(UPDATED for new FW!) EVH amp vs Axe Fx, QC and TMP...

I've never heard of that load box before so I looked it up. Given its size I'm guessing it's one of those Two Notes-style loads with just a capacitor and a small inductor. In this case I would try the Double Notes or Oxbow impedance curves.

An amp like the 5153 is sensitive to the impedance curve at low frequencies because it has a fixed Depth circuit. On the OG 5153 the red channel has a 150K resistor in parallel w/ a 6.8nF cap which reduces the feedback considerably at low frequencies. This makes the power amp sensitive to the impedance at those frequencies. As those Two Note-style load boxes don't have an LF resonance but rather a shelving response the real amp into a load like that will have more low frequency content.

Also FWIW I could've sworn that I read that the red channel of the Stealth was the same as the OG 5153. It was only the blue channel that was different.

I'll ask RedSeven about it. In any case it sounds a lot better than the Captor X.

That doesn't sound grate at all!
1024px-Grate-cheese.jpg
I ment to say, I have not played every amp in the world. I would never play a model I did not like to play. But a lot of the models sound and feel grate

It might not be. It might just be baked into the poweramp model with one fixed response for its matching cab, which is how it works in Helix.
Just re-reading the quote from the fender rep and it makes it sound like the impedance curves are handled within the IR section (which is why he's recommending a fender IR). If it is indeed baked into the IR's, that'll make those IR's sound crap for 99% of situations, and it means all of the amps will sound bad for any other IR's.

Definitely curious to know how they're handling that because its critical for getting accurate sounding amps.

Last edited:
Just re-reading the quote from the fender rep and it makes it sound like the impedance curves are handled within the IR section (which is why he's recommending a fender IR). If it is indeed baked into the IR's, that'll make those sound crap for 99% of situations, and it means all of the amps will sound bad for any other IR's.

Definitely curious to know how they're handling that because its critical for getting accurate sounding amps.
Yeah. Reading their answers at TGP, it’s not clear at all to me. Somebody asked straight up if the unit switches impedance curves based on the cab model and so far, crickets. I have a sneaking suspicion it works just like Helix in this regard, and is being used as a convenient “explanation” for why it didn’t sound that great, but I could definitely be wrong! :)

100% agree, and you've been consistently making really good and unbiased comparisons for years IMO.

Fender TMP sounds off. Doesn't sound like a little different circuit, it sounds completely off. That's on them, not on you and other users.
💯

The post about the squirrels 🐿️ and disembodied gain structure describes it perfectly IMO

It’s like Helix circa 2015 launch so the fact that Fender team is old L6
Designers pre Ben Adrian makes total sense

I've never heard of that load box before so I looked it up. Given its size I'm guessing it's one of those Two Notes-style loads with just a capacitor and a small inductor. In this case I would try the Double Notes or Oxbow impedance curves.

An amp like the 5153 is sensitive to the impedance curve at low frequencies because it has a fixed Depth circuit. On the OG 5153 the red channel has a 150K resistor in parallel w/ a 6.8nF cap which reduces the feedback considerably at low frequencies. This makes the power amp sensitive to the impedance at those frequencies. As those Two Note-style load boxes don't have an LF resonance but rather a shelving response the real amp into a load like that will have more low frequency content.

Also FWIW I could've sworn that I read that the red channel of the Stealth was the same as the OG 5153. It was only the blue channel that was different.

Just heard back from RedSeven. It’s a full inductive reactive load

The post about the squirrels 🐿️ and disembodied gain structure describes it perfectly IMO

It’s like Helix circa 2015 launch so the fact that Fender team is old L6
Designers pre Ben Adrian makes total sense
I don't think this is true. They have an ex-Line 6 guy over there, but I don't think he's a coder or DSP guy or anything like that.

Ahhh, now I see. I suffer from dyslexia, it`s been a struggle all my life.
I`ll try to remember this in the future, but I can`t remember what I eat last night, haha

It also doesn’t help that we have about a million words in the English language that sound exactly the same but mean different things. Except and Accept are a perfect example.

And this is also a grate-
Drainage-angleshot.jpg

I don't think this is true. They have an ex-Line 6 guy over there, but I don't think he's a coder or DSP guy or anything like that.

That's right. LinkedIn states that Max was a VP of Products and Marketing at L6. Not a coder.

Last edited:
Can't fully remember but I have a feeling the 50W Blue channel is the same/similar to the 100W Stealth Blue channel. I think a lot of the Stealth mods were things that got tweaked with new products that got added back to the OG circuit. I modded my 100W to Stealth specs and the main difference was the blue channel. On the Stealth circuit, the blue interacts with the red channel as they share some gain stages, so the position of the gain knob on the blue channel affects the red slightly.

Maybe not but I can see from the sound that it has similarities to the early helix engine as far as tones on the high gain stuff at least to my ears that was a fair comparison

Back