(UPDATED for new FW!) EVH amp vs Axe Fx, QC and TMP...

Marshall videos will be what sways the boat
Swaying Frank Sinatra GIF by Eternal Family

I'm hearing the same thing in this comparison that I always used in the past to pick the real amp and Axe FX in @GuitarJon 's blind tests of yore. I think of all his blind tests, I only missed the Axe FX once.

It's the preservation of high-frequency harmonics in high gain chords. The Axe FX has always excelled at this, while other modelers struggle. In weaker modelers, those upper harmonics get smeared together, and lose definition. In the worst cases, they vanish altogether and make the chord voicing sound slightly different.

Here's what I'm talking about. Listen for the highest overtones in the chords in each of these clips.

Amp followed by Fractal:

Amp followed by Quad Cortex:

Amp followed by Tone Master Pro:

The Tone Master is really falling apart in this regard. FWIW, the Helix used to struggle with this as well, but in recent models/firmware it has gotten very close to Fractal in this aspect.

Excellent comparison.

Further cements my opinion on the TMP based on everything i've heard so far: very nice UX, beautiful Fender cleans, spongy convolution reverbs... but everything else sounds a bit lackluster tbh.
again i say: fender should have released this will like all their unique fender amps in it only.at 1k....why the gtx100 approach for this? they are fender right? stick to fender

Kinda a double-whammy on the EVH models; supposedly Matt Bruck, Ed’s right-hand man, is the one who signed off on the EVH models after he was being very picky about them.
i call bs on that whole story: its like when you read actors backstories-most of them are bs and fakery as are their names most of the time.Same with cia/inqtel and silicon valley..all fakery

Last edited:
i call bs on that whole story: its like when you read actors backstories-most of them are bs and fakery as are their names most of the time.
I doubt if the whole story is false. It's probably safe to say there was some pressure for EVH to eventually sign off on the model since the brand is under the Fender umbrella, though. Otherwise EVH probably wouldn't have risked putting any kind of endorsement on a model of such a well-respected amp brand.

again i say: fender should have released this will like all their unique fender amps in it only.at 1k....why the gtx100 approach for this? they are fender right? stick to fender
From everything I've seen about this the hardware is done right, and it's the programming that's lacking just like the QC. The QC isn't even where they promised they would be 'SOON" after launch. Laughable.

Good hardware costs $$$ to make. They went for a flagship model out the gate, and only got it half (OK maybe 2/3's right). Not good enough though IMO when an FM9 at the same cost wipes the floor with it.

Fender has to get their shit together fast. Helix is still way better (but not improving much these days).

Fractal has had a major reverb update. Released Cab Lab 4 for free with Dyna-Cabs you can purchase. But you can also mix any regular IR's you have. And even made minor updates to their amp modelling. All very recently. The gap just gets wider.

C'mon Fender. Are you gonna do Fender things, or are you gonna step up for once and play with the big boys.

Sincerely,

Not Hopeful

From everything I've seen about this the hardware is done right, and it's the programming that's lacking just like the QC. The QC isn't even where they promised they would be 'SOON" after launch. Laughable.

Good hardware costs $$$ to make. They went for a flagship model out the gate, and only got it half (OK maybe 2/3's right). Not good enough though IMO when an FM9 at the same cost wipes the floor with it.

Fender has to get their shit together fast. Helix is still way better (but not improving much these days).

Fractal has had a major reverb update. Released Cab Lab 4 for free with Dyna-Cabs you can purchase. But you can also mix any regular IR's you have. And even made minor updates to their amp modelling. All very recently. The gap just gets wider.

C'mon Fender. Are you gonna do Fender things, or are you gonna step up for once and play with the big boys.

Sincerely,

Not Hopeful
fractal is primed to take the whole market if they put a slick gui on the axefx4/fm10 next unit but it has to come 2024

Just a friendly reminder that unless Fender, Fractal Audio, and Neural DSP all modeled the EXACT amplifier with the EXACT component values, all three models will sound different from the real amp.

TL;DR This comparison, like most A/B comparisons, is flawed.

Just a friendly reminder that unless Fender, Fractal Audio, and Neural DSP all modeled the EXACT amplifier with the EXACT component values, all three models will sound different.

TD;DR This comparison, like most A/B comparisons, is flawed.
True, and that's a great point. But, the difference that I'm hearing in the TMP's EVH model is the same difference I've often heard in lesser modelers/plugins of the past, so I'm inclined to believe it's at least as much the TMP's model as it is the specific amp they modeled.

The TMP's hardware seems capable. They just need to catch up with the software/modeling, which is arguably the hardest part, because of the specialized knowledge and experience it requires.

Back