowered it some, and now it is about 4.5-5/64", so it is much closer to where it should be now and plays just as fast and effortlessly as the gold guitar.

I've also been breaking in my second Mojotone British 412 with Celestion G12M-25 Greenbacks and G12H-30 Heritage 75hz Greenbacks in an X pattern. My first one has the same speakers, but the G12H-30 Heritage speakers are 55hz. The first one I've named Walter Sobchek, and the second one I've named Dan Conner (my girlfriend wants me to name my guitar gear lol).

Lastly, I've been dialing in my two Syn-2 units with 4 OS modules. They are super versatile, so I'm getting basically everything from Marshall grind, Mesa Mark IIC+ esque gain (Sykes/Gillis), bluesy Fender breakup, great cleans, etc. I can cover everything from blues to thrash. Then, if I need something a little more searing, I have a IICP I can throw in there.

I got a Boss FS7 and set it up on the eight patches I use to change my channels on my Syn-2 units more easily. Pressing two switches to bank up and down is a tad clunky.

I put together this small pedalboard on a Honeyboard. Some of my favorite drives and fuzz. I set it up so that the out signal can be routed 3 ways to my FM9, Victory VC35, or Suhr PT15 IR. Included are a couple BYOC pedals I built a couple years ago (Silver Pony 2 - Klon, Leads Fuzz - Univox Superfuzz). There's a 1 Spot CS7 PSU underneath.

Attachments

• Honeyboard Router.jpeg
    Honeyboard Router.jpeg
    369.8 KB · Views: 7
Back