Tonex Pedal....It's REAL

I need to invent some time today and do some digging. I'm assuming I can install trials for Max and Amplitube 5 then license them once I get the pedal in hand?

Correct. Only shitty thing is you have to download their License Manager first. I understand why, I just hate these things.

Amplitude CS and Tonex CS are the free versions.

Answering myself here, from the manual:

Uhm, seriously? So, to balance the output level of your patches against each other, you always have to enter the ALT menu?
That's an incredibly bad design decision (and I always thought this was extremely bad on, say, the HX Stomp already, but at least you can highlight the output block on each patch when saving, making the process easier).
Errhhh - why?

You are making it sound like accessing the alt menu is some kind of chore, when it really isn't, and I absolutely *want* the main volume knob on the device to control the output level at that point in time, not the level of the individual preset.

Methinks thou dost protest too much! ;)

Correct. Only sh*tty thing is you have to download their License Manager first. I understand why, I just hate these things.

Amplitude CS and Tonex CS are the free versions.
I have the freebies. Not sure if they're installed on my current PC as I'm not in front of it but it is in my license list.

I don't have any of these, either. My delay/reverb/something pedal is an HX stomp, for the occasional weirdness I have an MS-50G and my amp modelers are an Amplifirebox and an Amp Academy. My board is stuffed so nothing that'd be larger than the to-be-replaced counterpart would fit.

It is what it is, lots of bigger boards available. Easier to get a bigger board than to hope for manufacturers to remake what they made smaller.

D

I don't have any of these, either. My delay/reverb/something pedal is an HX stomp, for the occasional weirdness I have an MS-50G and my amp modelers are an Amplifirebox and an Amp Academy. My board is stuffed so nothing that'd be larger than the to-be-replaced counterpart would fit.
Maybe the Tone X pedal just isn't for you?

As we're living in a free world (at least partially), that's quite fine. I don't agree, though.
Hmmm... I want to balance some presets on the ToneX pedal.

Step 1 - choose my base preset that I want to level the others to.
Step 2 - turn preset knob to move to next one.
Step 3 - double click the parameter button to enter the model volume and adjust to taste.
Step 4 - save preset.

Step 5 - goto step 2

It is what it is, lots of bigger boards available. Easier to get a bigger board than to hope for manufacturers to remake what they made smaller.

Sure. Fortunately, for now it's the easiest thing, to just do nothing.
Will defenitely get a Tonex at one point, but it might not find it's way onto my pedalboard.

Step 1 - choose my base preset that I want to level the others to.
Step 2 - turn preset knob to move to next one.
Step 3 - double click the parameter button to enter the model volume and adjust to taste.
Step 4 - save preset.

All fine. Still, why isn't there an option that the 5 controls would actually be model controls and you could then enter a mode with one of the knobs L/R of the display working as master outs? That'd be way more logical and in line with other devices, too.

So….

For someone like me who ignored profiling for a long time, I’m trying to wrap my head around how this works.

Are the profiles for this thing largely free? Or am I going to have to buy everything I want after I get the pedal beyond what the company made available in Max (I heard the included ones are garbage, maybe that was just the small version not the max one?)?

I don’t have many amps left since most of my gigs work best with modelers. I use Marshall sounds for most things for instance, but don’t have a plexi, Friedman, etc to profile.

And what about the cabs? I expected that was baked into the profile, but there’s a lot of discussions of the IR capabilities, so apparently they’re separate? Or can be separate? Maybe it works both ways?

D

I don’t get the complaints. (Well, I understand them, but think they are largely dismissible)

In a market filled with overpriced crap, this flies in at a super affordable price with a ton of software thrown in. The market went decades without a Kemper competitor, and now you have platform you can capture you’re entire rig via software and take around in a super affordable pedal format. Too big? Give me a fucking break. First it’s hauling amps that’s too much. Then we shove the history of guitar tones into floor modelers but that’s too big so makers offer versions with less and less footswitches to accommodate those users. (Who then add midi controllers adding size back to the equation) ToneX then offers the entire history of amps and cabs into a pedal the size of a mid sized Strymon pedal, but that’s too big. Hey boss, hit “play” on an MP3 at your next show and play air guitar, because apparently any gear is an inconvenience.

