Tonex Pedal....It's REAL

Our transfer process is here: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/index.php?id=44

IK Support would need to answer any specific questions outside of that which apply to your particular scenario or potential scenario.
How does one test drive the pedal. My local dealer has an exception clause in its 30 day return policy for devices that come with software that has to be registered. I believe that even if I use TONEX CS to try out the pedal, the software still requires registration. Will the TONEX CS registration trigger (or potentially trigger) the dealer’s exception clause.

How does one test drive the pedal.
If it were me? Buy one, try it out, and if the dealer gives you shit about retuning it for a full-refund, call your credit card company and do a charge-back.

You shouldn’t have to jump through so many hoops just to see if whether or not you like a product. Let them deal with the licensing and logistics.

Last edited:
If it were me? Buy one, try it out, and if the dealer gives you s**t about retuning it for a full-refund, call your credit card company and do a charge-back.

You shouldn’t have to jump through so many hoops just to see if whether or not you like a product.
Why should it fall on either myself or the local merchant to have to contend with the situation. The issue falls directly out of IK Multi Media’s registration requirement. They should provide some method that allows me to try out the pedal without having to resort to shenanigans using the credit card company. :(

Why should it fall on either myself or the local merchant to have to contend with the situation. The issue falls directly out of IK Multi Media’s registration requirement. They should provide some method that allows me to try out the pedal without having to resort to shenanigans using the credit card company.
They should, in-theory. But with the current options, I’d throw it back in the dealer’s court. You gave them the money. If they refuse to refund, let the credit card company deal with them. Happens every single day.

You know. Better yet, I have a close friend who works for the FTC. I’m going to get his opinion on this whole thing.

Disclaimer: I fucking love my TONEX Pedal.

Imagine buying a new Samsung Smart TV from say, Beat Buy. You get it home, turn it on, and find out that you only had access to 20 YouTube, DVDs, or channels on your Cable Box at a time, and if you wanted access to all of them, you had to upgrade to the MAX software. Otherwise, you’d have to view bursts of static every 30 seconds.

Fast forward to a few days later… you decide that the TV isn’t working out for you, so you drive to Best Buy to return it, only to find that the SmartTV software is non-returnable. Or you have to go on Samsung’s website to transfer the registration or whatever.

How well do you think that business model would work for Samsung or Best Buy?

Last edited:
Imagine buying a new Samsung Smart TV from say, Beat Buy. You get it home, turn it on, and find out that you only had access to 20 channels at a time, and if you wanted access to all of them, you had to upgrade to the MAX software. Otherwise, you’d have to view bursts of static every 30 seconds.

Fast forward to a few days later… you decide that the TV isn’t working out for you, so you drive to Best Buy to return it, only to find that the SmartTV software is non-returnable. Or you have to go on Samsung’s website to transfer the registration or whatever.

How well do you think that business model would work for Samsung or Best Buy?

Or better yet they told you you’d get a channel on the TV shortly after you bought it, and then they added it for $99 on on your computer and said they would now work on TV compatibility as their top priority.

Shit, wrong thread.

Or better yet they told you you’d get a channel on the TV shortly after you bought it, and then they added it for $99 on on your computer and said they would now work on TV compatibility as their top priority.

s**t, wrong thread.
DE6F9C35-A35A-451E-AE9F-2D277096EF41.gif

They should, in-theory. But with the current options, I’d throw it back in the dealer’s court. You gave them the money. If they refuse to refund, let the credit card company deal with them. Happens every single day.
I could do that. But I’ve been dealing with them for 30 years or so and am not inclined to throw lye in the water of what to date has been a relaxed and fruitful relationship.

An old adage says ‘Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth.’ But this isn’t a gift horse. And I very much want to see what its teeth look like.

And trying the TONEX software on a computer isn’t comparable to trying out the pedal. I want to find out what its like to use, both in terms of integrating it with other devices and determining how the UI is to navigate as well as what the effect is of adjusting parameters.

I have both a FM3 and an HX Stomp. In both cases I could have returned the device within the allotted timeframe and received a complete refund. Selling hardware, even if dependent on software for its operation, is a different proposition than selling software.

You know. Better yet, I have a close friend who works for the FTC. I’m going to get his opinion on this whole thing.
Get that opinion in context of the dealer's 30-day software registration clause because that's not our policy from what I'm seeing. We have our terms and conditions clearly written on our site with nothing about that at https://www.ikmultimedia.com/legal/ unless I missed something.

Also, there may just be a misunderstanding at and/or with that dealer since this is software that unlocks with registration of the TONEX Pedal, not a separate registration - perhaps that 30-day clause is for software serials that ship with the products? The only ones I can think of that apply for us would be third party licenses like the Ableton Live Lite or similar that we've done with some hardware.

Edit - and if @signalpath would like to PM me the dealer name and location I can have somebody look into it. I can try to do it without specifying a dealer, but that might prove difficult or in the end be obvious if this is a unique issue.

Last edited:
And trying the TONEX software on a computer isn’t comparable to trying out the pedal. I want to find out what its like to use, both in terms of integrating it with other devices and determining how the UI is to navigate as well as what the effect is of adjusting parameters.
This.
I have both a FM3 and an HX Stomp. In both cases I could have returned the device within the allotted timeframe and received a complete refund. Selling hardware, even if dependent on software for its operation, is a different proposition than selling software.
“This is the way.”

and if @signalpath would like to PM me the dealer name and location I can have somebody look into it. I can try to do it without specifying a dealer, but that might prove difficult or in the end be obvious if this is a unique issue.
I am replying to you here because if there are other Canadians who are interested in this they will be able to see what you turn up. The dealer is Long & McQuade. Thanks.

[redacted - technically the FTC reference moves this topic to something that can be discussed with someone in our legal department if our posted information doesn't answer the questions so I'll bow out of such discussions as I am not a lawyer]

Thank you for the information, @signalpath, I will ask our rep but since this seems to be their policy directly and not ours it may be for them (L&M) to clarify and/or make an exception if this is an additional set of terms on their side. Edit - I've just messaged the person here who works with them and will let you know any pertinent information.

Last edited:
redacted - technically the FTC reference moves this topic to something that can be discussed with someone in our legal department if our posted information doesn't answer the questions so I'll bow out of such discussions as I am not a lawyer]
Please don’t take my post as a legal threat. I was simply seeking an opinion from someone familiar in that area. ❤️

Please don’t take my post as a legal threat. I was simply seeking an opinion from someone familiar in that area. ❤️
Cool, that's good. Also, I am checking but I really think there's unclear information and if it is our fault or we can fix it regardless I'll have someone take care. I did notice some more information that needed to be updated with regard to being clear about the 2-year warranty in the process so there's already been at least some initial silver lining! :)

Back