What are we watching now?

Rambo, Rambo II. I will likely be finishing up Rocky and Rambo throughout the week, as well as possibly checking out some Chuck Norris if it's available on Tubi like JustWatch said (Missing in Action I-III, Invasion USA, Delta Force I & II).

Finished 3 Body Problem. Eh, it feels like a very long character introduction. I don't think I'll bother with any future seasons. The whole generational thing is interesting but I'm just not feeling it.

Tried watching Baz Luhrmann's Elvis, but had to turn off after about 30 minutes because it's like these beautifully shot scenes are cut together like a fever dream. It was just frustrating to watch because it jumps all over the place constantly.

Went to see The Fall Guy in theaters. That movie had some incredible stunts, many that I thought might've been CGI but were actually done for real! For plot and dialog I think it could have been better. It's like a movie that with just more snappy dialog could be great, but what we got falls just that little bit short.

Just started watching Thank You And Goodnight, the Bon Jovi doc on Hulu.

Been looking forward to this. Only review I saw so far on another forum was that it doesn’t really hold back.

Finished up Them yesterday. First round of episodes were great. The supernatural tie-in was a bit of a head scratcher at first. I don't know if I agree with the aesthetic and story direction it took; but I still think that's more of me needing a straightforward slasher or thriller ala Seven vs. what it was. Excellent tie-in with the first season; though it's one of those seasons that was on what seems like 5 years ago so I had zero fucking idea for about 10 seconds what was happening :oops: :ROFLMAO:

Overall; excellent if you dig anthology horror with some pointed commentary thrown in in a way that feels right for the story vs. shoehorned in on top of things.

Finished up Them yesterday. First round of episodes were great. The supernatural tie-in was a bit of a head scratcher at first. I don't know if I agree with the aesthetic and story direction it took; but I still think that's more of me needing a straightforward slasher or thriller ala Seven vs. what it was. Excellent tie-in with the first season; though it's one of those seasons that was on what seems like 5 years ago so I had zero fucking idea for about 10 seconds what was happening :oops: :ROFLMAO:

Overall; excellent if you dig anthology horror with some pointed commentary thrown in in a way that feels right for the story vs. shoehorned in on top of things.
Holy shit I thought you were talking about Rambo Last Blood! I was like “damn I guess I gotta watch Sly once more”
:rofl

Adding Them to the list then…

Most social commentary is too divisive or accusatory to be at all interesting. This is especially the case when the entire thing exists just to make some social comment and is unable to be appreciated outside of that. This affects much of modern TV and film that attempts to do so.

Most social commentary is too divisive or accusatory to be at all interesting. This is especially the case when the entire thing exists just to make some social comment and is unable to be appreciated outside of that. This affects much of modern TV and film that attempts to do so.
Agreed. I think this show has taken some HOT topic material and presented an actual story at the same time. Tough to pull off certainly.

Agreed. I think this show has taken some HOT topic material and presented an actual story at the same time. Tough to pull off certainly.
Is it "my side is right and your side makes you a horrible person" or more akin to old school social commentary that we all should rethink our thoughts on a particular topic?

We started The Looking Glass War from 1970 last night. It's crazy to see a baby Anthony Hopkins. Exactly the same feel though. It's crazy how little some people change. I love everything about this film so far, but I was too dead tired from a long lasting headache to be able to continue it.

I watched I Think We're Alone Now this morning... Pretty good movie with a nice twist.

And speaking of movies, my son and I watch The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare last weekend, loved it.

We just got back from watching Boy Kills World. If you love fight scenes, gratuitous violence, revenge, gratuitous violence, action, gratuitous violence and some comedy and martial arts then you'll probably like it.

The Looking Glass War (1970): Christopher Jones is one of those actors I can't believe I hadn't heard of; this guy is awesome. He reminded me very much of James Dean. This film was a neat package of a story that was interesting, but no where near as cool as Jones himself. He's one of those guys who changes the feel when he's on screen to something infinitely more compelling and cool. I'm going to try to find everything I can with him.

Too bad he stopped acting very young right after this film. He was friends with Sharon Tate, victim of the Manson Family, and that destroyed him so much he left acting right then. But he has some other acting credits, so I'll gladly go for them.

Hell, James Dean was a genius actor, and we only have three examples!

Watched "Used Cars" over the weekend for the first time in years. That flick was hilarious back when I first saw it when I was a kid and it holds up great 44 years later. Great flick.

On a more serious tip; watched "Klute" over the past few nights. I saw 9to5 back when I was a kid and loved it but missed most of Jane Fonda's stuff. Other than that Frankie and Louie or whatever Netflix show where she plays an uptight plastic surgery disaster.

In this film; Fonda plays a call girl who gets unintentionally wrapped up in a murder investigation. Donald Sutherland plays the investigator and he does a good job. Fonda was GREAT in this. Genuinely surprised at her portrayal. The movie shows it's 1971 vintage in the club scenes with the disco freakout sections but otherwise is a pretty timeless murder mystery. The score in particular is KILLER. Just spectacular score that ramps up the tension to ridiculous levels. Pleasantly surprised overall.

MI-5 (2015): Peter Firth young is special to me, but I think he lost his spark somewhere along the way. I'll just have to keep an eye out for more of his early career.

I think directors can be too slick for their own good. When every scene and every shot is the most serious thing in the world, with the most of everything at all times, it loses impact. This is modern cinema in a nutshell.

Been watching The Vikings on Netflix for the past week since my buddy suggested it. Not bad at all, decent amount of violence and nudity. Not near as much as Blacksails on Netflix right now but worth watching.

Finished Part Too Many of Season Too Many And At This Rate Maybe The Last of American Horror Story the other day. It was slightly more interesting than Part 1, but there was almost no margin for this to not be so. So much predictable, Rosemary's Baby-style "ooh pregnancies are scary" and "ooh demon baby" riffing that it didn't even matter when we accidentally watched a couple of episodes out of order. I thought it was hilarious that the entire season ended with a baby yawning; I felt exactly the same way.

(Spoiler tags are so minor they're borderline satire. How can you spoil something so boring?)

Last edited:
Baby Reindeer was fantastic IMO, though not for the faint of heart. Starts out looking like it could break in any direction: crime thriller, dramatic comedy, who knows? But it winds up getting very dark before it's over. So that's a recommendation (in case the dumb name put you off) and a warning (in case you thought you'd pop some popcorn and watch this with the family) all in one. :)

Baby Reindeer was fantastic IMO, though not for the faint of heart. Starts out looking like it could break in any direction: crime thriller, dramatic comedy, who knows? But it winds up getting very dark before it's over. So that's a recommendation (in case the dumb name put you off) and a warning (in case you thought you'd pop some popcorn and watch this with the family) all in one. :)
I started this but got kind of put off by the beginnings of it and what the tone was going to be moving forward. Is it worth a watch you think? Your description sounds good.

Back