Tonex Pedal....It's REAL

What the world needs to know (or people that actually plan on using the pedal) is do you have any more caps up, other than the badass 900 cap? :unsure:

Have pretty much everything from TJ, SDS, and @KyleBull queued up for when mine lands tomorrow.

First order of business will be cranking that 900 out of the PS100 into a 412 :satan

And seeing if I can manage the arduous task of the alt button.
You also need Paul from the studio rodents Bad cat and Matchless IMO

What the world needs to know (or people that actually plan on using the pedal) is do you have any more caps up, other than the badass 900 cap? :unsure:

Have pretty much everything from TJ, SDS, and @KyleBull queued up for when mine lands tomorrow.

First order of business will be cranking that 900 out of the PS100 into a 412 :satan

And seeing if I can manage the arduous task of the alt button.
There's a killer Fender Princton, Dover DA50 that is really pushing the power amp and a fat a$$ Armored Sabot.

There's a killer Fender Princton, Dover DA50 that is really pushing the power amp and a fat a$$ Armored Sabot.

Lets Go Nba GIF by Storyful

I don’t know if I’m going to pull the trigger on this. On one hand, this is killer in terms of what it does. On the other, A. No effects loop, and B. Issues with York Audio IR’s? That’s a tough one, because they’re still my shiny new IR toy, after all these months.

What do you mean issues with York IRs?

D

I haven’t kept my ear to the ground on comparisons of ToneX vs the competition (I’m sure Guitar John has done 17 of them) but why are we using “good enough” as a descriptor of the tones, (profiles) based on price of the pedal?

For posterity's sake, that was me, and i didn't mean "good enough" as in sonic qualities - from what i've gathered, ToneX hangs with up there with the top dogs, and it's possibly the best sounding of the bunch.

I was addressing the "the QC does more than ToneX" crowd out there. Yeah, it does... but most people won't need ToneX to in the first place. Specially given the $1500 price tag difference (!!!) between the two units.

Last edited:
Another note, I have to lower the lows on the pedal to get closer to the sound in the desktop software.

I was addressing the "the QC does more than ToneX" crowd out there. Yeah, it does... but most people won't need ToneX to in the first place.

Ahh, good timing. This guy makes this exact point. If all you care about is profiles in your board, why even bother with the QC anymore?

ToneX even sounds closer to the real thing than the QC in these clips. Unreal.

Last edited:
I can see it getting annoying to level multiple presets by having to constantly go back and forth between menus if it cannot maintain its state in that same menu with Model Volume when you switch presets.

Here's how IK could simplify a lot of it by using a pile of Alt modes but accessed from the param menu as sets instead of individual controls. The display puts some limits on how to represent these but 1-2 letter abreviations would be fine, with maybe full names scrolling if you wait a bit.

Menu -> submenuParamMapped to front panel knob
AmpGain (duplicate of main gain control)Gain
DepthBass
PresenceTreble
Model VolumeVolume
CabResoBass
Mic 1 typeMid
Mic 2 typeTreble
Mics mixVolume
Cab -> MicsMic 1 XGain
Mic 1 ZBass
Mics mix (duplicate of Cab menu mix)Mid
Mic 2 XTreble
Mic 2 ZVolume
Noise gateThresholdGain
DepthBass
ReleaseTreble
CompressorThresholdGain
Make up gainVolume
AttackTreble
EQBass frequencyBass
Mid frequencyMid
Treble frequencyTreble
Mid QGain
ReverbPredelayGain
TimeBass
TypeMid
ColorTreble
MixVolume
Very quality of life !!! Let me know when you need a new job

I would have been all over ToneX last year when I had the HX Stomp XL hybrid rig.

ToneX is likely only going to be as good as the aftermarket captures. If an MBritt emerges with a lot of high end quality amp captures then it could be a winner.

Otherwise I don’t like like Russian roulette with profiles. No interest in sifting through a bunch of crap.

I’d be curious how big the delta would be between say HX amp models and ToneX. If the feel and tone is way better than maybe I’d change my tune…

Ahh, good timing. This guy makes this exact point. If all you care about is profiles in your board, why even bother with the QC anymore?

ToneX even sounds closer to the real thing than the QC in these clips. Unreal.

I saw this earlier and thought the exact same thing if you just want to use capture ToneX more than competes
At 1 /10 Cortex is 2499 CAD
Some guys got ToneX for 299 USD plus the fact that it comes with editor , full capture software
And Amplitube 5 , that’s an insane deal

Back