The Coffee Thread

71uwDn5WJEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Brewer and grinder?
On the cheap, I’d say a Hario Mini-Slim+ grinder with a V60, Mellita, Clever Dripper, etc. or Aeropress (or Aeropress XL depending on the quantity). A better grinder will always yield better coffee, so price that accordingly.

I prefer immersion brews, so I’m partial to the Aeropress. Go the pour over route if you prefer a cleaner cup.

On the cheap, I’d say a Hario Mini-Slim+ grinder with a V60, Mellita, Clever Dripper, etc. or Aeropress (or Aeropress XL depending on the quantity). A better grinder will always yield better coffee, so price that accordingly.

I prefer immersion brews, so I’m partial to the Aeropress. Go the pour over route if you prefer a cleaner cup.

I need something portable, small and lightweight (and maybe independent of electricity). I don’t mind grinding by hand. But I need to get the water hot.

Needs to be easy as I usually get up early and in the dark. Pretty foggy until a few sips. 😉

I need something portable, small and lightweight (and maybe independent of electricity). I don’t mind grinding by hand. But I need to get the water hot.

Needs to be easy as I usually get up early and in the dark. Pretty foggy until a few sips. 😉
Aeropress makes a travel size brewer as well:

Boiling water without a flame or power may be challenging. Check Amazon for something portable. Personally, I’d go for a Jetboil camping stove or something similar. They’re fairly light and compact.

Aeropress would be my recommendation. The only thing you need to figure out is the water. I just use an electric kettle with temperature settings so I get the exact right temp. When I didn't have one, a thermometer and boiling water in a small pot is what I did.

The only concern I have about using something like a jet boil is that I may be in a small room in a house/hotel/alberge aka hostel and don’t want to trigger any fire alarm at 4:30 am lol

I have a jet boil or two stashed around here for emergencies…. Hmm 🤔

The only concern I have about using something like a jet boil is that I may be in a small room in a house/hotel/alberge aka hostel and don’t want to trigger any fire alarm at 4:30 am lol

I have a jet boil or two stashed around here for emergencies…. Hmm 🤔
Aren't fire alarms usually triggered by the detector reacting to low oxygen amounts in the air, e.g. when there's smoke buildup?

But yeah, not exactly the nightly surprise I'd wanna wake up to.

The Jetboil is small enough that you could probably carry a small portable electric kettle as well. Depends on how much you want in your backpack I guess.

Was at the Bodum website today buying a nice French press for my brother for christmas, couldn't resist ordering their cold brew press for a mere $11

1700963475916.jpeg

So salted caramel is a thing. There is salted peanuts mixed with chocolate.... or salted peanut butter. Thank you
Reese's. There is salted Cocoa, so why not salt in Coffee? :idk

Been experimenting with this more today by adding some Maldon Smoked Salt too my Coffee today. This is a thing.
It's subtle, but complimentary to the notes in the Coffee. I am going to keep doing this (and not just for the suspect
health implications). Blasphemy or not. I dig it. :guiness

A bit on the pricy side but I have yet to find better beans than Snake River Roasting Co. out of Wyoming

https://www.snakeriverroastingco.com/

I get an hoot out of these Northern locales having the best beans. Must be fires for roasting are
superior the farther north of the Equator (where most coffee grows) you go. :LOL:

Or maybe it is the ice bath they get immediately after roasting. :idk

Or the Buffalo dung they use to fuel their roasting ovens.

I kid. :beer

Back