NAD: Marshall Origin 50

I've been waiting on your review on this one when I read in another post that this one was on its way! I know you mentioned AC/DC & JP tones, but what is your opinion on Led Zep, The Cult and maybe Janes Addiction sounds?

I believe Billy Duffy uses Friedman's now but use to use older Marshall's back in the day for the crunch and Dave Navarro used Marshall JCM900's too. Can this cover a lot of ground? I have a Stomp XL to use as well.

Thanks!!
Byrdman

I think it's a pretty great ( talking tone-wise) 2203/1987x type hybrid so yeah I know with help it can cover all that stuff. By itself the dist/gain will not get past early AC/DC type stuff at manageable levels. Fully cranked it can get more but it's not very tight after that. To me though thats plenty of gain for rhythm work.

It's better than OK I think. The OD is a typical TS circuit with a decent bass boost and the Distortion is good if kept below noon. After that it's like a hybrid dist/fuzz. It's far from a do it all though as far as gain goes. I think mine is a V2. My personal overall opinion is it takes up too much real estate for what you get.
Yeah if it isn't good on both sides to work together with the amp; I can see not putting it on a board. Poop.

I think it's a pretty great ( talking tone-wise) 2203/1987x type hybrid so yeah I know with help it can cover all that stuff. By itself the dist/gain will not get past early AC/DC type stuff at manageable levels. Fully cranked it can get more but it's not very tight after that. To me though thats plenty of gain for rhythm work.
Thanks for the info, that helps a lot!! I saw on YT a few videos of guys already modding these, but I have not had time to watch them yet.

my monomyth modded origin hangs with any of my amps, send it to him and id guess for around $1000 total youll have a killer amp
But doesn’t that mod turn the amp into a boosted one trick show?
I’ll save the wishful thinking for what comes outta my fingas’..
I could mod & make a human.
I told one of them pot’tender
dregs of the somewhere’s
along the interstate in Michigan,
at one those chemical-crusted block dispensaries:

“Motha’fucka’…I could grow YOU.
I was an OG at the Amsterdam
Cannibas Cup before your Mom got porked & you plopped’ out..ya hear??”..
💯.

it does the boosted thing but its definitely not a one trick pony.. theres three different modes, a couple push/pull knobs that do something, i had a loop added.. i didnt play the amp stock to compare but if youre looking for the boosted marshall thing id look into sending it to him

Yes, well at least some people report that the nice cleans have disappeared after the JCM800 headfirst MOD. It's also very involved and time consuming so for me I'd rather stick a great pedal in the chain and still have the clean on tap.

it does the boosted thing but its definitely not a one trick pony.. theres three different modes, a couple push/pull knobs that do something, i had a loop added.. i didnt play the amp stock to compare but if youre looking for the boosted marshall thing id look into sending it to him

From what I am reading I'd trust that Monomyth mod before I would the headfirst mod. Unfortunately Monomyth is not offering mods at this time.

1696346564697.png

Back