St. Rock AMPERIUM LIVE

I'll take the phone app personally.

THIS
View attachment 15737

VS
View attachment 15738
Phone option is good, sure. However, in live use I much prefer onboard control. Wireless connection can be unreliable, or you have to think "where´s the phone?", or you have to grab it "somehow", or sliding in the screen could be a mess, not having precise control of what the valule is, maybe even not seing it because your hand is in the middle of the number and your eyes, etc.

Phone option is better than nothing, but for me, it´s not comparable to just bend down to the unit and touch a knob in a couple seconds when you´re in a rush.

For me, useable onboard UI is a must. Not neccesary a fantastic, cool designed, mega-modern UI. Just a quickly useable one (even the ones from the GT-1 or similar).

TBH I think that the onboard UI of the Amperium is absolutely usable. The display might look a bit dated, but the UI works just fine.

TBH I think that the onboard UI of the Amperium is absolutely usable. The display might look a bit dated, but the UI works just fine.

It's one single knob to do everything. That, at least IMO, completely rules it out from being useable. Can't even adjust gain and level without parameter flipping. It's 2023 and not 1989.
And fwiw, I don't even care about display looks. For me, any monochrome display with good enough contrast will do.

Amperium came to me and I am happy. @eggpl@nt thanks for your recommendation.
@st.Rock @deLuther I have a few questions.
How to make two channels audible separately by two XLR's (stereo)?
Could you please send me two default IR files?
I can't connect my phone (android) via bluetooth, it asks me for a PIN, what am I doing wrong (my firmware is latest beta)?

Last edited:
Amperium came to me and I am happy. @eggpl@nt thanks for your recommendation.
@st.Rock @deLuther I have a few questions.
How to make two channels audible separately by two XLR's (stereo)?
Could you please send me two default IR files?
I can't connect my phone (android) via bluetooth, it asks me for a PIN, what am I doing wrong (my firmware is latest beta)?
You no need any password - just run the app.
About separate XLR I am didn't understand the question. They separate.

default bank
www.st-rock.com/AmperiumSupport/default.bnk.zip

Would I regret if I sold my fm3 and bought amperium? Does it have an effects loop? It works as an audio interface too like fm3?

They aren't trying to be the same thing - so trading one for the other doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Long time Fractal guy here, but if I needed a desk only device for recording, the Amp could make sense.
I've never used one but would like to.

What don‘t you like about the FM3?
It's overkill for me. I only use amp modeling, I get my fx from the DAW. And I'm not totally liking it's amp modeling. You need to tweak a lot to get it sound good. If I sold my fm3 and got amperium I would make 250-300€ to be used getting synergy Syn-1. I'm intrigued to try out synergy. I would connect synergy to fx loop of amperium and get the best of both worlds, analog & digital.

It's overkill for me. I only use amp modeling, I get my fx from the DAW. And I'm not totally liking it's amp modeling. You need to tweak a lot to get it sound good. If I sold my fm3 and got amperium I would make 250-300€ to be used getting synergy Syn-1. I'm intrigued to try out synergy. I would connect synergy to fx loop of amperium and get the best of both worlds, analog & digital.
In that case, yeah, I guess a switch to the Amperium would absolutely make sense!

Last edited:
And I'm not totally liking it's amp modeling. You need to tweak a lot to get it sound good.
Hmmm that's strange tbh. Are you well versed in digital gear? You'll still have to fiddle with the Amperium

I suggest having both and selling the one you don't like

Hmmm that's strange tbh. Are you well versed in digital gear? You'll still have to fiddle with the Amperium

Comparing editing options on an Amperium to a Fractal device is disingenuous. Not that you are doing that but the implication is kinda there.

One is set up like a normal amp's controls while the other is set up like an amp modders/tweakers wet dream.
And please don't say "but you can just use the FM3 simple controls" cause that's not how it works with us guitarists. If there's a second page of
tonal adjustment options WE WILL CHECK THEM OUT AND FIDDLE WITH THEM just because they're there.

Option anxiety is real and it sounds like that's part of the issue with @Ibanez_76 If that is the case then they should move to St. Rock - or a Stomp.
That's why I'm checking one out. It looks simple to use.

That said, anyone who especially enjoys the Fractal ecosystem would most likely not dig Amperium because it's ridiculously bare bones and rudimentary by comparison.

OM:
St. Rock - 56 pages
FM3 - 149 pages

Based on my scientific calculations the Amperium is 62.4% easier to use than the FM3. (y) :giggle:

Last edited:
Back