What Did You Do With Your Guitar(s) Today?

I’m not judging, I just don’t like ‘em and while I don’t understand why people like Seether, I’m 100% fine never finding out the answer. :rofl

You can add Breaking Benjamin, Staind, most of Godsmack, Disturbed after their 2nd album, etc to that list. Pretty sure I’m learning a song from each of those bands, too. :rofl

And you'll have fucking fun doing it!! :cop

:LOL:

Sometimes you have to suck it up and get on with things in the name of $
Always Sunny Sunnyfxx GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

The last cover band I was in we had Make It (Fake It? wtf knows) by Seether on the list. I had to mime that song because my brain could somehow not allow itself to take in that dead simple 4 chord progression :oops: :ROFLMAO:

Man, we've done that one and upwards of 10 other Seether tunes. Careless Whisper
was a fun one to play. A George Michael/Seether song with a guitar solo. Wow! :banana

Gasoline wasn't too bad. And in 2004 Fine Again was always our opener.

In recent years we've done Words as Weapons and Nobody Is Praying For Me.

Remedy
is on our list right now.

Not sorry. :grin

Seether helped get me a lot of gear. Nothing but gratitude. :love

I was going to set up my two Ltd 87 Series M-1 Customs and hook up the speakers in my 412 cab, but they forgot the wiring. Looks like I'll just be setting up my Ltds, then.

I'm swapping the FRT1000 bridges, shimming the nut on at least one of them, swapping the tuners for locking Gotoh SG381 tuners, and doing general set up stuff (bridge height/string action, truss rod adjustments, intonation, floating the bridge) with Tremol-No and EVH D-Tuna. We'll see if I like those.

My biggest issue with cover bands is that you have to play what the people in the venue want to hear or you don't draw a crowd. That leads to many of the bands playing the same tired old songs that are many years old. I took a different approach with a couple of my bands. Once people from other bands started stopping in to see us and friends of theirs started talking to them, everyone started playing the same songs we were playing so they could play something different that still drew a crowd. You have to constantly be churning new songs in and old ones out to stay on top of the heap. Everyone will copy what you are doing.
The thing with this POV for me is you run across all sorts of cover guys with that "we're not playing all the tired old songs" magic bullet. And 10/10 they never present anything that is, in fact; the antidote to playing Jessie's Girl. :cry::LOL:
Man, we've done that one and upwards of 10 other Seether tunes. Careless Whisper
was a fun one to play. A George Michael/Seether song with a guitar solo. Wow! :banana

Remedy

Remedy

Having to play shit like Seether (and generally playing in tunings I'm not too fond of) is why I'd rather play 70s hard rock and blues rock as well as 80s heavy metal and hair metal for cargo pant rookie grandfathers and tipsy milfs.

No fucking thank you. SOAD would be about as far as I'd be willing to bend on that.

Just updated my AxeFx3 to the new beta Cygnus X-3 firmware, and then played at stage volume for an hour through a stereo pair of CLRs. Happy Friday everyone!
Man; the CLR GAS has low key sorta hit me again. I LOVE the III through my studio monitors. And I do love it through the FR12. But CLRs are like the fist of god version of studio monitors that I would love to have again. I am scared to place an order though and used ones are scary for different reasons.
Seriously? :idk
Not the WWF part :bagBut the nu-metal part; kinda? Limited appeal to a definite degree but working up a set of it I think would fun af. Of course, if you can't stomach that genre as a whole; I can see it not being an appealing idea :oops: It's pretty much the groovier precursor to the modern (butt) rock that we have now. Just more fun to my ears.

Man; the CLR GAS has low key sorta hit me again. I LOVE the III through my studio monitors. And I do love it through the FR12. But CLRs are like the fist of god version of studio monitors that I would love to have again. I am scared to place an order though and used ones are scary for different reasons.
I bought my CLRs back in 2015 when I got the Helix Floor and they served me well until a pandemic era electrical surge damaged their power supplies.

