Tonex Pedal....It's REAL

Apologies if this has been addressed already.

Interesting that Jason Sadites is having to lower the input gain on his ToneX pedal to match what his captures sound like through his DI chain. Does anyone with a ToneX pedal have the means to check what input level this corresponds to in the ToneX software when making a capture?

Apologies if this has been addressed already.

Interesting that Jason Sadites is having to lower the input gain on his ToneX pedal to match what his captures sound like through his DI chain. Does anyone with a ToneX pedal have the means to check what input level this corresponds to in the ToneX software when making a capture?

This has me thinking, how do those that find this necessary have their interface setup in the app?

Couple quick questions about the ToneX pedal. Now that i have to pay full price for it, i wanted to dig into a couple items before swiping my credit card in.

1. Is the included license for ToneX Max transferable if i sell the pedal down the line? As far as i can tell, the device is pretty much unusable (other than going over existing presets) without a computer.
2. Can i have the same ToneX Max license running on multiple devices? I find myself using Linux+VirtuaBox a lot lately on my desktop, and Windows on my work laptop - being able to switch between the two would be awesome.

Couple quick questions about the ToneX pedal. Now that i have to pay full price for it, i wanted to dig into a couple items before swiping my credit card in.

1. Is the included license for ToneX Max transferable if i sell the pedal down the line? As far as i can tell, the device is pretty much unusable (other than going over existing presets) without a computer.
2. Can i have the same ToneX Max license running on multiple devices? I find myself using Linux+VirtuaBox a lot lately on my desktop, and Windows on my work laptop - being able to switch between the two would be awesome.
1. TBD. I believe there was a point with their software where you could buy a license transfer? I think it takes a bit after initial release for that to come into effect?

2. You have 10 instances, iirc. Though in my license manager; I have Tone-X. Not Max. Not sure on why that is given what I assumed on the initial rollout?

This has me thinking, how do those that find this necessary have their interface setup in the app?
Yeah i’m wondering this too. I’d have thought everyone calibrates their interface for ToneX during the model capturing process, and that the pedal would follow a similar level. Having to reduce it by nearly 15dB from the default seems a bit odd.

Yeah i’m wondering this too. I’d have thought everyone calibrates their interface for ToneX during the model capturing process, and that the pedal would follow a similar level. Having to reduce it by nearly 15dB from the default seems a bit odd.
Exactly, I have an issue where certain high gain captures clip some output hardware component when pushing the volumes available on the main controls. If I lower the global volume 10db I get full range on the main controls, and the input trim doesn't affect the clipping.

The problem of inaccurate gain with captures is between Step 1 (Input Level) and Step 2 (Send Level) of ToneX capturing process, you basically earball it for your specific audio interface, not for the ToneX pedal.

@MirrorProfiles
To check what input level (dBu) ToneX Pedal is using:
Use the ToneX pedal as audio interface and input a 0.707v test tone into the Guitar Input, look in your DAW what -dBFS it reaches.
Then with your normal capturing audio interface send the same -dBFS test tone from your DAW into your Reamp box and adjust the analog Send level on your reamp box until it reads 0.707v.
That way the resulting captures will have accurate gain with the ToneX Pedal when creating captures with your main audio interface and the calibrated Send level on your reamp box.

Last edited:
@IK Multimedia - Something that would be useful is MIDI control for the Global TRIM IN. If you’re using more than one guitar, say a humbucker and a single coil, and want to adjust the trim having to do it using the pedal menus is pretty cumbersome.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll pass it to the team.

"Now that I have to pay full price" - what has changed? If you have TONEX MAX, the $/€100 off is still in effect. If you have JamPoints you can still use them. Just to make sure I'm not missing something here and you're not missing out.

1. The included license is not transferable directly, no. Any software unlocked via registering hardware would not be transferable.
2. You can install on three computers as long as you don't use them simultaneously per our EULA. The 10 authorizations is a holdover from the days before we had IK Product Manager where you can now de-authorize computers so you really shouldn't need all of them at all. However, we didn't take those away since it is a good failsafe/fallback and it still makes sure any legacy stuff will work as long as possible for those using those products.

"Now that I have to pay full price" - what has changed? If you have TONEX MAX, the $/€100 off is still in effect. If you have JamPoints you can still use them. Just to make sure I'm not missing something here and you're not missing out.

Me having a 30% off coupon which is no longer working for ToneX purchases :LOL:

1. The included license is not transferable directly, no. Any software unlocked via registering hardware would not be transferable.

