An Experiment with Room Micing and Tonex

Deadpan

Shredder
Vendor
At @SKU 's request I am experimenting with room micing captures with Tonex.

First, I have made a capture of the Silver Jubilee with a Beyerdynamic MM1 mic at a distance of 3' and a 90-degree angle.

I haven't yet figured out how to load the correction file, but the mic is pretty flat as is, especially in the guitar frequency range.

You can download the preset here:

Let me know what you think?

All right. Only now I managed to test the capture. I think there's still a hint of "microphone" but it sounds and feels really good! I think this is a path that should be investigated.

This was captured with room mics with a zoom Q4n.
I have a Ceriatone 2555 and a 2x12 V30 cab. I will record a clip and switch between the actual amp/cab and Tonex and see what the differences are when recorded this way. What I look for is a direct sound.

If you remember them please share the settings you used for the capture.

Thanks @Deadpan

All right. Only now I managed to test the capture. I think there's still a hint of "microphone" but it sounds and feels really good! I think this is a path that should be investigated.

Nice tone !

Great playing too !

• Much Love
Reactions: SKU
At @SKU 's request I am experimenting with room micing captures with Tonex.

First, I have made a capture of the Silver Jubilee with a Beyerdynamic MM1 mic at a distance of 3' and a 90-degree angle.

I haven't yet figured out how to load the correction file, but the mic is pretty flat as is, especially in the guitar frequency range.

You can download the preset here:

Let me know what you think?
Can the correction file be transformed into an IR file and loaded that way?

I have a Ceriatone 2555 and a 2x12 V30 cab. I will record a clip and switch between the actual amp/cab and Tonex and see what the differences are when recorded this way. What I look for is a direct sound.

Thanks @Deadpan

So I listen to that here... and it doesn't sound like amp in the room at all. It just sounds like a badly mic'd guitar signal.

So I listen to that here... and it doesn't sound like amp in the room at all. It just sounds like a badly mic'd guitar signal.
It doesn’t sound like Amp where I'm at on my recording of course. It sounds close to Amp where I'm at in my room.
I will make a comparison to real Amp where I'm at Using the same recording method to see what the differences are.
Basically when recording a regular "FRFR" tone this way it sounds doubly recorded if that makes sense

Thanks @Deadpan
Welcome. Thought this capture was slightly lacking low end so I did another which I find a little better.

I will keep at it and probably update my Tonex packs to include room captures for free. Hoping this can happen.

Here are the settings.

Attachments

• 20240217_094230.jpg
    20240217_094230.jpg
    996.7 KB · Views: 6
Back