What are we watching now?

God, my wife had me in tears last night from laughter with her Mystery Science Theater 3000 commentary on Farewell, Friend from 1968. She said that in Alain Delon's attempt at acting in English he was yielded a performance mostly comprising of "indigestion and hearing loss."

I mean, we still have half an hour to go, but I can say this film is one of the most bizarre I've ever seen. You've got Charles fucking Bronson opposite French actor Alain Delon; they're in France, French director, the whole thing's in English.

Charles Bronson has this constant and unsettling smarminess, just way too confident to the point where he's creepy. It also makes it hilarious. And Alain Delon, who's acting is normally great when he's speaking French, turns into an awkward and hilarious robot with no volume control when he's trying to speak English. I love it.

And the directing was definitely by some jackass who's never worked with an actor before. I feel like this guy played with action figures so much he was confident he could get human beings to present a story in the same way. Equally hilarious.

This film feels so disjointed and just completely out of left field with every filmmaking decision, I highly recommend it if you ever look for something to make fun of for two hours. In that way, this film is perfection.

We watched the Gene Wilder doc on Netflix last night :love We also watched the Brat Pack doc on Hulu. No idea people have spent the last 30 years with PTSD from the term :wat:rofl It was enjoyable to see the usual cast of characters again and I do hope Andrew McCarthy can get this out of his system and be able to move forward.

House of the Dragon off to a good start. I'm sucked in now for sure lol.

May there be infinite well done GoT spinoffs

We watched the Gene Wilder doc on Netflix last night :love We also watched the Brat Pack doc on Hulu. No idea people have spent the last 30 years with PTSD from the term :wat:rofl It was enjoyable to see the usual cast of characters again and I do hope Andrew McCarthy can get this out of his system and be able to move forward.

That's interesting. I just read a NY Times article written by Andrew McCarthy last week on this. I think a bunch of those actors were more mature than actors of the same age in the 90s to now, so I think it's not fair to use the term brat with those guys. I mean, Sean Penn is in that generation, and he's arguably one of the greatest screen actors ever!

We finished Farewell Friend last night, and that has to be one of the funniest movies if you do it Mystery Science Theater 3000 style. It is completely rife with material. I loved the ineptitude of the director and the weirdly harsh editor combined with the strange and hilarious performances of Alain Delon and Charles Bronson. It was epically weird, and I highly recommend it.

Finished Season 1 of The Lazarus Project. I can’t believe I missed this show. If you’re a Sci-Fi enthusiast, I highly recommend checking this one out.

Watched Spaceman last night... I like cerebral scifi but.. I'm not sure. It held my interest the whole time but also fell a bit short. Adam Sandler vaguely going in and out of a mild fake Czech accent was also a bit distracting

Watched Spaceman last night... I like cerebral scifi but.. I'm not sure. It held my interest the whole time but also fell a bit short. Adam Sandler vaguely going in and out of a mild fake Czech accent was also a bit distracting
Another film that proves that Adam Sandler has been typecasted for the majority of his career. I prefer his drama roles over his comical ones.

I can't believe it, but we watched Dark Angel from 1990 last night, starring Dolph Lundgren. Man, he never adds anything to his own movies! No real personality, character, emotion, nothing. He's just tall and huge. This one was retarded. I did like the juxtaposition of an alien saying "I come in peace" right before he kills people. And Brian Benben is a waste of space in what I've seen; I cannot stand that guy.

We watched Missing from 1982 by Costa-Gravas. Man, that film was great. Sissy Spasek was so natural and warm, and this was a great reminder of how incredible Jack Lemmon was in serious roles. It was awe inspiring and insanely powerful to see something going so deep into humane vs inhumane juxtapositions. Brutal and moving.

Then we saw Oppenheimer. The one thing I loved in the film was David Krumholtz. Nolan just smoothered the film in chaotic camera work and editing, and I could not connect with any other characters. Most actors had little to no personality or character, and it just left me empty.

Then tonight we saw Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, which I saw twice in the theater when it was first released. The DVD and Blu Ray subtitles were different than the theatrical release, and they took the artistry out of the writing. After some research I learned that the streaming version has the theatrical subtitles, so I showed that to my wife tonight. I swear, that film transports me. Every thing about it is beautiful. It's epic, it's just incredible.

Michelle Yeoh is perfect in this. Her acting is subtle and completely takes you in so that the story can actual affect you. This is a transcendent film, going so far beyond a martial arts superhero movie into something that feels like you're experiencing a legend.

I watched it the other night. Instant nostalgia. I loved every minute of it, but ultimately it was just an hour of actors telling McCarthy to get the fuck over it. :ROFLMAO: I’m waiting on the Rob Lowe sequel focusing on HOW AWESOME IT WAS. :rofl

John Hughes is the GOAT.

Last edited:
Another film that proves that Adam Sandler has been typecasted for the majority of his career. I prefer his drama roles over his comical ones.
I absolutely despise his comedy work - I think he might be the least funny person in the universe. But he’s actually a pretty solid dramatic actor with the right direction.

Also, Punch Drunk Love was a masterpiece. :)

Oppenheimer is the most overrated movie in years. 3+ hours of "meh". And yeah, we already knew he was gonna build a nuke... no surprise there. :LOL:

Trying to think of last really good movie I saw and having a really hard time; we go to theater and watch at home many times throughout the year. It's really difficult to remember anything good when most of the shit Hollywood pumps out is either cookie cutter boring or yet another one of those fucking comic book superhero movies.

Maybe The Green Book. That was like 3 or 4 years ago.

Barring that, one random that I do remember from a while back that I highly recommend is Drag Me To Hell (horror):

Oh, now I remember one good (good, not great) movie very recently done by independent group: The Last Stop In Yuma County:

Back