The 100 Dollar Matching Bias Tones in Helix challenge MKII

Sounds pretty damn spot on from my iPad speaker!

High Fidelity !

LEc3WHWIHhGlSaT4.jpg

Fwiw, when I tried to match the tone, I was using the ANGL Meteor in HXN and got pretty close (at least I think so...). Could post some results but it'd likely be a decent idea to know which version would be the one to compare to...

I wonder if I did something wrong in my renders. I should do a version where I use helix's IR loader instead.

This sounds pretty damn close! Playing with it now. Interesting that it is the Vitriol amp, wasn't that added very recently?

Something is not right, "Bias Output-glued" in post #1 sounds very different than applying your LAR48k IR later in DAW on your clip from post #13, they should sound identical.
Maybe the IR loader in Bias Amp is doing something funny?
I noticed the same thing when loading the IR into mixIR2 -- notsomuch with the IR loaded into Native

Here's using the Helix IR loader instead, and all new copies just in case....All that said, the preset you made seems so damn close, it maybe doesnt matter, trying to see how to clear up enough DSP for the vitriol amp in my kitchen sink preset

If there's any way it could be done on the Angl Meteor, that would be awesome, its a lot less dsp than vitriol

Last edited:
I think the weird area around where an LPF would be in the bias file has to do with Bias' weird (or possibly non existent) anti aliasing filter

If there's any way it could be done on the Angl Meteor, that would be awesome, its a lot less dsp than vitriol

I was close with your original file already, will give the IR-free version a testrun later on. Here's the last used settings:

Logic Pro X.jpg

and I also slapped a Tilt EQ in front (instead of going for the good ole TS trick):

1675194399768.jpeg

Oh, and a post 10-band EQ:

Logic Pro X-2.jpg

Followed by your IR loaded into HXN.

No audio yet, fooled around too much with some other stuff in the meantime, so something changed inmidst of that file mess in my audiofile folder (was already going for your second batch of files), but you might want to give these settings a try.

@James Freeman The Bias tubescreamer seems to add 3.3db when it is alone and with your pink noise running thru it.

In order top match that in your preset, I set the scream 808's level to 5.3 and then added 12 dB output level to the parametric EQ following it. I then used Youlean to see what the noise floor was, and ended up setting the pre gain of the vitriol amp down to 1.7dB, as opposed to the original 6.0dB in your preset

This seems to get it pretty close..Is there anything wrong with doing it that way?

@James Freeman The Bias tubescreamer seems to add 3.3db when it is alone and with your pink noise running thru it.

In order top match that in your preset, I set the scream 808's level to 5.3 and then added 12 dB output level to the parametric EQ following it. I then used Youlean to see what the noise floor was, and ended up setting the pre gain of the vitriol amp down to 1.7dB, as opposed to the original 6.0dB in your preset

This seems to get it pretty close..Is there anything wrong with doing it that way?
Check yer pink noise ;)

There are four rules I live by:
  1. Never get less than 12 hours sleep
  2. Never play cards with a man that has the same name as a city
  3. Never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body
  4. Always run two pink noise files through your plugins
Everything else is cream cheese.

Is there anything wrong with doing it that way?
There is no 'wrong', tweak until you're satisfied with the results.
I matched the gain of the isolated tube screamer and isolated amp separately from your first upload, I am not responsible for any hidden weird stuff when they are both enabled, although I did see that the gain doesn't match with the -75db noise when both are enabled.

Anyway, I think you got the handle of this so just keep experimenting and tweaking.

Maybe this post will further help (gain matching only):

Back