What are we watching now?

Watched Godzilla Minus One last night. It was alright!

The tone is so different from the Godzilla vs Kong movies. Those are pure, dumb popcorn action.

Godzilla Minus One is really more a movie about war trauma, with Godzilla popping up now and then. Visually it was quite nice, and Godzilla destroying stuff isn't just treated as "oh well, property damage!"

My wife and I saw American Gangster in the theater when it was first released, and it didn't stick with me back then. Last night we rewatched it, and we both loved it. We took a look at the cast and were blown away by how many great actors are in it, including one of my favorite unsung heroes, Ritchie Coster.

The only big complaint is that the evolution of the relationship between the two main characters was only explained in text at the end of the film. That to me is just as interesting than the story of how they got there. It was already a long film, but I think another half hour at least to go into that relationship would've done the story better justice.

Regardless, great acting all the way around, which tells me it was great directing. I'm often left cold with Scott's directing, so this was a pleasant surprise.

Denzel Washington was more dimensional here than I've seen in some of his performances, so he drew me in more. I compare this performance with him in The Pelican Brief, where I couldn't stand what he did. I feel like he sometimes has a tendency just to make his character suave and standoffish without warmth, leaving you with somewhat of an empty shell.

Playing a tough guy is an art form, and I think it's very difficult to do well for most actors. I look at Michael Marsden, who tries to get their by summoning an indigestion face the whole time, and I never buy it. Then you take Sean Penn in Mystic River, and I can't help but buy everything he's doing. A tough character is still a human being, and if the character is played one dimensionally, they become uninteresting.

That said, Denzel Washington was pretty great in American Gangster, but largely within his standard mannerisms. Russell Crowe was just totally his standard mannerisms, but I think it worked, and he never leaves me cold in any role. They both come from the Christopher Walken same-guy-in-every-movie school of acting, which can be great, but can also be just tiring.

The big draw for me here was the Prince of The City / Serpico / Night Falls on Manhattan "dirty cop all over" feel to it all. Just a picture of a city drowning in corruption and evil all around. In stories like this, where the evil is so pervasive, it to some degree forces a confrontation between the protagonist's soul and the world around the. What's horrific is that Serpico, Prince Of The City, and American Gangster are all based on true stories, and Night Falls On Manhattan is partially based on one too. Brutal.

Denzel is :satan Devil In a Blue Dress is seriously underrated.

Watched The Legend of Hell House again over the weekend. Absolute sweet spot of generally as old a film as I can go. Atmosphere and score are killer. Definitely English and definitely an early 70s flick. But just great overall.

Watched a couple of Netflix documentaries this past week.

"Power" is about the history and ongoing role of police forces in the US. Production is a little scrappy - lots of stock footage, and lots of "Is this guy really an expert?" pontificating. But it raises some very interesting questions in spite of this.

"Antisocial Network" does a good job of recapping the evolution of the "World Wide Web" (how quaint) and its impact on politics and our collective mindset. The characters interviewed (hackers, etc.) are a little annoying, but as the story unfolds, that starts to feel like the whole point: just a slow motion train wreck of compounding ego trips.

My wife had the idea that we should divide our movie time so that one night I pick the movie, the next night she does. I usually defer to her, so she's trying to give me a chance to explore the stuff I really care about, which tends to be art house haha! So I immediate went back to the Alain Delon collection on The Criterion Channel, and we start Rocco and His Brothers, from 1960. We had watched this middling spy movie called Scorpion starring Burt Lancaster, and the whole thing was forgettable, except for this one bastard, the French actor Alain Delon, who was the most badass motherfucker in that movie, and I immediately thought "I have to see everything this guy has done." But so far I haven't seen anything interesting performance wise from him other than the one. But he has been in a ton of stuff, and I don't know if he turned into a badass later or if Scorpion was a fluke, but I'm prepared to find out.

Just remembered theres a season of Succession I haven't seen. I don't really remember whats going on though, the recap didn't really help me much

WCW Thunder
Just watched pt 1 of a 4 part WCW documentary. It's actually pretty damn good. I never really followed it as I was not into wrestling at all at the time. Or now, really? I don't subscribe to the concept of a guilty pleasure but wrestling definitely falls into that category :ROFLMAO:

Just watched pt 1 of a 4 part WCW documentary. It's actually pretty damn good. I never really followed it as I was not into wrestling at all at the time. Or now, really? I don't subscribe to the concept of a guilty pleasure but wrestling definitely falls into that category :ROFLMAO:
If you've ever taken the time to watch Japanese or Mexican wrestling, American wrestling is sort of embarrassing by comparison.

Exhuma. South Korean ghost flick about a team who pick the wrong familyto help. Slow at first but creepy and the overall mythology is great.

Back