The Coffee Thread

Okay just tried that Hoffman method exactly as described. It's better than what I did before but not as good as what I made earlier. I ground coarser, finished pouring at 2 minutes, kept the swirls very gentle, and drawdown still took up to 3:30.

Now I'm way too caffeinated :bonk

Okay just tried that Hoffman method exactly as described. It's better than what I did before but not as good as what I made earlier. I ground coarser, finished pouring at 2 minutes, kept the swirls very gentle, and drawdown still took up to 3:30.

Now I'm way too caffeinated :bonk
It varies so much with the beans, I have to tweak for every time I crack open a new bag. Half the fun. :)

I tried the cold brew overnight the other day, after a couple cups I learned that the cold brew is a lot more caffeinated, got pretty dizzy :LOL:

Man I hate when I run out of creamer and don't feel like going out, so I have to drink black coffee. :guiness:barf

But I want a cup of coffee, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I had a friend in 1997 introduce me to my first coffee bean grinder at his apartment. Been
buying whole beans ever since.

Bye bye, Folgers!!! :LOL:

Super Bowl Ok GIF by Pepsi

Splurged again to finish the overhaul of my brewing setup.

Wanted a proper flat bottom brewer and was really considering the Kalita Wave but picked up the Fellow Stagg X instead. I have the XF but don’t like to use it as it’s so tall so you can’t control pours well. The smaller one works much better as you can flatten the ridges of the filter on the sides. Plus it has good heat retention and is very durable.

Also continued with the Fellow theme with a Carter mug. Since my Ember died I am back to drinking out of either a regular ceramic mug where the coffee gets cold in five minutes or an insulated Yeti which is not a great experience either. The Carter is kind of in between the two, double wall insulated steel but with a ceramic coating and a nice curved lip which makes it much nicer to drink from. This morning it kept my coffee hot for 45 minutes.

“The real impact of this paper is that the most reproducible thing you can do is use less coffee,” said Hendon. “If you use 15 grams instead of 20 grams of coffee and grind your beans coarser, you end up with a shot that runs really fast but tastes great. Instead of taking 25 seconds, it could run in 7 to 14 seconds. But you end up extracting more positive flavors from the beans, so the strength of the cup is not dramatically reduced. Bitter, off-tasting flavors never have a chance to make their way into the cup.”

Less is more. :guiness

We have an older DeLonghi Dedica model, along with a separate DeLonghi grinder.

I know the Dedica is one of the more unpopular espresso machines and sometimes gets bad reviews, but it's pretty good if you adjust it well, and buy the right beans (upper-tier Lavazza are decent enough for me). ❤️

My partner is Italian though. She got me to appreciate "real" coffee after decades of not really liking anything besides Greek Frappé. 😁

Screenshot_20240108-073730.png

“The real impact of this paper is that the most reproducible thing you can do is use less coffee,” said Hendon. “If you use 15 grams instead of 20 grams of coffee and grind your beans coarser, you end up with a shot that runs really fast but tastes great. Instead of taking 25 seconds, it could run in 7 to 14 seconds. But you end up extracting more positive flavors from the beans, so the strength of the cup is not dramatically reduced. Bitter, off-tasting flavors never have a chance to make their way into the cup.”

Less is more. :guiness
1/1 Yngwie Malmsteens disagree with this. ;)

I've been experimenting with the amount and grind for coffee with an Aeropress and found that reducing the amount of coffee actually didn't have that big an effect on the taste as long as the grind is coarse, until you go too low and it ends up not being strong enough.

Mum sent me a reup on my favorite Snake River shiz

1CB4804D-3259-42A6-A613-2435E27FEFAE.jpeg

Also, as has become tradition with my sister hit the Denver Beer Co. Beer, bacon, coffee fest. Unlimited of the aforementioned trio from 8am to 11 with special breakfast themed brews

E9C12E34-DE74-4FF5-B6C8-2A2EA91472CF.jpeg

Recenty back from a week in Cancun... one thing my wife and I both noticed was the great coffee our hotel (Krystal) brewed up. Missing it.. so much ... it was so wonderfulIy rich and smooth. Now trying the baking soda trick... helps defeat the acidity a fair bit... but I need to rethink my basic drip method I think.

Back