The Coffee Thread

I prefer a coarser grind but with more actual coffee. I swear it turns out more buttery----if Coffee can be "buttery."

I was in the habit of doing a finer/espresso style grind and that wasn't maybe best for doing a 4-6 cup Pour Over. :idk

Which is why I love immersion brews. Lots of body, almost syrupy with longer immersion times.

I prefer a coarser grind but with more actual coffee. I swear it turns out more buttery----if Coffee can be "buttery."

I was in the habit of doing a finer/espresso style grind and that wasn't maybe best for doing a 4-6 cup Pour Over. :idk

Are you doing say a 1000g brew at one time? A few years ago when my coffee machine broke, I would brew 1000g (with 50g coffee) using a size 03 V60 into the thermal pot from the coffee machine.

I've been doing 600g brews lately, which gives me two full mugs. Have to heat it up for the second cup but easier than brewing twice. This morning I followed the same recipe as yesterday, 40g coffee with a coarser grind, and it's very nice.

Are you doing say a 1000g brew at one time? A few years ago when my coffee machine broke, I would brew 1000g (with 50g coffee) using a size 03 V60 into the thermal pot from the coffee machine.

I've been doing 600g brews lately, which gives me two full mugs. Have to heat it up for the second cup but easier than brewing twice. This morning I followed the same recipe as yesterday, 40g coffee with a coarser grind, and it's very nice.
Hoffman usually recommend 60g coffee per liter, so 40/600 is pretty close to that ratio. So try 60g for your 1000g brew into the thermal pot.

Hoffman usually recommend 60g coffee per liter, so 40/600 is pretty close to that ratio. So try 60g for your 1000g brew into the thermal pot.

Seconding this. I've been using the same ratio for years and I also cross-referenced that value with a number of other baristas at the time. I make 1L of coffee for 2 people every morning, straight into an insulated carafe.

Seconding this. I've been using the same ratio for years and I also cross-referenced that value with a number of other baristas at the time. I make 1L of coffee for 2 people every morning, straight into the insulated carafe.
Yeah I've messed around a bit, but always come back to the same.
For the Aeropress I've some fun trying out the various World Aeropress Championship winners recipes, there this one were you use 30g of coffee for 100g of water and dilute after that's really yummy.

there this one were you use 30g of coffee for 100g of water and dilute after

Wow! I've never heard of that approach. Makes a lot of sense now I've thought about it, because I suppose the extraction profile and chemistry will be vastly different.

Wow! I've never heard of that approach. Makes a lot of sense now I've thought about it, because I suppose the extraction profile and chemistry will be vastly different.
Here's the full recipe:
Coffee: 30g
Grind: 7/10 (1=very fine, 10=very coarse)
Water: 100g Spa Blauw water (30PPM) @ 92°C (197.6°F)
Brewer: Inverted
Filter: Aesir Filter (Rinsed)
Total brew time: 60 seconds
Directions:
1. Pour 100g of water on the coffee in 10 seconds.
2. Stir firmly for 20 times in 10 seconds.
3. Put the filter cap with rinsed filter on the brewer and gently press out excess air.
4. At 40 seconds, flip the AeroPress and press out all coffee.
5. You should end up with roughly 60g of extracted coffee.
6. Add 100g of water to the extracted coffee.
7. Taste and add more water until the desired strength (I ended up with 120g dilution)
8. Cool the brew down to roughly 60°C (140°F) by stirring and decanting
9. Slurp & enjoy!

I didn't follow it 100% buy cooling it down to 60 C after brewing, just enjoyed it straight away. I think I'll have to go make one right away now :p

For the Aeropress I've some fun trying out the various World Aeropress Championship winners recipes, there this one were you use 30g of coffee for 100g of water and dilute after that's really yummy.

A lot of guys do this to prevent under-extraction when using a coarse grind.

Mo’ ‘feine brah ☕
Already on it!
AD57548E-36E4-4073-AC3E-FB9760F011F6.jpeg

Yup. 900g to 1100g of water is my sweet spot. I find lower volumes I don't seem to be able to hone in as well. Not sure why. :idk

I can drink about 3 cups early, and then what is left I sometimes warm up for later in the day (sometimes mixed with Cacao).

If it is not sitting on a burner all day it tastes just as good, with none of that burnt bitterness.

That almost sounds similar to an Americano.... more or less.

(waiting for norminal to come in and correct me) :LOL:

Back