Tonex Pedal....It's REAL

I'm just saying that something like the QC is an entirely different class of product, with a target demographic of its own.

7bq9fj.jpg

The Tonex Pedal is a device to integrate into other systems whether they be analog or digital.

For the time being, I'm seeing this to be a part of each and every guitar recording setup pretty soon.
Whether it'll make it's way onto many pedalboards remains to be seen, but as a recording device for captured tones, in case you don't need SPDIF, a Tonex is the way to go.

No. Read again. I'm only complaining about how they are placed, which is very illogical.
No it *isn't* and it isn't what you said.

You said why doesn't it act like an amp control (which it isn't), and having been told that it is a level control for the entire device, and not like an amp control, you simply repeat your original assertion.

Do you own one? I do, and I say the controls are completely logical.

Does that make me right and you wrong?

No, because it is still entirely subjective, but you can't simply say it is "illogical" because it doesn't follow your expectations when it isn't even supposed to "mirror" the control you think it should.

It just means you don't like the design decision.

This does lead me to the question though - if a Helix or FM-3 could load tonex amp models, and you could do all your FX/IR/presets solely in one device, would you still buy a simple ToneX pedal?
I have an Axe-Fx 3. It has freakin' 300 amp models (about 100 unique amps and their channels/variants) and 2048 factory + 2048 user IRs, with a ML MIKKO/QC/Helix/IK VIR style movable mic cab sim system coming. Something like a capture feature is IMO really irrelevant for it because it does every freakin' tone you could ever think of already in one box.

I see people salivating at the idea of captures often have a collector mentality. "Hell yeah, I can get any amp ever made captured on this cheap pedal! For free (or small amount of money)!" These are the same folks screaming for <insert expensive/rare/genre fav/brand new/as seen on YouTube> amp being added to their favorite digital modeler, no matter if it's close to an existing one.

My interest in the ToneX pedal is largely about form factor and quick usability. It's is small enough to fit a pedalboard nicer than say a QC or FM3 and you get fast access to at least the main amp controls and that's often good enough. If a FM3, QC or even HX Stomp is more of a replacement for your pedalboard, Tonex, Strymon Iridium or UA amp sims will augment it instead.

Ok, you said "model control" but since we expect a model control to act like an amp control, I struggle to see the difference?

I was talking about the location of the model's volume control. Nothing more, nothing less. And the way the TONEX pedal is doing things is illogical. Why?
Well...

There's these (and quite some more):
Kemper-1.jpg

Boss GT-1000 – Musikhaus Thomann-1.jpg

Line6 Helix Guitar Processor – Musikhaus Thomann-2.jpg

Fm9-top.jpg (JPEG-Grafik, 1920 × 946 Pixel)-1.jpg

And then there's this:
IK Multimedia TONEX Pedal_ Pedal mit AI Machine Modelling ⋆ delamar.de-1.jpg

I was talking about the location of the model's volume control. Nothing more, nothing less. And the way the TONEX pedal is doing things is illogical. Why?
Well...

There's these (and quite some more):
View attachment 4433
View attachment 4434
View attachment 4436
View attachment 4437

And then there's this:
View attachment 4438
And I explained why the "volume" control isn't what you think it is, so what gives?

It's a level control and they document what it is and why it is?

Get over it, or don't buy one.

An an *owner* it make complete logical sense.

Now, answer the question, do you own one?

I haven’t kept my ear to the ground on comparisons of ToneX vs the competition (I’m sure Guitar John has done 17 of them) but why are we using “good enough” as a descriptor of the tones, (profiles) based on price of the pedal? Are we playing guitar or building glory pedal boards for Reddit pictures? I drool over expensive gear as much as the next man, but the price of what is essentially a capture player should have absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the quality of the tones it’s producing. (That should come down to the quality of the capture software, not the pedal that’s housing it)

What does the price have to do with this?

“It’s not ‘spensive enough for me to get any cred, it must be inferior”

GTFO

If you’re looking for glory go chain 3-4 QC’s in 7CM, and make sure to not crop out your socks with sandals at the bottom of the pic.

Some of you could find fault with a sunny day.

I don’t know if I’m going to pull the trigger on this. On one hand, this is killer in terms of what it does. On the other, A. No effects loop, and B. Issues with York Audio IR’s? That’s a tough one, because they’re still my shiny new IR toy, after all these months.

why are we using “good enough” as a descriptor of the tones
It’s just the general bar for digital. If it wasn’t good enough being inexpensive would be irrelevant. It will be at least as good as any other snapshot based modeling currently available.

No. I don't need to own one to conclude that the way every other modeler does patch volume and master volume is better.
It's exactly they way the big volume knob on the Helix and Quad Cortex works for the most part.

The fact you can't get past this is irrelevant at this point...

It's a global level control, that's it, and, In my opinion, that's *exactly what it should be*.

Don't like it, don't buy one.

Back