Tonex Pedal....It's REAL

I don’t need your help. I don’t agree that most guitarists looking to deliver guitar music to an audience or record need more than is on offer in any of this new wave of simpler devices, especially a device that already features whatever amp is a given musician’s particular dream. Which is why the supposedly full-featured flagship device that you own is particularly offensive, since it *still hasn’t delivered on a big chunk of its manufacture’s original claims.
None of these points (of which I was already aware) change the fact that the products in question are fundamentally different in ways that account for their differences in price. My concern here is that you “disagree” with something I never said In the first place (i.e. “most guitarists… need more".)

I own both the “offensive device” and this new contender, for whatever that’s worth.

Last edited:
eric cartman street GIF by South Park

I hope you enjoy both.

You referred to a demographic. I’m simply pointing out that the manufacturers of each of these devices is aware that many guitarists will (correctly) see these new streamlined products as a viable replacement to their flagship rigs.

And while they’re different, a QC owner who doesn’t have unlimited gear funds probably wouldn’t be purchasing a ToneX pedal if the QC had delivered on all its initial promises.

But IK has certainly hit that sweet spot where curiosity, not simply need, gets people adding this thing to their cart.

Based on history, no way would a Kemper version of this kind of thing go for $399.

Power to anyone checking it out, enjoying it, making music and pushing our understanding of it forward.
I understand all (well, OK, most) of this. If it weren't true, I myself wouldn't own a ToneX pedal. I guess I just disagree that we disagreed in the first place. "Many guitarists" != "all guitarists".

Last edited:
Based on history, no way would a Kemper version of this kind of thing go for $399.
I don't think it would have to. Like I would pay a good bit of money for a Fractal small form factor amp/cab box and I think many would also pay more for a Kemper one because it already has a vast array of captures to choose from and more name recognition than IK.

If you look at IK's previous pedal range it was mostly met with a "well I guess if you can't afford a Strymon..." response and only the Tonex has become a true hit - one that might actually make people interested in their other pedals too.

I don't think it would have to. Like I would pay a good bit of money for a Fractal small form factor amp/cab box and I think many would also pay more for a Kemper one because it already has a vast array of captures to choose from and more name recognition than IK.
I think a straight forward Kemper "player" (amp only) could easily command a 50% premium over the ToneX - if it included more effects, probably a 100% premium wouldn't be out of order.

Are they York IRs?
Finally got around to doing some captures with it this weekend and was disappointed by the effect @JiveTurkey mentions.

I like direct caps with the QC because I often run w/ real cabs. So I like a direct no-cab cap w/ IRs for direct stuff.

So anyway just using the plugin, my York IRs sound "bad" in the plugin. i.e. I monitor my line out and apply an IR to monitor (like with say the Two Notes Cab M+) and it sounds good. I feed the direct no-IR output to do a direct cap and then to test it I create a preset with the same York IR and it sounds "small" and "off".

There seems to be an apparent volume drop I am getting w/ IRs... that is probably some (all?) of it. It's pretty bad... would put me off the VST at first blush, especially since it is a pain to setup and captures take quite a while to compute in the advanced setting. If I didn't know better it would easily convince me it was not a 'good' as other options and not worth the effort, although based on other's results I would expect it is something that will either be fixed or there is some issue with my setup/caps.

There seems to be an apparent volume drop I am getting w/ IRs... that is probably some (all?) of it. It's pretty bad... would put me off the VST at first blush, especially since it is a pain to setup and captures take quite a while to compute in the advanced setting. If I didn't know better it would easily convince me it was not a 'good' as other options and not worth the effort, although based on other's results I would expect it is something that will either be fixed or there is some issue with my setup/caps.
I believe that IK can fix this quite easily by giving you the option to adjust the level of the IR, but in the meantime, have you tried the ToneX "stock cabs"?

Finally got around to doing some captures with it this weekend and was disappointed by the effect @JiveTurkey mentions.

I like direct caps with the QC because I often run w/ real cabs. So I like a direct no-cab cap w/ IRs for direct stuff.

So anyway just using the plugin, my York IRs sound "bad" in the plugin. i.e. I monitor my line out and apply an IR to monitor (like with say the Two Notes Cab M+) and it sounds good. I feed the direct no-IR output to do a direct cap and then to test it I create a preset with the same York IR and it sounds "small" and "off".

Sucks about the IRs.

Have you run the pedal direct to your PS to Cab? Thinking that’s how I’ll run mine initially. Curious where you rate the tones in that method.

I believe that IK can fix this quite easily by giving you the option to adjust the level of the IR, but in the meantime, have you tried the ToneX "stock cabs"?
I did try a couple and they seemed markedly better but I want to use my YA faves. :)

Maybe if I get some guitar time this evening, I will try running the ToneX plugin to a different IR plugin, etc, to get some controls over the level, etc. I guess I could use the computer as a preamp and run it into a power amp and cab, too. (edit: see @Whizzinby suggested as much; that is how I would use the ToneX pedal quite often, too).

Ran the Tone-X through the Boogie power section and my 412. Sounds GREAT that way (with cabs disengaged). Sounds great through the Boogie into my F12 rig with IRs on the Stomp. Much like the Kemper; my problem with everything likes in the cabinet part of the capture. I need to pull out my Camplifier and remove the Boogie coloration. I don't that will make a difference to me though. I like the cab emulations that I like and that's that.

Ran the Tone-X through the Boogie power section and my 412. Sounds GREAT that way (with cabs disengaged). Sounds great through the Boogie into my F12 rig with IRs on the Stomp. Much like the Kemper; my problem with everything likes in the cabinet part of the capture. I need to pull out my Camplifier and remove the Boogie coloration. I don't that will make a difference to me though. I like the cab emulations that I like and that's that.
Did you use captures if your badlander?

Did you use captures if your badlander?
Not yet. Depending how late today runs and when I can get home; I might try a capture this evening. Can you combine od pedal and amp captures? I am betting you can't but it would be interesting if you could.

Yes. One of the big advantages of the QC and Tonex over the Kemper (no idea whether it'll always work great but I already heard some great merged captures from both QC and Tonex (software)).
If we’re talking about one capture of a signal chain comprised of both OD and amp, then Kemper can do that as well. But maybe I’m misunderstanding? If you want to run two separate captures in series - one of OD and one of amp, and mix and match - I believe only QC will get you there right now.

Back