To Marshall or not to Marshall…

Pattrahan13

So I have a problem’ I’m really into the marshall tone type (slp chirpin preamp and power section saturation)… but I also like the different flavors of that marshall gain. I also like the versatility of midi selectable tone options… so basically clean, edge of breakup, acdc to 80’s modded marshall tones

I have many amps so am not looking into getting that single amp to do mesa or modern tones. I was thinking revv generator 120 mkiii, headfirst alta 100 mkii, i already have a marshall jvm410h…

Where should I go? i mostly play at home for fun but am a tone junky

Thanks!!!!!

Last edited:
Doesn't your JVM already do all that? What cab are you using with it?
It does to a certain extend but doesnt have the sag of a plexy quite right or the fatness of a jcm800. Not using the fxloops helps a lot.

I play in a x pattern 4x12 creamback and v30

Michael’s latest clip delivers a very good representation of the tonal range of Alta rev2.

Yeah, that was what i was thinking… wonder how it compares the the revv gen 120 mkiii green channel.

The alta really seems to be the thing!!

It does to a certain extend but doesnt have the sag of a plexy quite right or the fatness of a jcm800. Not using the fxloops helps a lot.

I play in a x pattern 4x12 creamback and v30
I'd try it with a cab that uses Greenbacks.

IMO there's nothing pointing to the Revv Gen 120 being able to do those things either, where IMO the Green channel always sounds just plain mediocre.

So I have a problem’ I’m really into the marshall tone type (slp chirpin preamp and power section saturation)… but I also like the different flavors of that marshall gain. I also like the versatility of midi selectable tone options… so basically clean, edge of breakup, acdc to 80’s modded marshall tones

I have many amps so am not looking into getting that single amp to do mesa or modern tones. I was thinking revv generator 120 mkiii, headfirst alta 100 mkii, i already have a marshall jvm410h…

Where should I go? i mostly play at home for fun but am a tone junky

Thanks!!!!!
To Marshall.

Get a Marshall all tube JMP-1 preamp. Out of production now but I seen them pop up used all the time at decent prices. Pair it with a tube or SS power amp and your off to the races. Or use the speaker emulation to go direct to PA, although I never used it before yet, so can't say how good that sounds.

It gots midi although I never use it. Gots 2 clean channels and 2 OD channels. Has a big variety of sounds from early JTM Bluesbreaker all the way to high gain JCM-900. 25 factory presets and room for 100 patches total, so you can customize the presets or create your own.

20220728_225651.jpg
20240602_164939.jpg

Last edited:
The JVM does all of those things way better than the JMP-1 IMO.
Yeah but it don't got no midi selectable tone options like the JMP-1 does and which the OP said he wanted.

I played through JVMs a coupla times and they had great high gain sounds. However the lower gain JTM/Bluesbreaker type sounds and Plexi type sounds were not as good on the JVMs that I played through than they were on a JMP-1.

Last edited:
If you get something like a Voodoo Labs Control Switcher, then you open up a whole world of amps that don't have midi.

I'm not really a Marshall expert, but I do have a Satriani JVM, and it is straight up one of the best amps ever IMO. There are some differences when compared to the original that might be worth looking at modifying on your JVM? Maybe adding a choke would help? I don't know, but I know that is one of the differences.

When I think Marshall, I think bright and cutting, with a slight bit of fizz (but the pleasurable kind!) and the whole "wall of sound" thing which some amps really struggle to do. I think broadband shotgun blasts of white noise, filtered through a speaker.

So along those lines.... you could look at a Fryette Sig:X. The Orange channel set to Burn mode, or the Red channel set to Brit mode.... really gets you into that territory. Particularly when you introduce the additional gain stage via the boost circuit.

I really like the look and sound of the Revv 100P and 100R, and I've considered those myself. I don't think they're particularly Marshall-esque though. Probably more Recto/5150. Saying that, the 6505+ I just got, the green crunch mode can really do a good impression of a cranked Marshall as well.

Yes of course.
I picture myself coming in through the front door,
You: “Hey Jaybird, what’s happenin’??”
Me: “I got nothin’ to say to you, this is between me & that guitar & amp”…
“Now excuse me while I fire in the hole it man”..
🤘.

Back