The 100 Dollar Matching Bias Tones in Helix challenge MKII

pipelineaudio

Shredder
Edit: Newer version of the test files here, fixing inconsistencies with last year's files

This was really fun last time, and I am still using the winner's preset live so it was definitely worth the money!

However, it still didn't get too close, and I want to give this another try. If it still doesn't work, I will just stick my phone in the helix fx loop or try the mooer profiling preamp or Amplitube Tonex

Here's how it works, I have some files and an impulse to test with. I will provide a preset that I use in case you have BiasFX, if not, you should be able to do it fro mthe Bias Amp demo. They have changed some of the included amps, but should be pretty close, I used the Metal 5153, with all the stock settings except bypassing the cab and using the impulse I provided

I would prefer just the amp sound, as I may be changing the impulse later, this one is included just so you can have an apples to apples reference

Here are the files you can pop in https://www.dropbox.com/s/gae7r3sv8i78ng4/BiasHelixFiles.zip?dl=0
Test File-glued - The DI guitar looped for this test
Bias Output-glued - The rendered file from playing the Test File thru the desired Bias amp settings
Helix Attempt-glued - My attempt at it
LAR48k - The reference Impulse

Here are the settings and correct amp in Bias Amp 2. It should just be the stock settings on the amp itself, just bypass the cab (might have to do settings/unlock signal path - enable, in order to bypass the cab
5153 picker.png

5153 settings.png

My rendered output actually includes BiasFX 808 pedal in front of the amp at 0 drive and tone and level both at 5

biasfx.png

I'll decide who is closest and venmo/cashapp/whatever 100 dollars to your account. I'll be running this across a few forums, but I'll put the updates and winner here as well

Please post the wave you got if you can. And/or upload the Helix preset. In order to collect, you'll need to be able to provide the preset

Last edited:
Is this a really roundabout way of getting someone to go through the hassle of dialing in a Bias tone on a Helix for you? :rofl
If that's the way you want to cast it...Really its a way for someone who really knows how to program the helix well to make a slight bonus as a down payment to their Tonex pedal

Last time the first thread got locked by TGP because the alleged experts who were talking down to everyone were unable to get anywhere close, or mostly ran away, but there were three or four pretty cool (but very different tones) and one ended up with my current amp I use the most lately. 100 dollars well spent

Its pretty crazy just how drastically different peoples' approaches are. I tried to get Choptones to do it, as they seem to be able to get extremely similar tones from both units but they said they don't take custom commissions or something similar

Also, I don't mind "hassle", its just beyond my abilities to get anywhere close, and I tried with all sorts of tricks, matching eq's just pedals, whatever...there's a certain thing happening, a "hardness" I just can't get in Helix that shows easily in Bias. I don;t even know if its possible on the Helix

Right on, man! I don’t have either unit so I’m out on this one. That could have been a month’s supply of edibles for me! :ROFLMAO:

Also, I don't mind "hassle", its just beyond my abilities to get anywhere close, and I tried with all sorts of tricks, matching eq's just pedals, whatever...there's a certain thing happening, a "hardness" I just can't get in Helix that shows easily in Bias. I don;t even know if its possible on the Helix
To go after that I would probably use a Vitriol boosted w screamer
You will probably need an eq to low cut , pull back bias , bias excursion
Master volume and Sag

Best I could probably do is achieve the frequency response via recorded sound as I don't have the software to help nail the dynamic response.

Since you want the amp sound without the IR, could you post a cabless clip? Your DI seems really hot, too. Is it boosted in post?

Please run these two pink noise files through your plugin without IR, export and upload, I'll try my best.

Can you also upload a processed DI sound without the IR? I don't have Bias Amp and don't want to install it.

EDIT:
I see a processed-no-IR clip is already up.
Also, not interested in 100$, just for the fun of it.

I think that this is largely a dynamic thing and I'm not sure whether it'll work out well, especially when playing through the patches.
At least one would need to be able to play through both the Bias and HX patches.

Please run these two pink noise files through your plugin without IR, export and upload, I'll try my best.

Can you also upload a processed DI sound without the IR? I don't have Bias Amp and don't want to install it.

EDIT:
I see a processed-no-IR clip is already up.
Also, not interested in 100$, just for the fun of it.
Alright, now we are getting sciencey!!!! Here are the pink files run thru with no cab, and both on and off the tube screamer, and then also a pair with only the tube screamer, no cab and no amp. I'm going to scope the bias vs helix tube screamer real quick on my end too

As close as I can get it using pink noise without installing Bias Amp, emphasis was on amp gain and frequency response, the technique I used is my unpatented™ manual tone matching sandwich.
edit: I tried to match the TS too at -6db where it most matters (slightly less accurate at -75db to not use another eq slot), enable both the TS and the eq before it.
There is a very unnatural drop off from 13kHz that no real amp or other modeler does, I tried to match this too.

tone matching sandwich.png

no TS no Cab.png

Bias Amp 5153 clip by pipelineaudio in post #13:

Helix Bias 5153 Preset using DI track (Test File-glued.wav) from post #1:

Provided IR in post #1 (LAR48k.wav) is applied in DAW.

edit: Vocaroo is not lossless, if you want the processed DI wav ask and I'll add it.

PS.
Something is not right, "Bias Output-glued" in post #1 sounds very different than applying your LAR48k IR later in DAW on your clip from post #13, they should sound identical.
Maybe the IR loader in Bias Amp is doing something funny?

Last edited:
As close as I can get it using pink noise without installing Bias Amp, emphasis was on amp gain and frequency response, the technique I used is my unpatented™ manual tone matching sandwich.
edit: I tried to match the TS too at -6db where it most matters (slightly less accurate at -75db to not use another eq slot), enable both the TS and the eq before it.
There is a very unnatural drop off from 13kHz that no real amp or other modeler does, I tried to match this too.

View attachment 4116

View attachment 4117

Bias Amp 5153 clip by pipelineaudio in post #13:

Helix Bias 5153 Preset using DI track (Test File-glued.wav) from post #1:

Provided IR in post #1 (LAR48k.wav) is applied in DAW.

edit: Vocaroo is not lossless, if you want the processed DI wav ask and I'll add it.

Sounds pretty damn spot on from my iPad speaker!

Back