Tonex Pedal....It's REAL

You’ve got to judge a device like this on how it sounds with its best content loaded, and on that basis it sounds killer. Completely insane for the $$$. However, there are plenty of “meh” tones interspersed with the good stuff, and the content doesn’t seem to be in any identifiable order. Which is problematic when you throw in cutesy lawsuit repellant naming and an 8 character display. :(

tl;dr:
Sounds AWESOME.
Content: dog’s breakfast
UI: Bad. Just bad. Could have been vastly improved with just a few moments additional thought, and probably no additional cost.
Yeah, best to completely build the preset with effects in the app and drag it over.

Regarding the capturing process, anyone with any real life experience using an M1/M2 CPU equipped Macbook or Macbook Air? I'd really like to know how long that takes (at highest quality).
Dunno. Honestly, I've been fighting the Audient's software for outputs on 3 or 4, so I've sadly not been able to get it to work right. I just made an offer on an AxeIO Solo though, so perhaps this week. I wanted a second interface for portability anyway.

You’ve got to judge a device like this on how it sounds with its best content loaded, and on that basis it sounds killer. Completely insane for the $$$. However, there are plenty of “meh” tones interspersed with the good stuff, and the content doesn’t seem to be in any identifiable order. Which is problematic when you throw in cutesy lawsuit repellant naming and an 8 character display. :(

tl;dr:
Sounds AWESOME.
Content: dog’s breakfast
UI: Bad. Just bad. Could have been vastly improved with just a few moments additional thought, and probably no additional cost.
Step 1: Get ToneX
Step 2: Follow Deadpan on the Tone.net
Step 3: Rock out and make faces in the mirror

Dunno. Honestly, I've been fighting the Audient's software for outputs on 3 or 4, so I've sadly not been able to get it to work right. I just made an offer on an AxeIO Solo though, so perhaps this week. I wanted a second interface for portability anyway.

Please report back once you've got things sorted. One of my plans for this year would be to get a Macbook Air - and then pretty likely this very Tonex box. Might not be the right thing for the pedalboard, but it'd help to finally consolidate the recording mess.

That profile you posted in reply to IK‘s high gain myth post at The OtherPlace sounds f*cking GREAT! If I didn’t have stuff I was working on today, I’d be loading up ToneX now and getting that profile.
I believe that was of the 1987x which I haven't shared. I have been stock piling captures in hopes of a IK 3rd party store.

Last edited:
If I have to turn on a PC, somebody receives an invoice. ;)
Haven’t received the Pedal yet, but with the Tonex software version using it as a plug-in you just click on ToneNET, and enter a amps brand or name or a Tone models creator’s name and it brings up a list Tone Models that can be sorted a few different ways. Super easy. If you breakdown and visit ToneNET things will be super simple other than firing up your computer.

In my personal opinion, anybody who only needed the functionality of a ToneX pedal but was prepared to drop $1800 on a QC, had to have been out of their minds - even before the ToneX was available. Or maybe just way wealthier than me LOL.

Not that i disagree with you, but given the number of people i read spending $$$ just to add external effects units to their QC, it will be interesting to see this play out in the near future. My guess is that a non-insignificant number of QC users were drawn in mostly by the ability of running profiles in a compact unit.

Haven’t received the Pedal yet, but with the Tonex software version using it as a plug-in you just click on ToneNET, and enter a amps brand or name or a Tone models creator’s name and it brings up a list Tone Models that can be sorted a few different ways. Super easy. If you breakdown and visit ToneNET things will be super simple other than firing up your computer.
Step one is being near a computer in the first place, which isn’t always a given for me. But yeah, this makes sense for initial searching/ transfer/ organization processes.

The “problem” (first world as ever) comes when you need to make minor contextual changes to what’s already on your board (eg at rehearsal or tuning for a room at sound check.) Things like tweaking reverb color etc (which by the way, can be very effective), is far clumsier than it could or should have been.

Not that i disagree with you, but given the number of people i read spending $$$ just to add external effects units to their QC, it will be interesting to see this play out in the near future. My guess is that a non-insignificant number of QC users were drawn in mostly by the ability of running profiles in a compact unit.
Sure, and that will better suit some people (ie those with very specific tastes in stomp boxes, etc. and fewer requirements in the way of programmable routing, etc.) Two different approaches for two different scenarios.

I don’t think we should underestimate the QCs ability to apply multiple captures simultaneously, either. We’re really comparing an apple and a fruit basket.

Step one is being near a computer in the first place, which isn’t always a given for me. But yeah, this makes sense for initial searching/ transfer/ organization processes.

The “problem” (first world as ever) comes when you need to make minor contextual changes to what’s already on your board (eg at rehearsal or tuning for a room at sound check.) Things like tweaking reverb color etc (which by the way, can be very effective), is far clumsier than it could or should have been.
Wouldn’t just having an eq on your board post Tonex Pedal solve things? Same with a Reverb pedal? I don’t really see using the built in reverb.

…or in the loop of a mfx?

Wouldn’t just having an eq on your board post Tonex Pedal solve things? Same with a Reverb pedal? I don’t really see using the built in reverb.

I haven't tried ToneX yet, but i played the X-Space pedal once... and the reverbs on that thing were no slouch. If ToneX has the same algorithms, i reckon most user would be quite happy with them.

Last edited:

…or in the loop of a mfx?
That’s exactly what I told JT yesterday: that half the battle is deciding what you can get away with ignoring. But it’s kind of an (unnecessarily) missed opportunity that the (surprisingly good) onboard reverb should be such a hassle to work with.

I believe that was of the 1987x which I haven't shared. Ii have been stock piling captures I hopes of a IK 3rd party store.
Can Captures not be shared in a ZIP, for example, and installed into TONEX by a customer? Or are you more concerned about IP protection?

(No challenge, just asking because I'll likely end up a customer of yours.)

Back