I had picked up a PowerCab 212 for the helix because the CLRs were on Fractal duty. When the CLRs blew, the PC212 played double duty and the CLRs started collecting dust.

My saga to get the CLRs repaired is documented in an old thread here on TGF, but all said and done, I would buy them again.

Ok, what's the minimum percentage of good vs. bad songs people are willing to endure to play in a cover band? I got an example set list from someone a couple of weeks ago and it went like this:

Dancing Days
The Ocean

I love Zeppelin, but not my favorite Zeppelin songs. Still doable.

Comfortably Numb
Money

I feel like Comfortably Numb is a really hard song to pull off without it being an absolute drag. Money is fine, probably fun to play.

Children of the Grave

Hey, some Sabbath!

Badge

Confused Little Girl GIF

Hawaii Five-O Theme
Peter Gunn Theme
Munsters Theme

Ryan Reynolds Wtf GIF

There were also half a dozen songs that didn't come up in any Google search. I'm pretty sure one of them is a Coasters song from the 1950s.

For me, it depends on the specific songs, rather than a percentage.

I don’t dig a LOT of tunes I’m going to be learning, probably half? But I don’t HATE them and I’ll still be playing my guitar through a cranked up amp in front of an audience, which is the most important part of all of it for me because that’s the experience I can’t get writing/recording on my own.

But the last cover band I joined that I never played out with, I barely liked any of the songs I actually knew and their set was filled with all these obscure funk and/or 70’s shit that wasn’t appealing at all and wasn’t much fun learning. That mixed with the amount of time they were taking to incorporate me into the live shows made it not worth it.

The thing with this POV for me is you run across all sorts of cover guys with that "we're not playing all the tired old songs" magic bullet. And 10/10 they never present anything that is, in fact; the antidote to playing Jessie's Girl. :cry::LOL:

I am one that only speaks up when I have an idea of how to change things. It doesn't do any good to just complain. Nobody wants to hear that. I have taken a few bands that I have been in into different directions that worked. It was hard to get everyone on board with a couple of them but once they started seeing that people that were in the audience were into it, they got on board fully. My thinking is to neve be afraid to try something new, unless it is really out there. Then you may have to figure out what venue that may fly in before going down that road.

Gave the old Jazz Bass a much-needed setup this morning. Finally got around to dialing in the nut slots and the action is about as low as it’s going to get without buzz. I also enlarged the route on the pickguard for the truss rod adjustment. She’s dialed!

74B89E66-2544-4C13-AD0C-91628D66E417.jpeg

A friend has been asking for tips for SRV/Sayce tones lately, which led down the rabbit hole again...
Went to three differenst stores and no one had a 056 or 058 string, so a 054 did the trick.
1712090990321.jpeg

Set up the strat with "SRV-spec" action, 2.8mm (7/64") low E and 2mm (5/64") high E.

I feared it would be super hard to play, but in Eb it wasn't all that bad,and it certainly helps the fretboard is scalloped. :giggle:

One quick take noodling before running to work, switching between 808 and Fuzz Face, a little Crybaby 95q action too.
Need to work on those blues licks though, have to play like I hate the guitar and it owes me money!

Last edited:
I am one that only speaks up when I have an idea of how to change things. It doesn't do any good to just complain. Nobody wants to hear that.

Yup. The incessant shitbagging becomes self-defeating and unproductive in a real world setting.
Dealing with those kinds of people just feels like a chronic and never-ending series of dead ends. :facepalm

I am not sure anyone's tastes or skills are even worthy of assuming their proper place on the Shitbbagers
Throne. That shall not deter us, though. We be people.

:rofl

I will add that my actual experience is that the most persistent shitbaggers and constant critics also seem
to actually end up doing the least. Makes sense, since they have all of these self-imposed obstacles they
can't get past.

Not Doing It Bounty Hunter GIF by DefyTV

Back