Umm, this is... problematic. Does it mean that resold ToneX pedals won't be able to credit/edit patches unless a separate ToneX license is purchased - or already owned?

2. You can install on three computers as long as you don't use them simultaneously per our EULA.

Excellent, exactly what i need!

Last edited:
15 dB is about how much I have to turn the input UP in order to make the capture sound like the amp after the capturing process in the software, I wonder if this is actually why

@MirrorProfiles
To check what input level (dBu) ToneX Pedal is using:
Use the ToneX pedal as audio interface and input a 0.707v test tone into the Guitar Input, look in your DAW what -dBFS it reaches.
Then with your normal capturing audio interface send the same -dBFS test tone from your DAW into your Reamp box and adjust the analog Send level on your reamp box until it reads 0.707v.
That way the resulting captures will have accurate gain with the ToneX Pedal when creating captures with your main audio interface and the calibrated Send level on your reamp box.

I don’t have the pedal to check - I’ve created presets using IK’s guide for setting input levels. I’m curious if the pedal matches their own guide levels when creating a preset (I’d imagine this is the case).

I suppose somebody with a HW pedal could check if these match.

Can a user deregister the pedal from their IK account, losing access to Amplitube and Tonex unless they bought them separately? Then you sell the Tonex pedal and the next owner can access all the bundled software?

Someone elsewhere suggested you just give your IK credentials to the buyer.

:wat:wat:wat:wat:wat:wat:wat:wat:wat:wat

"Here's my 47 other pieces of IK software you can have now. Got my 3 bills back out of the deal"

:wat:wat:wat:wat:wat:wat:wat:wat:wat:wat

Can a user deregister the pedal from their IK account, losing access to Amplitube and Tonex unless they bought them separately? Then you sell the Tonex pedal and the next owner can access all the bundled software?
Our transfer process is here: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/index.php?id=44

IK Support would need to answer any specific questions outside of that which apply to your particular scenario or potential scenario.

Our transfer process is here: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/index.php?id=44

IK Support would need to answer any specific questions outside of that which apply to your particular scenario or potential scenario.
I don't have a Tonex pedal, but I definitely would add a FAQ on how to transfer the software to another person with it because people will sell them for whatever reason and being able to sell a full package can be a significant factor in buying it in the first place.

If there is no good process for this atm, there definitely should be so it's as straightforward as possible.
  1. Sell pedal -> deregister pedal -> lose access to Amplitube/Tonex -> package pedal and send it to the new owner.
  2. New owner registers pedal -> gets access to Amplitube/Tonex as if they bought the Tonex pedal new.

I don't have a Tonex pedal, but I definitely would add a FAQ on how to transfer the software to another person with it because people will sell them for whatever reason and being able to sell a full package can be a significant factor in buying it in the first place.

This, a hundred percent.

I understand the pedal is intended to be an extension of the ToneX software suite (and priced accordingly), but the reality is that it is not useful without the software.

If there is no good process for this atm, there definitely should be so it's as straightforward as possible.
  1. Sell pedal -> deregister pedal -> lose access to Amplitube/Tonex -> package pedal and send it to the new owner.
  2. New owner registers pedal -> gets access to Amplitube/Tonex as if they bought the Tonex pedal new.
If they don’t do this people will devise ways to circumvent the shortsighted silliness of how things are currently structured, at least by my understanding.

If not, it’s not hard to imagine a simple strategy that would allow you to make a wholesale transfer of credentials to another person. After all free email accounts are easy to come by and I believe in the final analysis that credentials would rely on being tied to an email account to establish their ultimate authenticity. So if you want to sell the pedal you transfer the email account and all associated software and credentials to the new owner.

I use -15 dB input trim on the tonex pedal and add gain going *into* it if needed, which seems to keep the noise floor lower too. For comparison, I use the same DI track via the app in plugin form and also route it to the pedal with an (as I have measured) unity level reamp.

Unrelated:
I do struggle a LOT with getting the gain correct making a capture though. I don't understand if everyone has this problem or if it's just me, but if I don't push them amps with at least +6-9 dB during capture and then backing it off afterwards, my captures are *always* lacking a lot of gain. I've tried to fix this any number of ways, but its pretty much inevitably the case. Can get problematic if that extra boost changes the character of the amp too much. Doesn't matter if I capture a plugin, all virtual, hardware, etc - always the same.

I'm no stranger - I've done plenty of kemper/QC/NAM and reamping in general. There's something different about the TX capture process that makes it odd.

Back