The Food Thread

The Boar’s Head London Broil roast was on sale this week so I grabbed some. I haven’t been eating red meat for a while, but when I saw it I wanted it immediately. French Dips are probably my favorite sandwhich of all time, but I use French Onion soup instead of auj jus for the dip, because I also love onions. A lot.

Lots of butter, low and slow.
IMG_6676.jpeg

Just let them chill, almost like a soft boil in the butter.
IMG_6677.jpeg

I dipped all the beef in the onion soup really fast before dropping it on the bread (w/ horseradish/mayo)
IMG_6679.jpeg

Slap some swiss on, melt it in the oven and Bob’s your uncle.
IMG_6680.jpeg

The Boar’s Head London Broil roast was on sale this week so I grabbed some. I haven’t been eating red meat for a while, but when I saw it I wanted it immediately. French Dips are probably my favorite sandwhich of all time, but I use French Onion soup instead of auj jus for the dip, because I also love onions. A lot.

Lots of butter, low and slow.
View attachment 25307

Just let them chill, almost like a soft boil in the butter.
View attachment 25308

I dipped all the beef in the onion soup really fast before dropping it on the bread (w/ horseradish/mayo)
View attachment 25309

Slap some swiss on, melt it in the oven and Bob’s your uncle.
View attachment 25310

Now that's a sandwich!!!

My wife's mum and dad are coming to stay with us for three weeks from Southern California. I'll get extra hands and eyes to look after my kid while he's on his summer holidays and awesome Mexican food made for me the whole time they're here. Three weeks with no cooking to do woo hoo.

I'm gonna be eating burritos, tacos, Quesadillas, empanadas, chimmy chungas, enchilada casserole and as many home made tortillas chips as I can fit. God damn it's gonna be a good time.

1000056258.gif

I'm gonna be eating burritos, tacos, Quesadillas, empanadas, chimmy chungas, enchilada casserole and as many home made tortillas chips as I can fit.

Dude, stop it already, will you?
One of the things I liked the most when being in California was the permanent supply of excellent mexican food. Something to die for. And something you really can't get here, at least not even remotely of the same quality (or horrendously expensive for what should be rather affordable ingredients).

Dude, stop it already, will you?
One of the things I liked the most when being in California was the permanent supply of excellent mexican food. Something to die for. And something you really can't get here, at least not even remotely of the same quality (or horrendously expensive for what should be rather affordable ingredients).

We're in the same boat most of the time. We can get things that let us cook most stuff well enough to satisfy the craving but it's not the same as the real deal.

Her mum's bringing an extra suitcase with a load of long life stuff from back home to keep us going for a while.

I've only done the Buttermilk Brine with Chicken one time. I am no Southerner!! :LOL:

I had it on the Grill for over 2 hours on indirect heat. About 400F. Turned out
amazing. Just a dry rub I let sit for a couple of hours. Totally doing this again.
This Jerk thing is making me hungry for a nice spliff now. :clint

Love the Pill Crusher. I mean, Mortar & Pestle. :beer

What's in it apart from spinach, artichokes and jalapeños?
10oz package frozen spinach (thawed, dried, and chopped)
(2) 14oz cans artichoke hearts (drained & chopped)
(1) 4oz can diced jalapeños
(1) ounces cream cheese (room temp)
1/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup shredded parmesan
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Add salt to taste and refrigerate overnight for best results.

I like it cold, but you can top with additional Parmesan and mozzarella and bake.

Serve with crackers, tortilla chips, crostini, etc.

Optional: Add diced water chestnuts for crunch.

Last edited:
Back