UA can’t include midi or a headphone jack on a $399 pedal of one amp, and we’re bitching about this ToneX pedal? GTFO

Controls. Based on the 30 minutes of demos I’ve watched it seems pretty straightforward for what 90% of the market will use it for. (Ya know, captures of amps, not some fully fledged everything-to everyone device) Adding reverb, comp, gates is cool and those seem relatively straightforward to use via the alt command, but I’m certainly not buying it for any of those functions. I want the history of amps in a pedal format. Box checked.

/end rant

All fine. Still, why isn't there an option that the 5 controls would actually be model controls and you could then enter a mode with one of the knobs L/R of the display working as master outs? That'd be way more logical and in line with other devices, too.

The EQ *isn't* like the EQ of the original amp.

The gain control *isn't* going to work like the gain/volume of the original amp.

And the volume control *isn't* like the master volume of the original amp.

The "controls" on the ToneX aren't like the amp controls on a modeller, which does try to mimic the behaviour of the modelled amps controls.

Are the profiles for this thing largely free? Or am I going to have to buy everything I want after I get the pedal beyond what the company made available in Max (I heard the included ones are garbage, maybe that was just the small version not the max one?)?

From what I gather, there's a whole bunch of free *and* excellent captures - and even more so once you have the MAX version of the software, coming with the pedal.
Apart from that, it'll take the way of the Kemper. There's gonna be gazillions of free captures that you'll have to sift through to find the good ones. And then there's gonna be the usual suspects providing commercial captures, likely providing a better hit-to-miss ratio.

And what about the cabs? I expected that was baked into the profile, but there’s a lot of discussions of the IR capabilities, so apparently they’re separate? Or can be separate? Maybe it works both ways?

Again, it seems to be like the Kemper. There's captures with the cab baked in and captures without. For the latter, you can either add your on IRs or IKs IR-based VIR cabs. And in addition, there seems to be an option for the software to remove the cab portion from the capture, even if it was captured completely (just like with the Kemper, which still is a miracle to me).

The EQ *isn't* like the EQ of the original amp.

The gain control *isn't* going to work like the gain/volume of the original amp.

And the volume control *isn't* like the master volume of the original amp.

The "controls" on the ToneX aren't like the amp controls on a modeller, which does try to mimic the behaviour of the modelled amps controls.

I'm aware of all that. So?

I don’t get the complaints. (Well, I understand them, but think they are largely dismissible)

In a market filled with overpriced crap, this flies in at a super affordable price with a ton of software thrown in. The market went decades without a Kemper competitor, and now you have platform you can capture you’re entire rig via software and take around in a super affordable pedal format. Too big? Give me a f*****g break. First it’s hauling amps that’s too much. Then we shove the history of guitar tones into floor modelers but that’s too big so makers offer versions with less and less footswitches to accommodate those users. (Who then add midi controllers adding size back to the equation) ToneX then offers the entire history of amps and cabs into a pedal the size of a mid sized Strymon pedal, but that’s too big. Hey boss, hit “play” on an MP3 at your next show and play air guitar, because apparently any gear is an inconvenience.

UA can’t include midi or a headphone jack on a $399 pedal of one amp, and we’re bitching about this ToneX pedal? GTFO

Controls. Based on the 30 minutes of demos I’ve watched it seems pretty straightforward for what 90% of the market will use it for. (Ya know, captures of amps, not some fully fledged everything-to everyone device) Adding reverb, comp, gates is cool and those seem relatively straightforward to use via the alt command, but I’m certainly not buying it for any of those functions. I want the history of amps in a pedal format. Box checked.

/end rant

My thoughts exactly!

Eh, it was the flagship feature of the QC: "profile amps/pedals in a small box". And it enjoyed ~3 years of being pretty much the only device being able to claim that.

We'll see how much of a splash ToneX ends up making, but the fact that you can now load multiple profiles in a box even smaller than the QC, and at 1/4 of the price, is quite significant IMHO.
hmm I guess I guess I paid more attention to other features, to me it was just another feature tacked on that offered an improved version of what the Kemper did but nothing particularly exciting (especially compared to their own ML based amps with all the controls and switches of the originals).

Probably for the best that the capture process is only available to those that are interested rather than being something that everyone uses. It’s an absolute must for me, but it seems that the vast majority are happy to use profiles that other people have made. There’s still a lot of variables with DI/reamp/converters etc that an integrated system doesn’t have but I’m glad it’s an option at least. Absolutely no use to me, but the plugin and software side is all I wanted anyway.

Back