(UPDATED for new FW!) EVH amp vs Axe Fx, QC and TMP...

I was also positively surprised at how well the QC did here. I guess some of their amp models are more accurate than others but this one sounds great! Not exactly the same but definitely captures that essence.
are the quad cortex models generally not accurate? I’ve only used the plugins (besides quickly messing around on my mates QC) but the plugins have always been pretty dead on to me. I figured because their models are more like ML captures (across every setting and mode) they’re always fairly close, so long as the amp they captured from was in good condition and survived the long capture process.

Very interesting to hear that the TMP is changing impedance curves with its built in cabs, this is a good step. I’m guessing because the user can’t adjust this, when using external IR’s it’s giving a very weird response. I remember having some odd experiences with STL plugins with external IR’s until I realised i was essentially running them with a resistive load. When I switched to an appropriate cab load model, they became much more accurate

are the quad cortex models generally not accurate? I’ve only used the plugins (besides quickly messing around on my mates QC) but the plugins have always been pretty dead on to me. I figured because their models are more like ML captures (across every setting and mode) they’re always fairly close, so long as the amp they captured from was in good condition and survived the long capture process.

Very interesting to hear that the TMP is changing impedance curves with its built in cabs, this is a good step. I’m guessing because the user can’t adjust this, when using external IR’s it’s giving a very weird response. I remember having some odd experiences with STL plugins with external IR’s until I realised i was essentially running them with a resistive load. When I switched to an appropriate cab load model, they became much more accurate

I haven't tried every single model on the QC but the Rectifiers for example, those aren't accurate imho.

Changing the impedance curves is cool, most modelers do that though, I guess often that is "baked into" the cabs themselves. However that does not at all mean that loading IRs should sound bad. In fact, it works for just about any other modeler out there. A simple general impedance curve pre the IR block could remedy this if this is really an issue at all.

I haven't tried every single model on the QC but the Rectifiers for example, those aren't accurate imho.
I remember with my friends unit we had to set the master volume VERY low to get it sounding like our amps (we had a Rev G, Triple Rev 3 channel, Dual Rec MW in the room at the time). I think with Rectifiers, it’s always because they are so sensitive to the load that they used, so even a slightly different one will sound completely different. I currently have 3 load boxes hooked up to an amp switcher and some amps just sound totally different when you switch, while others it’s more subtle. I think they just used a load that maybe wasn’t ideal, it’s happened with IK’s Mesa stuff too.

Which other modellers are switching impedance curves under the hood?

The only ones I’m aware of are Fractal, Amperium and STL’s Amphub (and LL and JM Tonality’s). Most modellers and plugins are created under one fixed load, usually/hopefully a matching cabinet but often it’s a reactive load box.

@GuitarJon great work. I need to try the red channel model on the Axe after watching that!

FWIW one of the Fender reps there messaged me after I did my initial video with the TMP with some copypasta about updating firmware and setting levels. Nice to know they didn't watch the video.

@MirrorProfiles that experience with Recto's and loads mirrors mine. Very fussy amps!

@GuitarJon great work. I need to try the red channel model on the Axe after watching that!

FWIW one of the Fender reps there messaged me after I did my initial video with the TMP with some copypasta about updating firmware and setting levels. Nice to know they didn't watch the video.

@MirrorProfiles that experience with Recto's and loads mirrors mine. Very fussy amps!

Cheers mate! Yeah the EVH models in the Fractal are really killer! I like em :)

Screen Shot 2023-11-03 at 6.43.28 AM.png

Just listening on monitors, there's a certain bloom to the low end that the real amp has that the others just don't do. The palm mutes sound bigger and jump forward.

The TMP sounds hilariously bad by comparison, IMO it shouldn't have been released in that state even if EVH's tone approvement panel disagrees.

Just listening on monitors, there's a certain bloom to the low end that the real amp has that the others just don't do. The palm mutes sound bigger and jump forward.

The TMP sounds hilariously bad by comparison, IMO it shouldn't have been released in that state even if EVH's tone approvement panel disagrees.
I only watched the video briefly but I didn't see if @GuitarJon had turned the Speaker Compression and Speaker Drive off. When using an amp into a load box you don't get any compression or distortion from the speaker (obviously). Speaker Compression and Speaker Drive will reduce transients like palm mutes.

I only watched the video briefly but I didn't see if @GuitarJon had turned the Speaker Compression and Speaker Drive off. When using an amp into a load box you don't get any compression or distortion from the speaker (obviously). Speaker Compression and Speaker Drive will reduce transients like palm mutes.

Good question! I left all of that at the default position but I don't know what those are because I didn't take a look. In any case, the Fractal sounded really good! Next time I'll definitely keep that in mind. I used the standard 5153 impedance curve as well.

There’s an awful lot of member’s with low post counts over there who have something to say about the test. :rofl

These are the shills you are looking for.

Edit- Also, changing an impedance curve has NEVER turned an amp from “This is badass” to “This is a muddy mess” for me.

Are those controls linked to the impedance curve and master volume settings or are they more generalised? presumably they’d be quite heavily linked to other parameters?

There’s an awful lot of member’s with low post counts over there who have something to say about the test. :rofl

Edit- Also, changing an impedance curve has NEVER turned an amp from “This is badass” to “This is a muddy mess” for me.
Yeah using the impedance curve excuse really shouldn't hold water in regards to something that is otherwise PlaySkool My First Modeler.

I was digging through the big TMP thread trying to find my thoughts on the Stealth to see if I was being InfluencedTM by this discussion. It looks like I really dug the GT 5150 model into DynaCabs and FAS post fx (because duh) but I don't recall liking the TMP 5150 much if at all. I ended up going back and forth between a boosted Uber and the Recto (surprise!) I do seem to recall being underwhelmed at something that was played up as such a big hyped bullet point.

I still think the first real FW drop will tell the tale.

Guys, I made an objective comparison with no intent to make anybody look bad. I level matched everything to make the test as clear as possible. This simply is how the gear sounds. I wanted the TMP to succeed because it's a cool device. If you watch my review you can see that I'm quite positive for the most part while I also state my criticisms on things that can be improved upon. Don't shoot the messenger.

100% agree, and you've been consistently making really good and unbiased comparisons for years IMO.

Fender TMP sounds off. Doesn't sound like a little different circuit, it sounds completely off. That's on them, not on you and other users.

100% agree, and you've been consistently making really good and unbiased comparisons for years IMO.

+100. @GuitarJon has probably been the best source of leveled, unbiased shootouts for years now. I really enjoy his content.

Hell, the fact that he took the time to note that all clips were level-matched puts him above of about 93% all gear "reviewers" out there.

Last edited:

For me it's a fairly subtle change, sometimes moves the EQ of the highs and lows a little but it's not drastic.

+100. @GuitarJon has probably been the best source of leveled, unbiased shootouts for years now. I really enjoy his content.

Hell, the fact that he took the time to note that all clips were level-matched puts him about 93% of all gear "reviewers" out there.

Totally. There's nothing dumber than a video where one is clearly several DB louder than the other and the "reviewer" is lauding the tone of the loud one.

I feel like every time someone talks about something they don’t like over there suddenly a new member with no posts comes in raving about how much they love that thing in the TMP

Back