Tonex Pedal....It's REAL

I own both an AFB and an AA. The AFB is most often used as a quite clean pedal platform for all things dirty while the AA is used for all clean sounds (with an option to add a bit of hair through some RC Boost clone). And while the clean patch of the AA pretty much grew on me (it's pretty compressing but at least for live that seems to be a good thing), regarding anything else in terms of sound quality, it's almost night and day. For the price, the AA is really nice, but in case you care about great playing dynamics, the AFB still is running circles around it. All strictly IMO, so checking it out is a good idea.

Thanks for that. Yeah dynamics are actually more important to me than pure tone.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but if you use the Amp toggle switch to change presets can't you still use the knobs to make tone and gain adjustments if needed?

Sure. But I just *hate* it being left in the dark regarding parameter values. And as there's no readouts anywhere, this is what you're running into when switching patches on the AFB. Another side effect is parameter jumps when turning any knob. So the good old "let's raise the trebles a bit" thing sometimes won't even work because you just don't know at which value the parameter was. And you'd probably mess it all up when just turning the knob anyway. Not much of an issue at home, but during soundcheck (let alone between songs) I simply can't afford any such maneuvers.

Sure. But I just *hate* it being left in the dark regarding parameter values. And as there's no readouts anywhere, this is what you're running into when switching patches on the AFB. Another side effect is parameter jumps when turning any knob. So the good old "let's raise the trebles a bit" thing sometimes won't even work because you just don't know at which value the parameter was. And you'd probably mess it all up when just turning the knob anyway. Not much of an issue at home, but during soundcheck (let alone between songs) I simply can't afford any such maneuvers.

Understood.

I wouldn't be using the AFB as my primary at gigs. It would largely be for casual use when traveling.

But I could use it as a backup at my Jazz gigs since I'd almost certainly be on the clean preset for the rest of the night just to finish the gig if my main rig went down. AFB into a PS-100 and 1x12 could be a decent rig.

And regarding parameters when turning knobs, that's pretty much the way it is with any stomp box. If necessary you could use small colored sticky dots to indicate favorite tone and gain settings for each of the three presets you had programmed for the night.

I do agree that I wouldn't use the AFB as my main preamp for gigs, I prefer my FM9, but as a backup and for casual use it should be fine and suits my needs better than the FM3 I had for a small and lightweight portable solution.

I wouldn't be using the AFB as my primary at gigs.

Well, I do, sort of. It's one of my two "channels" on a loopswitcher based pedalboard. But I never switch anything, even thought about scrapping the switches off the unit to save some space already. Anyway, it's a 100% WYSIWYG unit for me (and fwiw, I "scaled down" from a Helix Floor, just that it's actually no downscaling, the Helix can't even hold a candle against my board in terms of "operability").

But I could use it as a backup at my Jazz gigs since I'd almost certainly be on the clean preset for the rest of the night just to finish the gig if my main rig went down.

I have actually been using it as the only device on some jazzy gigs (but now I rather prefer just playing my nylon string on these kinda gigs), fantastic for that kinda thing, every bit as good as every amp I ever used.

And regarding parameters when turning knobs, that's pretty much the way it is with any stomp box.

Yeah, but only as long as you don't switch patches. Which is why I don't do that.
If necessary you could use small colored sticky dots to indicate favorite tone and gain settings for each of the three presets you had programmed for the night.

Won't help because due to the nature of my jobs (lots of telephone band stuff without rehearsing, under unknown conditions, etc.) I always need to be able to quickly adjust quite a bunch of relevant parameters globally (which is also a large part of the reasons I ditched the all-in-one approach).

Won't help because due to the nature of my jobs (lots of telephone band stuff without rehearsing, under unknown conditions, etc.) I always need to be able to quickly adjust quite a bunch of relevant parameters globally (which is also a large part of the reasons I ditched the all-in-one approach).

Yeah, that's a very different situation than I'm in.

I only gig with my band and we only play material that we've rehearsed (Jazz standards, some instrumental R&B covers, and my original compositions). Clearly you need more flexibility than I do.

I've done a bunch of gigs with just a Zendrive and the amp's channel switcher.

49280286072_8a831d3ebb_z.jpg

Fwiw, could it even be that the leak was made up by IK intentionally? So they could collect some opinions on what people liked about the proposed form and function?

Fwiw, could it even be that the leak was made up by IK intentionally? So they could collect some opinions on what people liked about the proposed form and function?
At that point the product is already finished so not much they can do. It's most likely a classic publishing fluke from a small vendor.

At that point the product is already finished so not much they can do.

Well, not necessarily. Let's say they're about to release it in one year from now. "Ok, let's have a look whether we could get away re-using our leftover pedal boxes or whether people won't like it!". Kinda like that.

Well, not necessarily. Let's say they're about to release it in one year from now. "Ok, let's have a look whether we could get away re-using our leftover pedal boxes or whether people won't like it!". Kinda like that.
You are correct in that, until it is released, they have the latitude to change everything, but I suspect in this case it isn't the case.

What do you mean when you say "mature hardware" ?

Well, as said earlier in this thread, it's mainly the lack of endless encoders which would be driving me mad, regardless of how well they implemented "soft takeover" or whatever they might come up with - maybe they even go for plain old brutally direct parameter jumps.

Also, the lack of any FX loop will make it tough to make proper use of the interface functionality and the headphone out.

Me personally, I don't care about FX loops, extra footswitches, lack of endless encoders, or any of the other typical gripes people have been talking about.

I want high quality captures of my amps, in a portable hardware box.

That's it.

Everything else I'll figure out.

Me personally, I don't care about FX loops, extra footswitches, lack of endless encoders, or any of the other typical gripes people have been talking about.

All fine and each to their own, but being a live player mainly, for me those things sometimes are more important than the last ounce of authentic sound.
And I think they could at least somewhat adjust their hardware to be on par with the competition.

Back