The eagle has landed

Basically; the VII sounded awesome. Even with the wrong tube bias selection :oops: But it was super noisy. And effects weren't coming through as clearly. No idea if that was mental or placebo wtf contributed to that. FM9 was initially "winning" in this comparison (FX fidelity) by a LARGE margin.

I was originally going to use the FM9 in 4cm. I set it up to switch amp channels, switch GR55 presets and engage pre and post effects as needed. I have some humbuster cables but it is still a bit noisier than the Stomp. Not sure why. When switching back and forth and noticed the tube bias switch being wrong; I took a break to reset my ears. Then I went back at it and went between the VII and BL. I set the BL up as a 2 channel amp and the VII the same. Mainly trying to avoid bringing external drives or any need for pre effects and pedal power and floor real estate that comes with all that.

The BL worked great using (generally volume matched) Crunch/Crush settings on channel 1/2. You do all sorts of sh!t with the VII and it's various modes to give you a huge array of variably gained up tones.

I put the Stomp on top of the GR-55 top screen section (just above the preset name text) and put the expression pedal that controls the loop of the Stomp (Trumpet engage) on the right side of the GR55. This small board and whatever amp channel switch to the side will do what I need. For now. As always. Duh :rofl

juggling GIF

They don't make them like they used to applies here, even the new Mesa V30 is somewhat shrill in comparison to the early 00's ones everyone's hunting let alone a Chinese V30, there are many comparisons of that on youtube.
To make a modern Chinese V30 sound good in the room you have to blend it with a Greenback, Frieman knows.
Yeah I have done the greenback thing and loved it as well as the t75 thing and loved it (at inhuman volume).

Congrats on that beast @JiveTurkey, I'm dying to have one too! I Currently own a Mark III GS and I love it to death.

If my 2 cents mean anything get the MESA Flux Drive pedal, this thing, for me, out of all the pedals I have or had in the past is the only one that pairs magically with MESA amps as it cuts perfectly the low-end of the guitar just to tight the input, you don't even need to turn the drive knob up at all, if anything at 1. Trust me its a must have for any MESA owner.

Cheers.

Congrats on that beast @JiveTurkey, I'm dying to have one too! I Currently own a Mark III GS and I love it to death.

If my 2 cents mean anything get the MESA Flux Drive pedal, this thing, for me, out of all the pedals I have or had in the past is the only one that pairs magically with MESA amps as it cuts perfectly the low-end of the guitar just to tight the input, you don't even need to turn the drive knob up at all, if anything at 1. Trust me its a must have for any MESA owner.

Cheers.
I have the Grid Slammer and it is FANTASTIC. The DynaPlex is good too but I definitely prefer the GS. One of the big reasons I got a Mark was to remove the absolute need for drives up front (even though it's fantastic that way :rofl ). I have had all the Boogie pedals on my radar at one time or another :brick:love

I have the Grid Slammer and it is FANTASTIC. The DynaPlex is good too but I definitely prefer the GS. One of the big reasons I got a Mark was to remove the absolute need for drives up front (even though it's fantastic that way :rofl ). I have had all the Boogie pedals on my radar at one time or another :brick:love
You know you want one, you just don’t realize it yet…
Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

Hey @JiveTurkey can you let me know if you’re hearing the same thing I am? When I play the clean channel on either Clean or Fat, it sounds to me like a compressor is engaged. Are you hearing that too? It makes it super easy to get great sounding funk licks out, but I am finding my usual tone burst style OD I run into clean channels of all my amps (for added sparkle) actually makes the clean channel on this amp break up a bit.

I’m also going to experiment with mine with some different tube types as I’m getting a decent amount of noise in channels 2 and 3 for high gain applications, which I’m not getting with my other amps. Are you finding them to be a bit noisy as well?

I messed with the clean channel for all of about 10 minutes. Tops :bag I haven't put any drives up front because I am purposely trying to avoid that rabbit hole with this amp :rofl

This amp is definitely noisier than the Badlander. I think it has a lot to do with that EQ? I will know more this evening after 3+ hrs of loud time at a gig with it.

I am going to see how this gig goes. I will probably end up setting up my Stomp to change channels via MIDI if all goes well. I packed the footswitch but I literally will be switching from 1 to 2 and that's it. FX will always be on as will eq. No need for reverb at this point. We shall see indeed!

Years ago we did a gig in a restaurant/club that sat 80 or so and the owner said "Don't bring an amp, I want you to use ours."

So when I got there the amp they provided was a Line 6 Spider Valve, something I never would have chosen to play through. They gave me three minutes to dial it in. While setting it up the owner told me twice "It's too loud, turn it down."

I complied but once we started playing I inched up the volume to where I could actually be heard and the crowd loved us.

Afterwards the owner came up to me and said "Great set, let me know when you can come back!"

I thought,"Not on your life or for any amount of money". I should have brought my 100 watt half stack.

FBV6vGb.jpg

Bar gig. Ignore the spaghetti pile.

No time to dial in beforehand because dinner crowd who apparently doesn't like amps blasting their face :rofl

Gig was great. Had a blast as did the crowd. Still working on tones. Last Mk amp I dialed in at a gig was a studio preamp into a Laney power amp probably 20 years ago.:oops: I was tweaking between songs a number of times.

The GEQ is a trap. I'll be rethinking my methods with it live. I'll also be rethinking the huge footswitch and just repurpose my empty Stomp switch for channel select duties.

Overall; good experience!

The thing about coming in late on an "eagle has landed" thread by JT is that by the time I got here it sounds like the eagle is about to leave and it's also a pigeon
Here I Am Mirror GIF by Jeopardy!

You were there when I doubted the Badlander and look where we are now! :rofl

I'm always so overconcerned with being too gained up for the stuff we do that I end up dialing it back too much. I'm going to start caring a little less on that :satan

Back