What Did You Do With Your Guitar(s) Today?

Yeah im partial to Dimarzio's for no other reason that they have been around for a long time, Super Distortion was probably the first Aftermarket pickup, I used the Dimarzio Pickup selector on their website to choose a set for my Charvel to replace my Seymour's and did a few searches on reviews, and some helpful folks here

Man, I am not sure Dimarzios are a $400 leap over Duncans. :knit

I ordered another pick guard for my strat. Gonna mod it and load it up with Crunchy Pats. Still not a fan of that single coil noise so I’m gonna put in some humbuckers that I like.

I picked up a GFS Power Rail for my Ibanez, probably gonna install it this weekend…

I’ve been working some other stuff that is almost nearing completion and I’ll post some pics when it’s done…

Tone Zone in the bridge. Air Norton in the neck.
Common for J-Customs, no? But I've heard of so much talk about it being "tired". Prolly heresy, definitely a possibility.
I wouldn't snooze on a Petrucci Illuminator set in an RG. :idk
Or a Dreamcatcher/Rainmaker?

It's so dman confusing, they honestly have too many fookin' choices, people! And their EQ ratings aren't really helping. Guess I should listen to Youtube comparisons, but that is always apt to processing, etc., so I'm basically back to recommendations.

Common for J-Customs, no? But I've heard of so much talk about it being "tired". Prolly heresy, definitely a possibility.

Or a Dreamcatcher/Rainmaker?

It's so dman confusing, they honestly have too many fookin' choices, people! And their EQ ratings aren't really helping. Guess I should listen to Youtube comparisons, but that is always apt to processing, etc., so I'm basically back to recommendations.
Yes Youtube will be of 0 help, Recommendations are best and also some unbiased reviews (text), and reputation among players

Yes, fairly common for J Customs. Tone Zone developed with Van Halen. Norton, and Fred developed with Satriani. Norton sitting in between the Tone Zone and Fred. Paul Gilbert used Tone Zone a lot, also used to come standard in the MusicMan Axis line.

Paf pro or Paf Joe also pairs well.

Air Norton in the neck used to come standard in the Ibanez Petrucci.

Last edited:
Here are just the ones with "higher" output by mV: https://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/humbuckers/high-power?sort=output&order=1

X2N and Deactivator-X being at the top of the heap. Maybe they'd be a bit "much". I want it primarily for heavy stuff, which I know is "user dependent", to say the least! I do like the description given for the Tone Zone - but then all their descriptions make 'em sound good, lol.

Always a rabbit hole trying to decide. Throw in the ash top on this RG and it adds another wrinkle.

From what Igathered from @Eagle the Dimarzio rating of Bass is the higher the Better for tight bass
and from what I gathered somewhere in the 2-3 range for highs to avoid icepick highs
So i based this on my PuP Rail choice

1685025897761.png

From what Igathered from @Eagle the Dimarzio rating of Bass is the higher the Better for tight bass
and from what I gathered somewhere in the 2-3 range for highs to avoid icepick highs
So i based this on my PuP Rail choice

View attachment 7574
Yeah, that makes sense and is totally in-line with what I was thinking it meant. Most of the high outputs seems to keep the treble below 3.5.

Since I plan to get a Majesty once I figure out what's going to be sold or traded, I'll rule out the Dreamcatcher/Rainmaker. So leaning towards either Tone Zone/Air Norton or Illuminators.

Tone Zone/Air Norton = 80s shred and Hair-ish Metal

Illuminators = 90s/00s shred and will likely handle any down/drop tuning better.

:idk
I haven't left D-Standard for prolly 2 months ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, you definitely have me leaning towards the Illuminators.

Plus, it's not like I can't rip 'em out and run them over with my Jeep. If my Jeep ever gets back from the fookin' body shop where it's lived since it was smashed into! Grrr, lol. But I digress . . . .

Well I had a pair of Ron Ellis pafs doing nothing and I needed to put something decent in here;
IMG_3137.jpeg

I have been playing this a lot lately. It’s one of the cheapest guitars I own but no corners cut except the electrics.
People will think this is crazy but;
IMG_3136.jpeg

I put a fender Abby in the middle too 50s speck .
IMG_3135.jpeg

Works great and now it sounds as good too.
I can hear the Gear Page from here🤣

Well I had a pair of Ron Ellis pafs doing nothing and I needed to put something decent in here;
View attachment 7594
I have been playing this a lot lately. It’s one of the cheapest guitars I own but no corners cut except the electrics.
People will think this is crazy but;
View attachment 7595
I put a fender Abby in the middle too 50s speck .View attachment 7596
Works great and now it sounds as good too.
I can hear the Gear Page from here🤣

I bet this is the only Ibanez RG that has ever had Ron Ellis PAFs in it.
Gonna call Guinness Book of World Records now. :beer

Back