Tonex Pedal....It's REAL

I just never buy anything new anymore. This thing is just as much about the software as it is the hardware for me.

Sexy Cbs GIF by Paramount+
LOL complete meme mastery. :D

Curiosity is killing me: What did you search for to turn this up?

It's funny, I completely missed this thread and all ToneX chatter in general. I get super focused with various obsessions and tend to ignore everything else (latest being “how good can a ss pa + cab setup sound with my FM9”).

The ToneX looks super cool. I love the look/size/features/price. I don't really have a use for it, currently, but could see an FM3 or Stomp + ToneX setup being pretty awesome, if I was all-in on digital amps and wanted a profile of my Electra Dyne instead of using amp models.

However the FM9 far better suits my current needs (4cm with real amp with band + playing around with amp models at home or as backup to band). And a FM9+ ToneX setup, while fun, is too big and inefficient.

Not sure why I bought this. I am pretty happy with my Fractal gear. But I like what I have heard so far and am pretty curious about it. As far as the lack of the effects loops, it doesn't bother me. My patches are pretty simple. Clean, dirty, heavy, and a lead sound which is the heavy sound with more volume and a bit of delay. My delivery is scheduled for Tuesday.

Downloaded the iOS version of Tonex and just sat on the couch previewing people’s captures this morning for a while. Pretty cool that you can have one of the built in guitar player samples just play a riff and compare the captures with different cabs, etc. Very convenient and a great way to spend a little free time.

@IK Multimedia it would be really nice if you could “lock” the blocks (similar to Kemper) so you can keep the same cab/IR loaded all the time between changes.

Watching Kyle Bull's video on the ToneX pedal, I feel like they could have really done the secondary parameters much better.

Now it's a shitload of "scroll, select, adjust, back, scroll, select, adjust, back" which is just a real chore compared to using the ToneX app for any of the secondary stuff.

A much smarter approach would be to remap the under display knobs based on what you are editing. For the VIR cabs for example:

On screen: "1X 1Z MIX 2X 2Z"
Translates to: "Mic 1 X, Mic 1 Z, Mic mix, Mic 2 X, Mic 2 Z"

Now you have direct 5 knob mic position and mix controls without any menuing unless you want to change e.g mic model which could then work in a similar manner. When you turn a knob it shows the value for a bit and then returns back to show what is what.

Mockup:
1676739680598.png

Last edited:
Now it's a shitload of "scroll, select, adjust, back, scroll, select, adjust, back" which is just a real chore compared to using the ToneX app for any of the secondary stuff.

Add to this the waittime to get to the ALT parameters. Fine as long as you do it once, but as soon as you need to switch between normal and ALT more frequently, there's a good potential for quite some nerve wrecking.

Add to this the waittime to get to the ALT parameters. Fine as long as you do it once, but as soon as you need to switch between normal and ALT more frequently, there's a good potential for quite some nerve wrecking.
Yeah I don't like hold functions on a lot of stuff for that reason. If it needs access anytime regularly, it becomes a bit frustrating.

I mean it's sometimes unavoidable but I think figuring out ways to get to any parameters fast is a problem on most modelers. IMO what Eventide does with a dedicated Alt button is probably the most straightforward solution on a pedal as that's really fast to toggle on/off.

Back