This might be the end of digital for me

Not a Mac user, but looks like the Tone Master Pro software works on Windows 10 and 11, so does it make sense to use UTM or even grab a lifetime Parallels license and just run Win 10 on that for those editors? Or will you run into USB driver issues or something? Looks like the current version of Parallels at least supports back to macOS Mojave.

EDIT: ah looks like you don't have a computer you can install personal software on at all anymore, never mind!

8271b910e56db46f061761b6f30208c043958f614c3a52840703e434811bda8b.jpg

Yup. Met has clearly been freeloading on the backs of employers long enough. :LOL:

Yeah, it's the nature of tech advances that software is built for the last 5-ish years of hardware. Too much of a burden to do it any other way. Although, Windows based software has it a bit easier, depending on what platform they use to develop upon. This is one of the big reasons why I don't Mac, they are really bad at making their hardware obsolete - and of course getting you to buy new.

I'm currently on a 10 year old former company provided pc that replaced my last home built pc, which had died. I'm in dire need of a new PC, and may actually buy one already built for the first time in 30 years. Windows based hardware, as shown above, can be had on the cheap! Of course, if you despise Windows/PC then it's a whole 'nother story.

@metropolis_4

Just found you four different sub $500 Windows laptops that will more than get the job done that are marked down for BF:

the first few years i had the helix i didn't have a computer. when an update came out i would give my buddy a big joint and he would update it for me hahaha. even now that we have a laptop i only use for the updates, i don't need a computer just to dial it it in.

@metropolis_4 The entry level MacBook Air is affordable and plenty powerful enough for your needs.

I'm a Mac fan (even though I only own Windows machines personally. I've used Macs for work most of the last 15 years), but $1100 (which is what the current entry-level 13-inch Macbook Air goes for) is overkill for this scenario.

I'm a Mac fan (even though I only own Windows machines personally. I've used Macs for work most of the last 15 years), but $1100 (which is what the current entry-level 13-inch Macbook Air goes for) is overkill for this scenario.

The entry level is currently $999 USD.

Literally double or more than what a Win laptop that would fit his needs would go for.

I'm only responding to the price you quoted which was incorrect. I'm not suggesting that there aren't much more affordable Windows laptops available or that they wouldn't be useful for his needs.

Having said that, our friend @metropolis_4 is used to using macOS, so I was attempting to address that likely preference.

Last edited:
I'm only responding to the price you quoted which was incorrect.

Also, our friend @metropolis_4 is used to using macOS.

When I said "current entry-level", the "current" referred to the M2 chip MacBook Air. The outgoing M1 is indeed a whopping $100 cheaper.

As for Mac familiarity, I don't think it'll be much of an obstacle. Sounds like the guy is just installing the editor/librarian of a platform and maybe storing some IRs.

Back