NAD: Marshall Origin 50

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
Reverb score for 400 bucks. Seller said he never played through it and I believe him. Thing came exactly as new and even still smells brand new. Have only had it a couple hours and it showed up while a band rehearsal was winding down, so had to wait a bit to jump on it. I did own one a few years ago BUT didn't really give it a chance. At the time I preferred my DSL20HR so I sold it after only having it a couple weeks. If my memory serves me right, I spent maybe 3 hours on that one total.

My 2nd go round I am definitely going to run some pedals into it but people make it out that this thing doesn't break up at all and I disagree. With the gain knob cranked and pulled out and all other knobs at noon it was early AC/DC heaven with my 490 loaded SG. Kiss licks also sounded great but just in general a tremendous Marshall bark to it and it's nice how it cleans up so well with just guitar knob adjustments even with the gain knob cranked. Running it into a Jet City horizontal 2x12 of English V30's.

Like most Marshalls it only got better as I turned it up louder. It's a must. Cranking the master and using the gain knob for overall volume just blew my mind but I cant see using that live ever, even with the power scaling because the power scaling sucked the tone in that configuration. I have seen folks compare these to 1987x and other Plexis and I can hear some of that character in there but if you are expecting this thing to sound just like a Plexi you wont be happy. It certainly sounds like a Marshall though. I'd say closer to a 2203 with it's gain knob below noon would be a better comparison (tone-wise) if you must compare it to another Marshall. I can only speak to Marshalls I have owned or played extensively. This amps feels really good too. Notes jump out of it with spank and authority. The bass knob brings flub but turning it down doesn't really take away from the punch if you compensate with volume and the tilt knob.

I'd say I'm pretty happy and can't wait to start throwing some of my OD's at it to see which one makes it the happiest. Most likely try my Sparkle Drive first but I have a bunch more so that will be for tomorrow as I have date night with wifey in a couple hours here.

Holy shit, I feel like I just said holy shit earlier this week to another Bob purchase thread.

Anxious to hear your thoughts on this as ya have it more, I’ve really been considering just grabbing one of these to cure an itch while I think about/save for something a bit more expensive. I’m mostly wanting it as an edge of breakup/pedal platform, but was definitely hoping for more Plexi than 2203….though 2203 ain’t bad either.

Holy shit, I feel like I just said holy shit earlier this week to another Bob purchase thread.

Anxious to hear your thoughts on this as ya have it more, I’ve really been considering just grabbing one of these to cure an itch while I think about/save for something a bit more expensive. I’m mostly wanting it as an edge of breakup/pedal platform, but was definitely hoping for more Plexi than 2203….though 2203 ain’t bad either.

PRS HDRX 20. Check them out.

Today is OD pedal day. First up is the "Freedman" BE ODX.

After about 20 minutes at band level I settled at just about everything at noon on the pedal except volume and tight knob. Tight knob cranked and volume around 11 o'clock.

Amp was all dials at noon except gain and presence. Gain at 1 o'clock and presence at 11 o'clock.

Result: Creamy and tight Marshall high gain goodness a la Judas Priest Painkiller.

Next up: SD1. No surprises here. Sounded and felt best with gain all the way down, tone at noon and level cranked. This really brought out the 2203 in the amp even more than the Freedman did. Barks like a pissed off Rottweiler and makes me smile. Not a ton of distortion per se but good mid honk gains reminiscent of maybe early UFO.

Ear break and then time for the Bad Monkey

This is what I plan to try and get through today. maybe end up taking the weekend methinks...

383015607_6557171461045577_1792450340890638520_n.jpg

Last edited:
Well. Gotta suspend it for now. I volunteer for the County Emergency Management Dept and I just got asked to replace a no show for a festival going on to hand out flyers and such.

Too many to break down individually. So far for rhythm work I prefer the Bad Monkey. It seems to be the least "pedal sounding" out of the ones I have tried and really integrates beautifully with this tone stack. I want to try stacking a couple of them once I fully settle on my rhythm pedal then most likely have my SD Pickup Booster at the end of the fx loop for soloing and clean boosts.

This is damn fun.

I've been waiting on your review on this one when I read in another post that this one was on its way! I know you mentioned AC/DC & JP tones, but what is your opinion on Led Zep, The Cult and maybe Janes Addiction sounds?

I believe Billy Duffy uses Friedman's now but use to use older Marshall's back in the day for the crunch and Dave Navarro used Marshall JCM900's too. Can this cover a lot of ground? I have a Stomp XL to use as well.

Thanks!!
Byrdman

Today is OD pedal day. First up is the "Freedman" BE ODX.

After about 20 minutes at band level I settled at just about everything at noon on the pedal except volume and tight knob. Tight knob cranked and volume around 11 o'clock.

Amp was all dials at noon except gain and presence. Gain at 1 o'clock and presence at 11 o'clock.

Result: Creamy and tight Marshall high gain goodness a la Judas Priest Painkiller.

Next up: SD1. No surprises here. Sounded and felt best with gain all the way down, tone at noon and level cranked. This really brought out the 2203 in the amp even more than the Freedman did. Barks like a pissed off Rottweiler and makes me smile. Not a ton of distortion per se but good mid honk gains reminiscent of maybe early UFO.

Ear break and then time for the Bad Monkey

This is what I plan to try and get through today. maybe end up taking the weekend methinks...

View attachment 11398
How is the Jekyll & Hyde? I have a thing for useful double OD pedals and the Visual Sound stuff always intrigued me for whatever reason.

How is the Jekyll & Hyde? I have a thing for useful double OD pedals and the Visual Sound stuff always intrigued me for whatever reason.

It's better than OK I think. The OD is a typical TS circuit with a decent bass boost and the Distortion is good if kept below noon. After that it's like a hybrid dist/fuzz. It's far from a do it all though as far as gain goes. I think mine is a V2. My personal overall opinion is it takes up too much real estate for what you get.

Back