Tonex Pedal....It's REAL

Oh wow, that display is even more last-millenium than what I thought already.

I kinda like it.

"Warm Tube Glow"
:farley

Edvin-098.jpg

Over at "The Other Plaice", someone has just said that registered ToneX owners get a $100 discount code at checkout when they order direct from IK, but I didn't get any such code here in the UK.

Well, inspite of my complaints regarding hardware design/options, considering that you really get TONEX Max (I consider AT 5 to be a nice addon but nothing too outstanding, nice move, though) with the pedal, this is an almost incredible deal for anyone interested in profiling/capturing without being bound to a computer.
Right now I've got other things to spend my money for, but this will very defenitely see my home at some point in this year, probably when my pedalboard redesign is due.

Reading through the manual.
  • 9V @ 320 mA power required.
  • Custom IRs can only be uploaded by making them part of a preset. Which is a bit weird. If you want to have many custom IRs you have to put them into presets whether you use them or not.
  • Volume knob is inexplicably not MIDI controllable but there is a separate "MODEL VOL" param that is probably good enough.
  • Stomps are baked in rather than assignable, same as the ToneX app. So if you want a "boost+amp" you need a capture that has those.
Lack of an fx loop is a bit disappointing as it would have been nice to be able to use the headphones out with post-fx. Headphones out is also mystery spec and I would not expect it to work with high impedance headphones.

I'm probably not going to pick one up at 495 euros. I don't care for the workflow of hunting down the "perfect" captures, hate the ToneX app, already own a Fractal for "a ton of options".

Instead I might be looking at people ditching their Strymon Iridiums for this and see if I can pick one up real cheap. I know I like how that pedal sounds even if it's not the most accurate modeler on the market.

320mA is pretty decent, no issue for any modern multi-PSU.

Got a link for the manual? The one from the other side's thread doesn't seem to work anymore.

I don't care for the workflow of hunting down the "perfect" captures, hate the ToneX app, already own a Fractal for "a ton of options".

Fwiw, personally, I'd just like to capture a bunch of things myself, mainly some rather obscure software amp sim creations that I'd really like to be able to use live here and there. Also some of the HX amps (I own a Stomp but it's dedicated to delay/verb duties on my board) and at least 3-4 of the Amplifirebox amps, which I still find to be almost outstanding.

Over at "The Other Plaice", someone has just said that registered ToneX owners get a $100 discount code at checkout when they order direct from IK, but I didn't get any such code here in the UK.
This is confirmed, but only for users who have ToneX Max, which I thought I did, but it turns out it was only the "standard" edition, which was €100 less than Max anyway.

Hm, doesn't seem to be possible to abuse the stereo outs so one would carry the full signal whereas the other one would be cab-less. That's how I'm often using my Amplifirebox in recording mode.
The interface portion doesn't seem to allow for separate DI recording and re-amping, either.

Custom IRs can only be uploaded by making them part of a preset. Which is a bit weird. If you want to have many custom IRs you have to put them into presets whether you use them or not.

No better than the QC, this gatekeeping cloud bullshit needs to stop.

No better than the QC, this gatekeeping cloud bullshit needs to stop.

Well, at least you can bake *your* IRs into *your* presets on *your* computer without any need to be online. But it seems to be impossible to combine different models with different IRs on the unit itself. Which IMO is quite short-sighted.

Well, at least you can bake *your* IRs into *your* presets on *your* computer without any need to be online. But it seems to be impossible to combine different models with different IRs on the unit itself. Which IMO is quite short-sighted.
The manual is a bit unclear about it as it's spread out a bit, but you can change the amp and cab models in the preset on the unit itself.

The custom IR thing is just weirdly designed where you can't separately upload them like you can in the ToneX app (which just got updated btw and is now a somewhat better design).

The manual is a bit unclear about it as it's spread out a bit, but you can change the amp and cab models in the preset on the unit itself.

Oh, ok - but to get them into the unit, they still need to be part of a "full" preset, right? At least that's what it reads like to me.

Back