This might be the end of digital for me

Why choose between a great analog amp and all the great things that a current computer will facilitate? The hype is a lot of pressure, but if we’re being real you don’t need to update computers too frequently and probably shouldn’t. But the changes between 2012 and now, that’s pretty major and you’ll feel it and love it.

Do you not plan on doing any recording?

Is there nothing else you'd use a cheap laptop for?

Honestly no… I use an iPad for recording now and it’s everything I need for that. I use an iPhone and iPads for everything I need. I still use my work laptop for some thing where I need a laptop, I just can’t install any software on it now and can’t connect any external devices

Honestly no… I use an iPad for recording now and it’s everything I need for that. I use an iPhone and iPads for everything I need. I still use my work laptop for some thing where I need a laptop, I just can’t install any software on it now and can’t connect any external devices
I wouldn't write off digital for this sole purpose but maybe it'll give you a forced break from it for a little bit!

Buy a cheap Intel Macbook or Mini and use OpenCore Patcher to install a current version of Mac OS X. I'm running my DAW and Rig Manager under Mojave on a Mac Pro 3,1 (2008). Maybe a bit slow to start, but everything works just fine. Circa-2015/16 Macbook Pros are quite inexpensive.

gain, love and ask for MacBook Pros for work for well over a decade, personally, but I don't miss it even a moment when I'm making music on my Win laptop.
I definitely disagree. I’ve got an HPE EliteBook here running Windows 11, and I definitely miss my Mac for making music. So I just wait until I’m home.

I definitely disagree. I’ve got an HPE EliteBook here running Windows 11, and I definitely miss my Mac for making music. So I just wait until I’m home.

What is there to miss? I open up Ableton in both then do everything in the DAW. Plugins look the same on both. I guess audio drivers are a bit more seamless on Mac, but ASIO is not a problem for me on Windows.

What is there to miss? I open up Ableton in both then do everything in the DAW. Plugins look the same on both. I guess audio drivers are a bit more seamless on Mac, but ASIO is not a problem for me on Windows.
Logic Pro X. Final Cut Pro. MainStage.

Those are definitely.....some programs. Not ones I'd use, but cool.
:roflYou say it like someone farted on your caviar. They’re only some of the most popular apps out there, no biggie.

Anyway, the dude says he records on his iPad, so it’s a moot point anyway.

:roflYou say it like someone farted on your caviar. They’re only some of the most popular apps out there, no biggie.

Anyway, the dude says he records on his iPad, so it’s a moot point anyway.

This is becoming weirdly tribal when, again, I'm absolutely a fan of both platforms. But there are tons of "most popular" music apps out there. Glad you like the Apple-only ones, but I prefer the flexibility of a cross-platform like Ableton. Don't get the mention of Final Cut Pro in this discussion at all, tho...

This is becoming weirdly tribal when, again, I'm absolutely a fan of both platforms. But there are tons of "most popular" music apps out there. Glad you like the Apple-only ones, but I prefer the flexibility of a cross-platform like Ableton. Don't get the mention of Final Cut Pro in this discussion at all, tho...
There’s nothing tribal about this, dude. You asked what there is to miss. I said what I’d miss. What’s so difficult to understand about that?
Don’t get the mention of FCP? I’d miss it.

Back