Toneking and McKnight have a guitar company now.

The little red jut out on the headstock is pretty gross. It has the Gotoh 1996 so that's good at least?

The 3 piece maple neck is a nice touch. My '89 Hamer USA Cali's neck is built like that and the motherfucker never moves

$2499.00 !

:oops:
You're paying for the experience TexHex!!!! Limited Edition Posters are way more expensive to print than installing SS frets!!!

"The experience begins with a Thank You Card, Signed QA Hang Tags, a Backstage Pass, Limited Edition Badlands Redline Poster, a BGC Document Folder, and a Signed Certificate of Authenticity."

Why the hate / surprised faces? It's exactly what Phil always says he loves the most, 80s shred guitar.
And the site says it's all made in USA.
Hate is a strong word for folks laughing at something that doesn't appeal to them. Perhaps bullying at the most.

I laugh at it because its a guitar company created by two guys that from what I can tell have never built a guitar before, with one of the main selling/differentiating points being "collector" material - signed thank you cards and limited edition posters - form a company just created by what amount to two journalists, one of which has at least spent a lot of time working in/owning music shops.

I don't doubt there is a market for these guitars and of course everyone should have access to a guitar they're excited about, and these two guys have a right to earn a buck -- whatever you think about the quality of their youtube content, you can't deny that they've both found a market and put in a ton of work to make a living off that market.

What I doubt, however, is that these guitars will have any sort of resale value.

I'm happy for the dude in my town that drives around with a pair of faux plastic balls hanging from his enormous truck's trailer hitch -- glad he has a truck that truly expresses who he is. I still shake my head and say "wtf?" with regard to my lack of understanding of what makes every aspect of that weird little market of faux plastic balls exist, and I do kinda make fun of the guy that drives the truck a little. But that's not hate nor do I wish any ill will to the guy driving the truck, the dude that had the idea to make the faux plastic balls, or anything else in relation to it.

:unsure:
b5d95e_48713773b9a34321adf595a3effecfc4~mv2.webp
(not gonna lie, it took me quite a ways into the thread to realize we weren't talking about the amp company Tone King. Which is what confused me the most at first)

Reactions: JT
I'm happy for the dude in my town that drives around with a pair of faux plastic balls hanging from his enormous truck's trailer hitch -- glad he has a truck that truly expresses who he is. I still shake my head and say "wtf?" with regard to my lack of understanding of what makes every aspect of that weird little market of faux plastic balls exist, and I do kinda make fun of the guy that drives the truck a little. But that's not hate nor do I wish any ill will to the guy driving the truck, the dude that had the idea to make the faux plastic balls, or anything else in relation to it.

That pretty much sums up my very view on the matter.
I have no reason or whatsoever to wish these guys any bad things, but I'm still giggling at what to me is one of the unnecessarily ugliest guitar artwork I've seen in a while.

Much agreed, @Boudoir Guitar.

I think for me and the YouTuber brands, while it’s a bit silly, I associate the YouTuber’s playing with their guitars; IE- Ola and I play similarly and go for the same kinds of tones and I know Ola’s guitar history, it was a safe bet that I’d dig Solar’s due to knowing what Ola came from and him designing them from a player perspective. I was on the money with that one, I love that guitar and it’s perfectly suited for playing chugging metal riffs.

It’s hard for me to phrase this without sounding like a total dick, but screw it, I’ve always found Chapman’s playing to be lifeless. I know he’s a capable player, but I’ve never heard anything he did, whether it was his band or just noodling in a demo video that made me go “Damn, that dude rips” and my limited experience with Chapman guitars was similar, there was nothing about those guitars that made me think “This is f*cking killer!”, it was more along the lines of “This isn’t bad for the money, I guess” and never thought about them again.

I haven’t seen much of McKnight or ToneKing’s vids, but I don’t think of killer guitar players when I see their names. I’m not sure I’ve ever even seen Phil play guitar before? And ToneKing, I know I’ve heard him play but can’t remember anything about it. There’s nothing from either of those guys that make me think “Damn, I really want to try one of those! That guy is really into _____ and I’m curious how he designed a guitar based around that…”

From my POV, it’s just another super strat in a sea of super strats, but with a sh*tty paint job that reminds me of why I’m glad the 80’s are over. There’s nothing from either of those guys that I feel is going to make the guitar better or worse than any other one out there. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't see the point in this company. What are they providing that isn't already in the market?

What's the appeal of a high end guitar from a company owned by YouTubers?

I could MAYBE see if this was a quality import guitar priced at/under $1000 without a HSC. It's a funky design.

But $2500 for a guitar from a company with no pedigree? No thanks.

Back