St. Rock AMPERIUM LIVE

Based on my scientific calculations the Amperium is 62.4% easier to use than the FM3.
The Amperium has to have the app connected to be considered easy to use and without it, good luck.

We can say the Amperium app and fractal edit cancel out for ease of use but the fractal units have a better on device UI (if you can imagine). So I honestly wouldn't say the Amperium is easier. Yeah you can deep edit in the fractal but you just simply don't go to those tabs and you won't have to worry about it.

The Amperium has to have the app connected to be considered easy to use and without it, good luck.

Amperium app can run on a phone. Plus adjusting BMT volume and gain on the unit is easy.

Also, and this is HUGE. No tethering.

images

Last edited:
Amperium app can run on a phone. Plus adjust BMT volume and gain on the unit is easy.

Also, and this is HUGE. No tethering.

images
Sure, I just think it's a little of a stretch to compare the Amperium to the FM3.

I just always question if you can't get a tone out of a fractal unit you like, is it user error, and will they be prone to make the same mistakes in the Amperium?

Sure, I just think it's a little of a stretch to compare the Amperium to the FM3.

But no one is doing that. The question is which might be better for Ibby who wants easier.
On your second point, for someone with option anxiety there's boat loads less possible mistakes (the user's perception) to make with the Amperium than the FM3! :rofl

Hmmmmm, did I maybe increase the bass too much?

vs

1703526583349.png

Last edited:
Hmmmmm, did I maybe increase the bass too much?

vs

1703526583349.png
Good thing you can just edit the bass on an amp block very simply then.

I'm not a sub to the fractal has too much to tweak. Most don't travel off the main amp block I imagine.

The Amperium is a great device. Whatever they decide, I still recommend having both simultaneously to compare themselves

Last edited:
The Amperium interface looks like a PacMan watch. He said; with love. If I want simple; I'd probably just mix and match some Tech21 character pedals or something similar.

If you know what amps you want to use, then, its very easy to dial-in. If you're using it with a power amp and real cab, then, it's even easier.

If you're a preset player, then, you might not get what you want out of it (for now)

This is a DIY kind of pedal and it only comes with 4 presets and 2 cab irs. Make your own presets and banks. Perhaps get into playlists. Load your favourite cab irs. Setup routing for your amplification on left side and right-side for recording/mixing desk etc. Instant gratification for those who know what they want and know what they're doing. The learning curve is quite low though tbh and easy to get into.

Once bank sharing becomes available it will open this device up to more people. Until then, this is where things stand.

I don't have a fractal but I do have a Helix and I prefer dialing in amps on the Aperium. The amps have the controls you expect and sound and behave the way you expect. I have my helix set up permanently to record because it does have more effects and can run more amps if I need that flexibility but live I'm essentially doing an 80s thrash thing and it's ridiculously easy to dial that in on the Amperium. And that's exactly what I bought it for.

The Amperium interface looks like a PacMan watch. He said; with love. If I want simple; I'd probably just mix and match some Tech21 character pedals or something similar.
Don‘t judge it by how it looks! I actually found the onboard UI surprisingly easy and intuitive to use.

I actually think with the cross hatched silkscreening hints more at Donkey Kong.

amp.jpg

pac.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm that's strange tbh. Are you well versed in digital gear? You'll still have to fiddle with the Amperium

I suggest having both and selling the one you don't like
I can make fm3 sound good but it requires serious tweaking from poweramp page, input&output eq and such. It would be great to have a unit where you just change the amp block and it's great out of the box. With fractal you have to tweak and re-tweak. But that said, I just played guitar (tweaked my fm3) and got a great fryette deliverance sound. But then there is rectifier which I never get a decent sound off and I've played a real dual recto and it was easy to dial in. Thats annoying. You have about 300 amps and you can use maybe 50. St least thats my experience

I disagree that the fm3 requires a lot of dialing in for stock sounds. I am not a big recto fan, but I played in a band with a recto guy for years. I know the sound well. I'm more of a Mark IIC++ guy from the Mesa world. The Fractal rectos get all the good
(that low end push!) and the bad (flab) of those stock sounds. Boost them and tweak them a little, not a lot, and you've got great recto sounds. Another option is to just use a modern Engl.... which is a good bit of what a Recto would be if it was tweaked out of the box.

People sleep on the Fractal brand Modern amps - you really shouldn't! There's a reason Periphery and others used, and use. them for years for djent and other 7 string stuff.

There are YT videos that get you good Fractal Recto in a few minutes, not hours; look at Leon Todd for an easy example . The choice of cab(s) and mic(s) is really the key IMHO for recording. The amp boost and EQ (though I prefer cuts at the cab versus EQ later) is typical stuff for modern metal. The right multi-band compression is also key for studio sounds.

Most people's favorite recto sounds have little to do with the amp by itself. If you want a well mixed modern recto sound with no tweaking One Knob from Bogren Digital is your best bet by far. Inexpensive too.

Last edited:
Afternoon chaps

just received my Amperium in the UK, finding my way around, is it just Bank 0 that comes with loaded factory presets, the rest are blank .

are there other banks to import to get me started

ta

Afternoon chaps

just received my Amperium in the UK, finding my way around, is it just Bank 0 that comes with loaded factory presets, the rest are blank .

are there other banks to import to get me started

ta
Not that I'm aware of but maybe St Rock can chime in

Back