Tonex Pedal....It's REAL

So, now that we have you here, @IK Multimedia, care to answer two questions?

1) What's the device latency? Like input to output with, say, one model and one IR loaded?

2) What's the audio interface latency at some common samplerates and buffersizes (let's say 44.1kHz and 128/64/32 samples)?

Usually it takes a lot of time for these informations to show up somewhere, so it'd be cool if you could provide them.

Thanks in advance.

Kemper and QC.

Sad Anthony Anderson GIF
Cry Crying GIF
Tobey Maguire Reaction GIF
Sad Tears GIF
Sad Meme GIF

It's really cool to see this tech gaining traction and IK bringing both the software and hardware to market!!

I tend to be a "modeler" at heart, versus a "profiler" - so it's not for me, but it's cool nonetheless!

Not the biggest John Cordy fan, but he's getting some amazing tones out of this thing - mostly IK's captures for Joe Bonamassa's rig.

I'm particularly impressed by how the tone/drive controls interact with ToneX captures. They seem to react like, well, amp controls instead of a post-EQ like in Kemper, or the QC.

Yeah, having the ability to access high fidelity amp and cab profiles in a reasonable size stompbox at $400 is really cool. I'm stuck on work calls now but looking forward to seeing if there's things like gapless switching or long startup times or big latency, etc. If not it would be incredibly powerful.

Not the biggest John Cordy fan, but he's getting some amazing tones out of this thing - mostly IK's captures for Joe Bonamassa's rig.

I'm particularly impressed by how the tone/drive controls interact with ToneX captures. They seem to react like, well, amp controls instead of a post-EQ like in Kemper, or the QC.

Seems like there's no reverb spillover from preset to preset...

Dude is great and tells it like it is. AKA QC PaydayGate

Seems like there's no reverb spillover from preset to preset...

Patch switching seems to be quite fast (almost gapless), though, which is kind of amazing (even if it'd likely be irrelevant for my own possible use cases).

After watching the John Cordy video, one thing is absolutely clear to me: The display is every bit as horrible as I thought it was. Sure, you can get away with it, but that doesn't make it much better. And I stil stand with non-endless encoders being the UI antichrist of modeling in 2023. They've always been crutches and they don't get any better just because IKMM has a great deal on offer (and yes, of course it's a great deal).

It's a little bit of a shame there isn't an effects loop on the pedal. They have a USB interface and headphone output, but you won't be able to insert time based effects after the profiles.

Fwiw, in one german video you can see the driver dialog from Ableton Live, says 12.2ms of latency at 44.1/128. Seems plausible to me, just the usual "ok, let's slap this in, it's affordable" stereo I/O interface coming with pretty much any modeler these days. Not too great, not too shabby, either (and still better than what you get with the HX family in terms of latency).

It's a little bit of a shame there isn't an effects loop on the pedal. They have a USB interface and headphone output, but you won't be able to insert time based effects after the profiles.

Defenitely. But as with the display, the encoders, the audio interface (and maybe some more things we can't tell yet), that seems to be a concession towards the price. Decent converters cost money. Also, there'd be no more space on the top side of the housing, so there's the design thing as well, they also wouldn't be able to use the same housing (and, perhaps even more important: the same PCB) as with the other X-Gear pedals.

Defenitely. But as with the display, the encoders, the audio interface (and maybe some more things we can't tell yet), that seems to be a concession towards the price. Decent converters cost money. Also, there'd be no more space on the top side of the housing, so there's the design thing as well, they also wouldn't be able to use the same housing (and, perhaps even more important: the same PCB) as with the other X-Gear pedals.

For sure. It's similar to the Iridium and others in that way. If I were to use this pedal it would likely be MIDI controlled by an HX Stomp or HX Effects.

I kind of wish it had a screen like the Eleven Rack or Boss GT instead of the super old school screen from the 80's. It could still be charmingly antiquated but more useful.

Wouldn’t someone just do this with a pedal on the way to monitors or a plug-in using a DAW?

Back