The Coffee Thread

I am a strictly pour over guy. I just can't do hot water. It over extracts and burns the grinds to
my tastebuds. I am about a 165-185F guy. Anything 190F and above just ends up a bit on the
rancid side when it hits my mouth. :idk
If you’re drinking dark roasts, you should use lower temperatures. I go straight off the boil for light roasts, which I drink the most. If you’re getting bitterness with light roasts, grind courser.

I am a strictly pour over guy. I just can't do hot water. It over extracts and burns the grinds to
my tastebuds. I am about a 165-185F guy. Anything 190F and above just ends up a bit on the
rancid side when it hits my mouth. :idk

What’s your brewer and grinder?

I don't really follow a strict methodology anymore. Have my system and method locked
in via repetition over the past years. I did find two things lead to bitter/acrid Coffee.

1) Water is too hot.

2) Coffee is ground too finely.

Ok, a 3rd thing. Bad Coffee. :LOL:

I like stout Coffee, so my ratio tends to be in the 13:1 realm.... give or take. Ok, maybe I do
follow a fairly strict methodology.:unsure: I just don't measure anything out. Using the same equipment
every day makes it pretty easy to eyeball. :idk

I don't do fancy. :sofa

Handheld Ceramic Burr Grinder. Pour Over with a Ceramic Knock-Off,
a Reusable Cone, and a Paper Filter. I have found the Paper Filters
helps. Tried no Paper and with Paper and right now I prefer with Paper. :idk

Everyone can personalize the process. Like with anything we can learn
the rules and then smash them.... or adapt them to our preferences. :beer

If you’re drinking dark roasts, you should use lower temperatures. I go straight off the boil for light roasts, which I drink the most. If you’re getting bitterness with light roasts, grind courser.

I like/enjoy Lighter Roasts at the moment. No idea why? Just changing it up.

I like/enjoy Lighter Roasts at the moment. No idea why? Just changing it up.
I usually do a medium-dark roast in the morning when I’m just trying to get caffeinated. Occasionally a splash of heavy cream, helps cut through the fat (butter) if I’m making eggs and/or a breakfast meat.

I save the real good stuff, which is most always lighter, for later in the afternoon and in the evening as a treat.

After brewing for several days with the Chemex, I figured out some stuff that applies to the V60.

With the Chemex and large brews (over 30g coffee), I really found that the bed was not fully getting saturated during the bloom phase. So I had to do multiple blooms and then the bed wasn't settled until the third pour.

Solution was to take a chopstick (I have a ton of plastic reusable ones) and spread out the grounds of the bed so there's a hole in the middle. So the bed is fully saturated for the bloom pour, and the subsequent pours are more consistent. I'm doing fewer pours now and creating kind of a wall of water that draws through the grinds instead of just wetting the grinds in a circular motion.

So with that cleaned up, then the drawdown seems much more dependent on grind size than on technique. Targeting between 5-7 minutes for the Chemex, which is about 5 on my Ode grinder.

Today I applied the same concept to V60 and got a much better cup. Interestingly, with only 18g of coffee, drawdown was way slower with the Hario filter, which would tell me to grind coarser next time. But the taste was closer to the Chemex, which was interesting.

After brewing for several days with the Chemex, I figured out some stuff that applies to the V60.

With the Chemex and large brews (over 30g coffee), I really found that the bed was not fully getting saturated during the bloom phase. So I had to do multiple blooms and then the bed wasn't settled until the third pour.

Solution was to take a chopstick (I have a ton of plastic reusable ones) and spread out the grounds of the bed so there's a hole in the middle. So the bed is fully saturated for the bloom pour, and the subsequent pours are more consistent. I'm doing fewer pours now and creating kind of a wall of water that draws through the grinds instead of just wetting the grinds in a circular motion.

So with that cleaned up, then the drawdown seems much more dependent on grind size than on technique. Targeting between 5-7 minutes for the Chemex, which is about 5 on my Ode grinder.

Today I applied the same concept to V60 and got a much better cup. Interestingly, with only 18g of coffee, drawdown was way slower with the Hario filter, which would tell me to grind coarser next time. But the taste was closer to the Chemex, which was interesting.
Chemex? Sounds tasty!

NCD:

685F3556-0501-460B-B631-17DF3E2E3BE6.jpeg

I got the third wave water stuff in and used for the last week, honestly not sure I taste any difference.
It really comes down to what you’re comparing it to. An A/B test might be worthwhile.

I know when compared to the highly treated river water I was using before, the difference was night and day.

Prior, I struggled with constant cups that would always end up being either too bitter or under-extracted. I could brew two identical brews and they would get very different results. Nowadays, I rarely pivot from a narrow range of grind sizes and water temps.

Just say "NO" to coffee.

I call it "The Devil's Bean". Not only does it taste like shit, but it will melt the innards of your mouth with its scalding hot temperature; giving you 3rd degree burns (as evidenced by that old lawsuit with that old lady who bought coffee at the drive thru of McDonald's and spilled it on her).

And if that's not enough evidence...

Fact: Coffee causes shrinkage ("Kilgore Trout" says so right here):

So simply just don't do it. The end result is only excruciating pain, melted & shrunken privates and sometimes even a hot, fiery liquid death.

View attachment 22636

I drink my coffee warm-hot but not scalding. Flavor notes are more identifiable at lower temperatures.

Yeah, definitely don’t have that problem here. 😂

When I started drinking coffee, I noticed the shrinkage (2" to be accurate) - so I stopped drinking it.

Thing is, I have more than enough to lose a few inches and still have plenty left over, so no harm no foul.

When I started drinking coffee, I noticed the shrinkage (2" to be accurate) - so I stopped drinking it.

Thing is, I have more than enough to lose a few inches and still have plenty left over, so no harm no foul.

I came home with a turkey under my arm one night, and my wife asked me where I got it. I told her I won it in a pecker measuring contest. She said you pulled all of that out just for a turkey? I said no, just enough to win!

I usually do a medium-dark roast in the morning when I’m just trying to get caffeinated. Occasionally a splash of heavy cream, helps cut through the fat (butter) if I’m making eggs and/or a breakfast meat.

I save the real good stuff, which is most always lighter, for later in the afternoon and in the evening as a treat.

Great idea! :chef

Having a cup now to enjoy and chill after 10 hours of Expresswaying today. :guiness

Just say "NO" to coffee.

I call it "The Devil's Bean". Not only does it taste like shit, but it will melt the innards of your mouth with its scalding hot temperature; giving you 3rd degree burns (as evidenced by that old lawsuit with that old lady who bought coffee at the drive thru of McDonald's and spilled it on her).

And if that's not enough evidence...

Fact: Coffee causes shrinkage ("Kilgore Trout" says so right here):

So simply just don't do it. The end result is only excruciating pain, melted & shrunken privates and sometimes even a hot, fiery liquid death.

Why didn't you post that Mayo Clinic study in the "Did You KNOW?" Thread? :idk

Also, a picture of your pecker if you are so inclined. :hugitout

Here's my Bullshit Internet Reference for the night. :LOL:

Oh, and I saw a Pileated Woodpecker two days ago on the Suet Feeder.
Such a cool and wonderfully goofy creature. :chef

Back