Tonex Pedal....It's REAL

8fy6uz.jpg

Coz I'm a slag and I'm loving Mesa tones right now.

I think the recto tones they've got here are actually really good. Compared to what I get from my one, they definitely seem right to me.
They sound correct for sure, but you have the means to achieve these tones AS WELL as having the means to adjust them to your exact taste. Unless Doug McDougalburger knows how to dial a Recto to your tastes better than you do. Some people definitely like having curated tones like that

Yeah, if the capture process and input level shit were better laid out, I'd use it more for sure. I followed James' and I think MirrorProfiles' information about input levels and calibration, and Helix Native now sounds F'ing nuts. I'm using it constantly, sometimes more than the Fractal because it's on the computer.

yA wElL yoU cAn’T uSe A frACtaL wIthoUT a CompUteR aNywAy sO yoU rEaLly dOn’T liKe HELix NaTIVe As muCH aS yoU thINK

Yes you can. Just disconnect the USB and leave the computer at home. Look at small but friendly-in-a-TRON-way screen, and twisty the knobs. 😂
I would panic if I had to build a preset on the Axe Fx III without the editor with others watching haha

Sorry if this has been answered before: did anybody post the maximum input gain on the ToneX pedal?

The input gain on the pedal IIRC is + 15dB at max. Range of -15dBU to +15dBU.

But what I think you're asking is for the SW or the interface, that is apparently super top secret shit/or their algo doesn't quite work that way to where IK hasn't shared to date -even with @MirrorProfiles after multiple asks.

Best that can be done is to ask what someone's chain dBU is when they did their capture. Similar to what you and Slammin have done with your NAM captures on ToneHunt.

Sorry if this has been answered before: did anybody post the maximum input gain on the ToneX pedal?
from memory the pedal is about 8dBu at default settings but that’s just going off what someone told me, I haven’t checked myself.

No idea if that correlates to IK’s own captures

The input gain on the pedal IIRC is + 15dB at max. Range of -15dBU to +15dBU.

But what I think you're asking is for the SW or the interface, that is apparently super top secret shit/or their algo doesn't quite work that way to where IK hasn't shared to date -even with @MirrorProfiles after multiple asks.

Best that can be done is to ask what someone's chain dBU is when they did their capture. Similar to what you and Slammin have done with your NAM captures on ToneHunt.
True, that'd be required after you get profiles onto the unit (depending on what profiles get pushed to it and who profiled stuff etc).
from memory the pedal is about 8dBu at default settings but that’s just going off what someone told me, I haven’t checked myself.

No idea if that correlates to IK’s own captures
Thanks. Just looking at what my options are now for something that can get me good amp sounds but also portable & not crazy complicated to switch between. ToneX came to mind & thought I could profile my own stuff onto it; it has Reverb - would have been great if they had some delay in there too.
Gonna do some more reading etc.

Thanks folks.

With the latest settings in my opinion and usage I add 8.5dB to the input trim in the SW and on the pedal since they made the change to the original settings.

The settings match at least the amps I'm familiar with and in doing comparisons with some that provide sound clips.

Since you would be capturing your own amps most likely, it would be easy for you to compare and match them up with the appropriate input trim level.

With the latest settings in my opinion and usage I add 8.5dB to the input trim in the SW and on the pedal since they made the change to the original settings.

The settings match at least the amps I'm familiar with and in doing comparisons with some that provide sound clips.

Since you would be capturing your own amps most likely, it would be easy for you to compare and match them up with the appropriate input trim level.
Man it is a shame IK did not release some kind of capture hardware at the start. then there would be some kind of standard value instead of all this guess work. All of my QC captures are level aligned because they are all captured with a QC. I'm sure Kemper is the same but Tonocracy, ToneX, Genome, anything based on NAM, these are all gonna be all over the place.

The manual says the input trim should be set in such a way that on strums you get a "OK" level. I set it so that if I strum hard I get quick peaks into "HI" and that's around 7-8db. Obviously this should be set per guitar and probably knowing what the initial level was won't matter much when you account for cables, other pedals, pickups etc.
Main problem I have with the Tonex pedal is the output level which is very low compared to other preamp pedals ...

Back