What are we watching now?

You might enjoy the 2022 The Batman with Robert Pattison. It's more of a noir-ish detective story than a superhero action movie.

I did see that one, but I didn't like it. I thought Paul Dano was good, and especially Colin Farrell, but I couldn't stand many of the others. I liked John Turturo too. I felt like Farrell was channeling a more interesting Robert De Niro and Turturo was channeling Al Pacino. To me that was great. I couldn't stand most everyone else or the directing. I thought it was just missing emotional connection. I felt like you're dropped in the middle of this legend, and you're supposed to glom onto these characters that haven't really been introduced properly. I don't know how I could come up care about any of them. I thought it looked cool, but other than those performances I pointed out, I just didn't care overall. I saw it when it first came out, so my feelings are stale, but that's what I remember.

Beverly Hills Cop and Beverly Hills Cop 2. I haven't seen them before. I also watched 48 Hrs and Another 48 Hrs last week, which I hadn't seen before either.

We started watching Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films last night for the second time. We saw it when it steamed on Netflix in the US some time ago, but now it's on Amazon Prime Video, and I really wanted to see it again, because since our first viewing, we've now seen many more of the films they reference in the documentary.

Man, the amount of nudity in the documentary is just crazy. They don't just reference the nudity from each film, they're showing all of it. Much of the nudity is completely awesome, but then they cut to the actresses saying they did not want to do it at all, so you end up feeling like an asshole. And I understand. On one hand, you could just quit, but your nascent Hollywood career might be fucking over before it begins, or you could do what you don't want to do, and maybe you'll get more work in the future, and you can hope it's the kind of work you hoped for. Fucking dehumanizing and infuriating. Anyway...

It's crazy to think how much they churned out in the 80s, and the real kicker is that not all of it is garbage. That Championship Season, the play that won Jason Miller (the actor who played the young priest in The Exorcist) the Pulitzer Prize was made intro a Cannon film! I've owned that film for a while now, and it's really good, but only because of the basic elements: great writing, great directing, and great acting. But as I remember, everything else is shit; I remember it looking like A low budget TV show of the 60s, unrestored.

You also have one of my favorite films ever, Bloodsport. They don't talk about that film at all in this, which is a cryin' shame, because to me it has the best spirit, with hilarious moments throughout. It's just the best in so many damn ways.

You have Breakin', and its terrible sequel. This was culturally cool, and I actually love a bunch about this movie, the attitudes, the sheer talent, the examination of class in America, and the fact that Jean Claude Van Damme and Michael Qissi (Tong Po from Kickboxer) show up as Venice Beach extras, with Van Damme, totally unknown at the time, clearly trying to steal the spotlight dancing in the background.

Then you have mindfuck movies, like Lifeforce, which is so out there and fucked up, you just have no idea what you're seeing. It has one of the most bizarre performances you could ever hope to see, from Patrick Stewart, no less, and it's worth every second.

But then you have most of their catalog, just pure shit. Irredeemably terrible, not even mildly trying to be good at all, garage. Masters of The Universe comes to mind. I mean, nothing remotely redeemable about it. But the fact that they had the run they did just blows my mind.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I've ever been disappointed or bored by a Cannon/Golan Globus film, so I disagree.
They can be a mixed bag, but perfect fodder for "bad movie night" where you don't know if you are getting "half-way decent" or "so bad it's good".

Something can be poorly acted, or hampered by a budget, but still earnest enough that there's some charm to it where you can laugh at the poor performances, or nonsensical plot. But if the film is boring then that's the worst thing it can be.

Been catching up on the latest season of Evil. Kind of a light hearted supernatural series. Actually really good without even trying. This is the last season and I think they are winding it up quite nicely. Not much else to say of note. Been waiting for Longlegs to show up somewhere but so far no dice.

I liked Joker, which was conceived as a standalone movie, although in general I dislike backstory to “humanize” comic book villains ala Cruella. Unnecessary at best.

I fear that a musical sequel with Lady Gaga as Harley might ruin it, or just be silly. And maybe it’s just my “It was meant to be standalone – and worked! Why can’t you leave it that way?” attitude.

Joker and Harley are crazy criminals and murderers. But they are just comic book characters.

The way the House of the Dragon reviews are, I’ll wait until it’s all over and maybe buy the box set. The last few seasons of Game of Thrones still linger sourly in my memory.

Sorry, I wish I was more positive about pending releases and current shows. I don’t hate-watch shows I’m not interested in – which seems to be a lot these days!

We just saw Arthur, from 1981, by Steve Gordon, for the first time. This is one of those films that feels like a classic instantly. It just had a magic about it.

The big surprise to me though was John Gielgud. He made me laugh so hard. I didn't know he could be funny. There are so many times I too could've said to someone I just met, with no prompting, "I wish you the very best of luck in prison."

Last edited:
Watched this over the weekend. Chino has some iffy spots but sounds actually pretty darn good. His vibe is ON POINT :chef

Bonus points for dude filling in for Carpenter and doing some good backing vox to help out :satan

I liked Joker, which was conceived as a standalone movie, although in general I dislike backstory to “humanize” comic book villains ala Cruella. Unnecessary at best.

I fear that a musical sequel with Lady Gaga as Harley might ruin it, or just be silly. And maybe it’s just my “It was meant to be standalone – and worked! Why can’t you leave it that way?” attitude.

Joker and Harley are crazy criminals and murderers. But they are just comic book characters.

The way the House of the Dragon reviews are, I’ll wait until it’s all over and maybe buy the box set. The last few seasons of Game of Thrones still linger sourly in my memory.

Sorry, I wish I was more positive about pending releases and current shows. I don’t hate-watch shows I’m not interested in – which seems to be a lot these days!
There's a musical sequel on the way? Uh, okay. Can we at least make a request that we see more of Lady Gaga's backside like in that Hotel season of AHS? It's the least they could do for making people sit through an awful comic book musical.

Musical Joker sounds like an absolute abomination. I am sensing Juaquin (sp?) will be drying his artistic integrity tears up quite nicely with his paycheck I am betting.

Lady Gaga has mentioned that she was forced to sing badly as Harley. Wrong breathing, bad notes, the works. From Wiki: "For me, there's plenty of bum notes, actually, from Lee. I'm a trained singer, right? So even my breathing was different when I sang as Lee."

Joker: Folie à Deux will be aired in Venice soon – competing for the Golden Lion no less! – with theatrical release in October.

I tiredly glanced at the headline videos for the Paris Olymipics this morning and... WTF?

Australia (at least by our reckoning!) is 3rd behind the USA and China. After the Pool, we fade away to oblivion! That's what we do!

Thank the "Gods" of Olympus that Skateboarding and BMX are in - although only a silver in Surfing is bit embarrassing. I look to my volumes of Pindar and wonder what the old Greek would have composed as an Olympic Ode today for BMX Freestyle

From Ode 13:
The glorious prize obtain'd;
More lengthen'd pomps and songs proclaim

I saw Twisters the other day.

Summary:

giphy.webp

giphy.webp

giphy.webp

...and my reaction:

giphy.webp

200.webp

We tried to watch Final Judgment from 1992, with Brad Dourif. I love Brad Dourif. I really love Brad Dourif, as you may be able to tell from my avatar. But I could only make it halfway through that stinking turd of a movie. It was terrible in every possible way, including his performance. I really wanted this piece of shit to work, but there really was no redeeming value at all. It blows my mind how a movie like this can be financed in the first place; I imagine it’s settling for a drug debt, or something like that. 🤮

Back