This might be the end of digital for me

Everyone needs are for sure relative but if I were in your shoes I’d be buying a computer if your employer won’t let you use theirs to load your own personal software for. As much as that sucks is get why they are stopping that.

Kind of funny. I've been on the 'net since before one could reasonably assume any given person they spoke to had a 'personal' computer (i.e. back before the 'proper' internet of today, people were stealing time on their school or work's mainframe via a terminal), then after the www and forums, etc, it quickly turned into the assumption that if someone was on the 'net they obviously had a computer.
Looks like, with the mobile revolution, we are full circle. Technology is so :banana

I guess there will be a point soon, where you will have to support FW upgrades, editing, etc, via Android/iOS or die.

I only bought a MacBook in the past year, haven’t had my own laptop or PC for over 10-15 years. I use mostly my iPad or phone, still do.

I used to borrow my wife’s Mac to do L6/Fractal updates.

I think now days having a computer is just the price of doing business......the only question being can you
afford it. If you can, get one and move on...if not, better stick with amps.

I wonder... do any of the various guitar gear pieces that update via USB and also have an iOS or Android app have the capability to perform that update from one of those apps? It seems like even stuff that doesn't have a true Win / Mac editor (like the UA stuff) wants you to update via a dedicated Win / Mac updater. I wonder if there is some technical barrier? Though I'm pretty sure some synths can be updated this way (the Modal synths, for example iirc, and I think the Behringer synths as well).

OS preference or not it does not make sense to spend over $400 on something you just want to use to load IRs and run updates/editor software.

Yeah, but then he doesn't need to run a poo-flavored OS.

Again, love and ask for MacBook Pros for work for well over a decade, personally, but I don't miss it even a moment when I'm making music on my Win laptop.

Honestly, the bigger advantages of Mac at this point are in the hardware, which consistently outclass Windows machines, even the highest tier ones.

Don't type, swype.
Bitch Slap GIF

Again, love and ask for MacBook Pros for work for well over a decade, personally, but I don't miss it even a moment when I'm making music on my Win laptop.

Honestly, the bigger advantages of Mac at this point are in the hardware, which consistently outclass Windows machines, even the highest tier ones.
And as long as you have all the top end subscriptions for your software you’ll probably not have to wait for a patch every time the OS farts.

Couldn’t read all of this but Metro has never been cheap about gear and an expensive MacBook that you won’t regret getting because it’s basically the best at what you’re trying to do and compatible with everyone else you’re working with would be a great investment. Macs are too expensive but badass. (and yes my girlfriend ended up with a Dell loaner recently and even though it was ugly that thing was speedy and the keyboard felt fantastic – no hate here.) Can’t say how Id feel if I didn’t earn money using my Mac desktop in three different creative mediums, but I still think from a purely musical perspective it’s a great thing to own, for a long list of reasons and possibilities you can imagine on your own and probably have already. (And even using analog for lots of stuff, ultimately everything we do ends up digital so there’s that.)

I think this is a practical outlook on it-

Modeler- lots of convenience for a long duration of time, small inconvenience of needing a computer to make it a hassle-free experience

Computer- One-time inconvenience, lots of convenience for a long duration of time

To be clear, I’m not upset about this. I knew this day would come, it was only a matter of time. TBH I’m surprised it didn’t happen sooner!

Now I just need to decide if it’s something worth investing in.

Part of me is thinking it might be nice to have a computer capable of running a DAW again…

The other part of me is thinking my Mark VII doesn’t care if I even own a computer…

To be clear, I’m not upset about this. I knew this day would come, it was only a matter of time. TBH I’m surprised it didn’t happen sooner!

Now I just need to decide if it’s something worth investing in.

Part of me is thinking it might be nice to have a computer capable of running a DAW again…

The other part of me is thinking my Mark VII doesn’t care if I even own a computer…
Do you not plan on doing any recording?

Is there nothing else you'd use a cheap laptop for?

I'd probably do that over something like this. I'm so used to being in full control of my computer and being able to pick the tools I want to use.

In one project I had a client laptop (mainly to access their local network services) which was locked down, preventing any internet downloads. So I figured out that I could instead put software on a USB stick and install it normally (so much for security!), allowing me to have some of the software that I needed to do the job I was hired for. Company policies built around "everyone is a near computer-illiterate user who needs nothing but MS Office" does not work when you are supposed to build multimillion euro software projects.

Yeah, they’ve really started going Big Brother on us the past couple years. It’s super locked down now and I’m pretty sure they track when I install anything.

Probably time for a new job that isn’t so crazy about this

Back