NMD: Line 6 Helix Floor

TubeStack

Shredder
I bought a new Helix Floor yesterday and am having a great time with it!

As mentioned in my previous QC NMD thread, this was an unexpected turn of events brought on by adding an HX One to my QC... which sparked a trajectory that pulled me hard and fast (yes, you heard that right) towards the full Helix Floor, the biggest, thickest and phattest L6 mama of them all. :pickle:rawk :pickle

Could this be the long term digital love I've been looking for? :love :love :love

IMG_5368.jpeg

IMG_5378.jpeg

Last edited:
WELL, IS IT?

Ha, well it definitely has long term relationship potential. :)

To be honest, I'm getting tired of buying>trying>selling digital effects/amp modelers and am ready to "settle down." It's been fun, and I've learned a lot, but I'm reaching an endpoint, it seems?

I guess I've been trying to find the Electra Dyne equivalent, for me. Something you love and play and get tons of use out of, for years. (It's going on eight years now, with the Dyne, and almost ten with that R9 in the pic, too.)

Last edited:
Congratulations! :beer

I recently bought a floor Helix almost by accident, and i've been having a blast with the thing since. The hype is real.

Thanks!

Yes, I'm seeing there's a reason it's been such a juggernaut for 8-9 years now and still sells well. As @Baba said in another thread, it's incredible in the world of tech and gear, really, the run it has had and keeps having. Getting up there with the Kemper.

Congrats! There's so much good in the Helix world, I don't think you'll be disappointed at all. (y)

Thanks! Yes, I've been a fan of the effects for a long time, have had the HXFX and still have the Stomp. Also been getting great sounds out of the amp models lately, using a Matrix power amp and Recto 2x12.

I've always loved everything HX but I've never had the phat Queen Bee of the lineup (well, briefly during Covid). It really is a pleasure to work on and play through! A modern classic. :chef

Woot Congrats , I'm sure your gonna love it :chef

:beer

Thanks, @Stone! I know you know it well! :beer

Congrats!

Thanks, man! And thank you for bearing with me throughout all these digital excursions, also appreciate your tips and advice. \m/

I know you've had the Helix Rack. I assume you tried the Floor, at some point (prior to your current FAS-Wh*re status :rofl).

Shocked GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

:pickle

That Gibson is :guiness

Thanks! Yes, it's been my #1 guitar for almost a decade now, crazy. 2011 R9 with Bare Knuckle Black Dogs. :love

Last edited:
That's a life guitar imo. Beautiful and great choice of pickups

For sure. I traded in two guitars and sold an amp towards getting it, and it's been well worth it. I've played and loved that guitar so much, I could give it away tomorrow and I'd have gotten my money's worth (though I will certainly not do that, haha). I was lucky that the BKs were already in it, love them so much I just put them in my 594, too. Would probably never have known about or tried them, otherwise.

For sure. I traded in two guitars and sold an amp towards getting it, and it's been well worth it. I've played and loved that guitar so much, I could give it away tomorrow and I'd have gotten my money's worth (though I will certainly not do that, haha). I was lucky that the BKs were already in it, love them so much I just put them in my 594, too. Would probably never have known about or tried them, otherwise.
BKP makes some excellent pickups, albeit quite expensive and you could argue "are they better than SD? Etc"

But I have the misha Jackson so cal that has I think a rag bridge and some sort of single coil BKP, it's wonderful. I also have a BKP aftermath in one guitar and nailbomb in the other.

Great customer service as well!

A few notes about the Helix, so far:

- after years of working on the HXFX or Stomp (plus all the others I've tried), the Floor is an absolute JOY to work on, so much fun and so easy/fluid to be creative with; I can see why the UI is often considered the gold standard (in my opinion it's actually still better than the QC)

- I've stopped wondering "are HX effects as good as real pedals and/or Fractal?"; for some reason getting the HX One really hammered this home: I can easily use only Helix effects and be happy with all my sounds; the drives are insanely good, delays are my favourite among all the companies, the modulations are great, etc.; the whole pedals-with-character/giant virtual pedalboard/stompbox thing works well for me, as opposed to the more rack-unit-like approach of others

- it is very nice to have soooo many switches, much less preset changing during a gig, lots of options available at any given time on each preset

- even though the Helix seems large, it's actually only 4" wider than my PT Jr board (and 0.5" less deep, even), when used on its own

- it is a HEAVY mother though, holy cow; it would give the FM9 a run for its money in my long-planned YT series, "Watch As The FM9 Smashes Other Modelers To Bits"; I think the Helix could even be a sister series where it's the star smasher :grin

- it sounds and feels great in 4cm! This is HUGE for me. I don't know why, but the HXFX and Stomp always had this disconnected, blanket on the speakers thing happening, whereas the Helix is great, I'd even say it's on par with the FM9 in this area

- it does still have a huge ground loop hum when I try and use the amp switching feature; the HXFX did this, too; I got around it by snipping the ground on the HXFX-end of the trs cable, however I don't feel like bothering with that and am going to try using an HX clean preamp, instead

- it also has a large hum in general when used in 4cm in my basement, as did the FM9, however the Morley Hum Exterminator I got for the FM9 also works to stop it, thankfully (the FM9 didn't do it elsewhere though, so it's probably something funky in my house wiring)

- I'm getting a pretty good facsimile of my Electra Dyne with the Mark IV Lead model, increasing the sag and raising the bias

- it sounds and feels great in 4cm! This is HUGE for me. I don't know why, but the HXFX and Stomp always had this disconnected, blanket on the speakers thing happening, whereas the Helix is great, I'd even say it's on par with the FM9 in this area
This is what surprises me. I had the LT, and agree in all those things you say. Great platform, fantastic do-it-all machine.

BUT, that blanket-feeling was there for sure. Barely noticeable unless you A/B compared it to analog pedals (or a Zoom G1X Four, as I did). Then that "disconnected" feeling was too obvious for me.

So you say it´s different to HX and Stomp... that´s great. For me, it would solve the most important issue of Helix family. Well, as a personal taste, I also want profiling to be a perfect machine, but let´s not enter that debate... :p

Beautiful gear in that pic, mate.

- even though the Helix seems large, it's actually only 4" wider than my PT Jr board (and 0.5" less deep, even), when used on its own

- it is a HEAVY mother though, holy cow; it would give the FM9 a run for its money in my long-planned YT series, "Watch As The FM9 Smashes Other Modelers To Bits"; I think the Helix could even be a sister series where it's the star smasher :grin

100% my experience as well. Got my Helix floor and immediately went "huh, this is not as big as i remembered..." immediately followed by "holy shit is this thing heavy".

Sturdy AF, though. It could probably survive a nuclear blast.

Last edited:
If you've got the amps, try 7CM and run wet/dry or stereo fx! It worked surprisingly well when I had the Helix Floor.

I'm still annoyed that Line6 never released the goldilocks device in between the HX Stomp and full Helix. Helix LT should've been Helix Mini with half the switches and no expression pedal.

Back