Toneking and McKnight have a guitar company now.

YouTuber pre-2012 exists
jurassic park mind blown GIF by Spotify
I only think of him as THE Tone King. That Steve from Boston guy's channel was so much more compelling when it was just a dude in his stone basement making plugins sound better than most realized they could sound hunting down sub-$300 deals on used 80's/90's Ibanez guitars from GC. I swear, you could smell the mustiness of the basement while watching. For whatever reason, the low budget, not-a-lot-of-point-to-it youtube days are where its at for me.

You're paying for the experience TexHex!!!! Limited Edition Posters are way more expensive to print than installing SS frets!!!

"The experience begins with a Thank You Card, Signed QA Hang Tags, a Backstage Pass, Limited Edition Badlands Redline Poster, a BGC Document Folder, and a Signed Certificate of Authenticity."

I'm sure they'll include a poster of Phil McKnigt recreating that David in chains picture for that full 80's hard rock experience.

I guess for them it makes a lot if sense. "I've seen so many instruments and gear, I know what's great!"
I find it even more difficult to watch their channels for unbiased gear advise, now...

This guitar is directly up against the SL3 Soloist, barring the pickup configuration. Almost the same money. Sight unseen (which is exactly how you’re buying this Badlands thing), on one hand is the badlands. Untested and unproven. Questionable graphics. Or the Jackson. It’s a freggin Soloist. In production since the 80s. Made by FMIC USA. Tried and true and earned their reputations.

Aside from a little case candy and a backstage pass to god knows what or why it’s even included, I see zero appeal to purchase this guitar. Now Phil McN doesn’t strike me as an egotistical douche. But could that really be the expected “draw” they’d feel sets this guitar apart? I really hope not.

This guitar is directly up against the SL3 Soloist, barring the pickup configuration. Almost the same money. Sight unseen (which is exactly how you’re buying this Badlands thing), on one hand is the badlands. Untested and unproven. Questionable graphics. Or the Jackson. It’s a freggin Soloist. In production since the 80s. Made by FMIC USA. Tried and true and earned their reputations.

Aside from a little case candy and a backstage pass to god knows what or why it’s even included, I see zero appeal to purchase this guitar. Now Phil McN doesn’t strike me as an egotistical douche. But could that really be the expected “draw” they’d feel sets this guitar apart? I really hope not.
It's about as no brainer as it gets really.

OK, to be fair, I watched Phil’s product video where he explains the business model and it makes some more sense to me. Not that I’m running out and buying one, but I get the appeal. First off, this guitar will be made in only UP TO 50 units. If they only get orders for 10 of them, that’s all they’ll build. Once the window is closed, thats it. They’ll never make this model again and they start the next model. Sooooo, if being the only kid on the block with a particular guitar is your thing, this may be for you. I’m somewhat that guy and is a reason I love my Knaggs stuff. Although they’ve gotten a little more popular, there still aren’t many in these parts.

Next, they seem to be built to a very high quality. I’ll give Phil this much, he’s nit picky to an aggravating degree. I’ve eye rolled his videos so many times I cant count, because of this reason. So, that WOULD translate to building as close to a perfect instrument in theory. In his video he goes over a few problems he found with the prototype. Each guitar is hand painted by one person. 3 piece quartersawn neck is different, I suppose. High polished nickel frets looked perfect. If Phil is the one doing the QC, I have to say I trust him.

Some of the case candy is goofy and in my opinion makes the guitar hard to take seriously. A backstage pass and a poster of a comic book character with the guitar? Lose that, yesterday.

They’re still up against the market forces I stated above in previous posts and I think that will be hard to overcome. The guitar seems to be a good value for what you’re getting and if you want a sort of custom shop guitar with a very limited buy in, this may be a good option. Any other guitar at this price point will be a well made but assembly line guitar. There are very few choices for customization.

Anyway, I don’t think you’d be throwing your money away but you may be wondering why you didnt just buy Brand X for the same money forever. Thats my 2 cents.

I only think of him as THE Tone King. That Steve from Boston guy's channel was so much more compelling when it was just a dude in his stone basement making plugins sound better than most realized they could sound hunting down sub-$300 deals on used 80's/90's Ibanez guitars from GC. I swear, you could smell the mustiness of the basement while watching. For whatever reason, the low budget, not-a-lot-of-point-to-it youtube days are where its at for me.

That guy's channel was fun! He could play too, which was a plus. And he did make cheap gear sound great.

Phil X on Fretted Americana was another great early YT channel.

I'll be honest, I'm pretty sure the first several times I clicked on the "Tone King" channel, his tone sucked and he couldn't play, so I wrote it off. I could be completely wrong though.

10 day return period and 10% restocking fee. That’s a tough one. You want people to plunk down 2.5k and if they dont like the guitar, not only do they have to eat the shipping but you want 250 bucks from them? 1 year warranty seems a little light, too.

That guy's channel was fun! He could play too, which was a plus. And he did make cheap gear sound great.

Phil X on Fretted Americana was another great early YT channel.

I'll be honest, I'm pretty sure the first several times I clicked on the "Tone King" channel, his tone sucked and he couldn't play, so I wrote it off. I could be completely wrong though.
Not wrong at all.

That headstock would look a whole lot better without that FUGLY red/black striped wart. Easily chopped off though.

View attachment 3832

Repeating what I've said elsewhere, but the logo is awful, in my opinion.

No need for "Guitar Company." It's obviously a guitar and the person buying it knows it's a guitar. In addition to that, the graphic of a guitar neck and headstock on top of an actual headstock seems silly. And the block-y font looks awkward and cheap.

(By "awkward," I mean it doesn't go with the sleeker lines of the headstock itself. Chunky and at odds with it.)

Back