The Food Thread

@Alex Kenivel I am super curious about that (sour) Cashew Cream. I have serveral bags of the Kirkland cashews already.

I'm guessing it can't possibly taste exactly like sour cream, but how close is it, and what exactly does it taste like.

Perhaps that going to be too hard to describe in words?

@Alex Kenivel I am super curious about that (sour) Cashew Cream. I have serveral bags of the Kirkland cashews already.

I'm guessing it can't possibly taste exactly like sour cream, but how close is it, and what exactly does it taste like.

Perhaps that going to be too hard to describe in words?
It doesn't taste like sour cream, which is a plus for me because I don't really like the taste of sour cream. It has the same creamy texture that doesn't seperate like sour cream does. None of the sour aftertaste neither, as Cashew cream leans on the slightly sweet side depending on how much acidity is added from the other ingredients.

That Food/Meal Prep is outstanding! :beer

Making it easy to get to in a moment's notice, and
having those items ready to go sure looks handy.
Thanks! We're a bit lost throughout the week if we don't do it, so it's mandatory at this point. I'm teaching my son the finer points of chopping veggies so we can have another set of hands and get it done faster.

Oh, and I had Toaster Oven Nachos this week, too. Yours look delicious! :chef
I forgot a key ingredient as I was chomping away, Mexican cheese (I call it belly button cheese because of the smell) really makes the dish for me.

As much as I love not eating dairy, vegan cheese alternatives I've tried are a joke.

Looks delish. Are those eggs and chilli sauce on top?
Yeah eggs and:
1701218427590.jpeg

Tonight I'm going to try to recreate a salmon dish that we usually buy ready to cook at Costco, Salmon Milano. They didn't have any the last time I went so I've thawed out a few Frozen fillets and pre-made the pesto butter.

The recipe for the butter is 2:1 butter to pesto. I'm using 4 tbsp of butter an 2 tbsp of pesto. We keep a jar pesto in the freezer and break off chunks when needed. Microwave for a few seconds with the butter, mix it up, and Rapid chill with ice until it's solid again.
17012191035467469935991409876931.jpg

Tonight I'm going to try to recreate a salmon dish that we usually buy ready to cook at Costco, Salmon Milano. They didn't have any the last time I went so I've thawed out a few Frozen fillets and pre-made the pesto butter.

The recipe for the butter is 2:1 butter to pesto. I'm using 4 tbsp of butter an 2 tbsp of pesto. We keep a jar pesto in the freezer and break off chunks when needed. Microwave for a few seconds with the butter, mix it up, and Rapid chill with ice until it's solid again.
View attachment 14644
I could just eat raw salmon everyday. Love it

I forgot a key ingredient as I was chomping away, Mexican cheese (I call it belly button cheese because of the smell) really makes the dish for me.

As much as I love not eating dairy, vegan cheese alternatives I've tried are a joke.

Is that the delicious Queso Fresco, or Cotija? I'd die without cheese. Apart from Veggies it is the one thing I eat
nearly every darn day. I must have up to 10 cheeses on hand. Swiss, Romano, Parmeson, Provolone,
Colby Jack, Meunster, Mozzarella, 2 kinds of Sharp Cheddar, a Shredded Mexican Blend, Pepper Jack,
and Cottage. :LOL:

Last edited:
Salmon Milano copy was okay. Butter turned out great but the frozen salmon was dense and not as moist as I'd like. It spent 15 minutes in the oven at 400F.
20231128_184420.jpg

Creamer Potatoes in Instant Pot

20231128_175854.jpg

A pound or so of small potatoes, rinsed and dried. 2 tbsp of butter and about 1/2 tbsp of avocado oil in the instant pot set to saute. Melt butter and add potatoes, stirring to coat. Let sit for a minute and stir. Repeat the minute wait/stir for 5-10 min depending on amount of potatoes. Less potatoes means they can all make easier contact with the cooking surface and require less time to saute but I like to make bigger batches so it takes a little longer.

After they start to look singed on the outside I add dry spices:

2 tbsp granulated garlic
2 tbsp ranch powder mix
And I eyeball about a tbsp of ginger, Italian seasoning, taco seasoning or paprika, sometimes some curry powder and turmeric. I usually prepare these into a single bowl as the potatoes saute and pour it all over, mixing to coat.

Then I add about a half cup of water into the bottom of the pot. I like to use as little water as I can get away with and try hard not to pour directly over the potatoes so I'm not washing off the spices.

Set the instant pot to manual cook for 5 minutes, wait for the pot to pressurize, cook and then manually release the pressure. Fork into a serving bowl and discard the water/muck at the bottom.

20231128_184424.jpg

I made this as a side for Thanksgiving this year, but wasn't at home with my instant pot so I sautéed in a large pan and baked in the oven with the usual water-at-bottom method in a disposable covered foil pan. It took longer but came out okay.

I am not from New England. I don't have fresh Clams. I have never made Clam Chowder before.
I am making Clam Chowder now for the first time. Please don't kill me. Thank you. :beer

Back