Adventures in Fractal's Dual Rectifiers

recto 1 is a chrome face rev F, recto 2 is a multi watt dual

helix is a 2001 3 channel dual solo head modeled on tube+bold
heroic, thanks. Pretty ideal specimens for Fractal to model

Helix’s one would presumably be a fairly early 3 channel, not sure if it would be that Rev C board. It does sound more like one of the better 3 channel ones I’ve heard though

heroic, thanks. Pretty ideal specimens for Fractal to model

Helix’s one would presumably be a fairly early 3 channel, not sure if it would be that Rev C board. It does sound more like one of the better 3 channel ones I’ve heard though
Would be so cool to see a Rev G or Tremoverb orange and red channel in Helix. They’ve been on such a role lately. I don’t recall their rectifier being bad, but I never use it. It has that 3 channel tubby low mid thing that I feel like the 2 channels don’t suffer from.

IMO the 3 channel models are why the rectifier lost favor and everyone noped out in the 2010s. My understanding is the multi watts are better but I haven’t crossed paths with one. The 2 channel models just rip. So aggressive.

Would be so cool to see a Rev G or Tremoverb orange and red channel in Helix. They’ve been on such a role lately. I don’t recall their rectifier being bad, but I never use it. It has that 3 channel tubby low mid thing that I feel like the 2 channels don’t suffer from.

IMO the 3 channel models are why the rectifier lost favor and everyone noped out in the 2010s. My understanding is the multi watts are better but I haven’t crossed paths with one. The 2 channel models just rip. So aggressive.
I might be one of three people on earth who prefers the newer multi-watt versions. The two-channel versions feel a little bit too restrained for me, at least the models do. Also the clean channel is great. I need to buy a load box and do some comparisons between my amp and the Recto 2 models.

I might be one of three people on earth who prefers the newer multi-watt versions. The two-channel versions feel a little bit too restrained for me, at least the models do. Also the clean channel is great. I need to buy a load box and do some comparisons between my amp and the Recto 2 models.
It’s been a while since sitting down with 2 or 3 channel, but I do remember thinking the clean on the 3 channel was way better with the pushed tones. Raw is also awesome.

I’m genuinely curious and optimistic about trying a multi watt, but right now I’m chasing the thing the 2 channel does. I’d take a multi watt if I found a killer deal though.

Have you had any issues with channels popping when you switch between them?

there's a pop on the switching relays on mesa when you change channels, the first time after powering on, if you run thru all the channels once and get the pops out it doesn't keep popping every time you change channels

I have had that on my Rectos. Seems like static build up. Only happens once. My old original 5150s did that switching on the efx loop the first time after power up as well.

recto models would really benefit from channel volume controls, i think a lot of the tonal unobtainum is variable impedance into the phase inverter. on the amps there's a big interaction with channel volume and master

Seems like static build up

idk i pop too when first change channels after powering up

226cc36a358a287e7672b7f83be5cfdf.gif

recto models would really benefit from channel volume controls, i think a lot of the tonal unobtainum is variable impedance into the phase inverter. on the amps there's a big interaction with channel volume and master
Curious minds might be interested in elaboration here. What’s going on there and to what effect?

A good example of what the Master volume does across the range.
I believe that's a current production multi-watt with 20% Log Master Pots.

On 2 (9:00 o'clock) the sparkle is gone.

nice comparison of a rev F Triple absolutely stomping all over a MW. I do think they could possible be dialled in to sound closer, but the Rev F has that Recto thing I love - BIG LOWS+RASPY TOP.

nice comparison of a rev F Triple absolutely stomping all over a MW. I do think they could possible be dialled in to sound closer, but the Rev F has that Recto thing I love - BIG LOWS+RASPY TOP.

In other words, no Mids?? :idk

:LOL:

The worst live tones I have heard from national touring acts all involved Rectifiers. Some were
so atrocious you couldn't hear any guitar. You could feel it. But you couldn't hear it. :facepalm

In other words, no Mids?? :idk

:LOL:

The worst live tones I have heard from national touring acts all involved Rectifiers. Some were
so atrocious you couldn't hear any guitar. You could feel it. But you couldn't hear it. :facepalm
I wouldn’t say no mids, it’s more that the low end and top end extend out and have more emphasis than other amps. I actually find Fluff’s tones a bit honky and midrangey here, a scooped sound is more how you dial it in (and mic it up) than the inherent sound itself.

but yeah, easy to make these sound bad and more often than not people don’t dial them in well. Still, absolutely bucket loads of albums where they used rectifiers and got killer tones (and certainly on more albums than I could name for most other amps too). Mark series amps are also easy to make sound bad, and too scooped. Just depends on how it’s set up

Ok. I will say, "No Mids!" Again! :LOL:

I love Rectifiers. Own a Trem-O-Verb..... and think the way Rectos were used and dialed in also
did as much to ruin great guitar tones as create them. Rectos were a double-edged sword from
my perspective. Is that Bass? No. It's guitar occupying the low end in spades, and vacating the Mids. :wat

There is a reason a lot of those iconic Rectifier tones were actually blended with a Marshall. Sometimes
a lot. Sometimes a little. But they had to use a Marshall to get what? Oh yeah, Mids. :beer

As I said to you earlier, I don't understand why his MW recto sounds so shitty compared to mine. His has no gain, lacks bollocks, and has nasally mids. Mine doesn't at all! I'll do some more clips if I have to, but mine sounds pretty damn stonkin' !

its me again
season 1 s1 GIF by Dream Corp LLC

Diving into the orange channel again, red gets a bit too much attention considering how diverse and fun the orange channel can be.

As we know, in vintage mode the Orange channel has NFB and the presence pot works like most amps. In Orange Modern mode, the NFB is disconnected. On the real amp, this means the Orange channel presence pot becomes inactive (besides maybe some VERY subtle crosstalk stuff going on).

@FractalAudio

In the Fractal Recto1 Orange Modern mode, the presence pot affects the tone a LOT which is nothing like the amp behaviour. I'm assuming (because NFB is at 0) that this presence control is copying the Red Channel's presence (which is a filter at the end of the preamp). Should this be set to 10 to make it closer to the real amp behaviour?

The way it currently behaves isn't like the real amp - it leads to dialling in things very differently and landing on tones that the real amp wouldn't produce. I verified this behaviour using the Mercuriall plugin, and its also commonly written about online:
IMG_8189.JPG

IMO the Orange Modern mode shouldn't have a presence control on the Tone/Authentic page, and at default settings it should reflect the behaviour of the original amp. If Recto1 Red Vintage (red channel cloning the orange channel) gets added, it would be awesome to have both presence controls.

Anyone able to verify this?

EDIT: Also finding myself needing to use the MV Bright cap on the orange channel to match the real amp

Last edited:
Back