St. Rock AMPERIUM LIVE

Greetings, all.

Just ordered the Amperium Live. Some hoop-jumping was necessary to get the order to take, but it did go through.

The Michael Nielsen video is what sold me & don't give a flyin' frig that it doesn't have a touch screen or dilithium crystals on a given reverb. I'm old(er) and meat + potatoes is all I require. That includes effects as well - phase/flange/vibe etc. The editor looks pretty straight forward & nice to see the signal chain is divided into both preamp & power amp. Also love that it has bluetooth so it can be edited with any manner of screen.

The Amperium Live will replace the Amplifire I'm currently using for recording. Not being able to connect to the editor was the final straw. Still dig the Marshall tones in it, although from all I've heard, the Amperium can more than hold it's own with just about anything out there. Amp tones, especially.

Here's hoping it gets supported for the foreseeable future & nice to see the @st.Rock guys hanging out here.

TB2 & TB3 are proud of you.

How so?
I'm actually pretty serious. I need decent on-unit-editing for a number of reasons. Very unfortunately (and I really mean it, because everything I've heard so far was pretty damn great) the Amperium doesn't offer decent on-unit-editing. And while having a tablet connected all the time might be cool at home or wherever, on a stage (or even just at a rehearsal) it's not.
So, given all the inner qualities, this thing might be all the way up my alley, the price is pretty decent, too. But I won't buy a unit with that rudimentary editing options.

Last edited:
How so?
I'm actually pretty serious. I need decent on-unit-editing for a number of reasons. Very unfortunately (and I really mean it, because everything I've heard so far was pretty damn great) the Amperium doesn't offer decent on-unit-editing. And while having a tablet connected all the time might be cool at home or wherever, on a stage (or even just at a rehearsal) it's not.
So, given all the inner qualities, this thing might be all the way up my alley, the price is pretty decent, too. But I won't buy a unit with that rudimentary editing options.

All have a price...
If you want quality emulation of many amps you need to do all controls like in modeled amps.
One amp has 3 knobs other 7 + a lot of switches + maybe 5 band eq -) etc.
How do you imagine it must look? Like a mixer console?
The best solution is a cortex variant - footswitches\knobs + screen.
Yes it works but price equivalent 3 of Amperium...
Maybe it makes sense, maybe not....

Now all on stage processes more and more with notebooks\ipads\digital mixer consoles. With playbacks from notebook, midi control, etc.
One word that can describe it's a compromise. But everyone have own criteria's. -)

What I really like about the device is the separate modeling of the pre- and power amp. This gives you plenty of opportunities to experiment. However, I wonder why the default power amp model for the 5150 preamp is the 5150III and not the 5150... :unsure:

How do you imagine it must look? Like a mixer console?

No, but the most commonly used parameters should be exposed simultaneously.
For most amps that'd be 5, namely gain, master, bass, mid, treble. These are the ones I always adjust when editing sounds. It's pretty much what the Helix is doing, the GT-1000 and quite some others, too.

No, but the most commonly used parameters should be exposed simultaneously.
For most amps that'd be 5, namely gain, master, bass, mid, treble. These are the ones I always adjust when editing sounds. It's pretty much what the Helix is doing, the GT-1000 and quite some others, too.
It's just a compromise that would suit you...

It's just a compromise that would suit you...

Seems to suit many people. At least quite some folks absolutely love being able to dial in their tonestacks without having to flip through parameter pages all the time. And regardless how you put it, the more encoders allowing for direct access of whatever parameters, the better it is. Absolutely no way around it. click-and-scroll-to-select-then-edit is all the way the 90s method of on-unit-editing.
Seriously, no offense meant, but that part of the story simply isn't anything you folks have realized nicely (and as said, if that was any different, I'd instantly order one of your boxes).

It`s not just about a price, size with more encoders, bigger (touch) screen will be bigger too.
Encoders like on cortex (i.e. mechanical parts for ordinary encoders) will be costly to manufacture etc.
But, on other hand, ToneX Pedal format can be example of compact form.

Seriously, no offense meant, but that part of the story simply isn't anything you folks have realized nicely (and as said, if that was any different, I'd instantly order one of your boxes).
but it will be cost another money...
Encoders was changed to touch screens...

Meanwhile new beta is out...

Is there a way to try the beta 😬
Speaking of betas, I’ve been working with @st.Rock over email to understand the issue I’ve had trying to upload my favorite IR to Amperium.

Vasilius has been helpful working through this, and even shared a beta software with me that is supposed to address the issue. I haven’t tested it out yet, because Vasilius also modified my IR to get it to where Amperium can load it—so I haven’t exactly needed to load the beta.

Great support from the St Rock crew.

Is there a way to try the beta 😬
https://thegearforum.com/threads/st-rock-amperium-live.3251/post-132781

+ will be available from about section in software after release
1699123078530.png

Back