So…..I punted on the BL. FM9 ordered

paisleywookiee

Rock Star
My name came up yesterday for the FM9. I got on the list again in December (after being on it before, and actually getting my brother one), and thought “I’m going to have the FM9 race the Badlander; whichever comes in wins”.
I could still get the BL, but honestly I don’t really feel like having expensive shit in both camps. I’d rather personally go one direction or the other.
Here’s the thing; for my situation, modelers 💯 make the most sense. I don't gig. I jam with friends very infrequently, and otherwise play at home. I still have my Quilter, which as we all know is the finest modeler amp there is. That’s an objective fact. 😂 And I’ll keep my three Boogie cabs.

So that’s where I’m at. Will I love the FM9? I mean, probably. It doesn’t sound worse than the FM3 sounded a year ago, does it?

The only hitch is that I got on the list, got one for my brother, then got on it again. I’ve heard scuttlebutt that Fractal isn’t a fan of that, because “they want first time buyers to have a chance first”. I can respect that, but I’m NOT a scalper. So we’ll see what they say today.

It doesn’t sound worse than the FM3 sounded a year ago, does it?

The last couple of rounds of firmware updates over the last year were so good that the FM3 sounds noticeably better than it did a year ago. Same is true for the FM9, of course. The Cygnus X-2 stuff is :chef

The audio quality of the FM9 is astounding and you're unlikely to ever max out the DSP. I don't think you'll regret getting one!

Excited for you, Wookie!

Last edited:
Probably a good choice OP, although, that Quilter, (which one is it? I want to get jealous about it and go research it for my own needs :LOL:), might be all you need for what you're doing.

Having said that, if you already allocated the funds for it, go nuts, right?

FM9 is amazing, for sure. I love mine both for 4cm with my Mesa and for using the amp models with a SS amp and cab.

However, I think your membership here is now at risk, having turned down the Badlander…

the resident GIF by Fox TV

Enjoy the FM9
Good timing they just released a great update
New Compressors , ISP decimator type gates, OG Boss OD1
New curves imp for the UA oxbox and 2notes Toroedo
New thump algorithm ( which the previous was subtle this you can hear and feel , if you get the volume up a bit pictures on the wall will shake .

And a large font display option

Probably a good choice OP, although, that Quilter, (which one is it? I want to get jealous about it and go research it for my own needs :LOL:), might be all you need for what you're doing.

Having said that, if you already allocated the funds for it, go nuts, right?
I already have the Quilter, sitting here somewhere. So I actually just need one more for stereo. :D

I already have the Quilter, sitting here somewhere. So I actually just need one more for stereo. :D
Punt on that class D filth and get a proper tube power amp. The difference is night and day. I have a Syn5050 that is fantastic and the Fryette LXII, Power Station 2, and their bigger box power amps are top of the line for current gen models. Those were made to work beautifully with current gen modelers as well.

Or find a used Mesa 2:50 or 2:ninety, which color the sound a bit more but in that amazing Mark amp style way.

I ran my FM9 through the Orange Pedal Baby, the SD170, and the TCBAM200 power amps. All decent, well except for the Orange which sounded like throwing wet gnocchi against the wall, but none of them have the transformers of a good tube power amp that really pushes air the right way.

Punt on that class D filth and get a proper tube power amp. The difference is night and day. I have a Syn5050 that is fantastic and the Fryette LXII, Power Station 2, and their bigger box power amps are top of the line for current gen models. Those were made to work beautifully with current gen modelers as well.

Or find a used Mesa 2:50 or 2:ninety, which color the sound a bit more but in that amazing Mark amp style way.

I ran my FM9 through the Orange Pedal Baby, the SD170, and the TCBAM200 power amps. All decent, well except for the Orange which sounded like throwing wet gnocchi against the wall, but none of them have the transformers of a good tube power amp that really pushes air the right way.
I will say the having tried the SD170 and Ashdown Newt, the Quilter blocks sound wonderful and imo on a different level than a traditional Solid State power amp

Aye. Not all Class D amps are the same! Modern Quilters are very nice. I've owned a bunch of 'em. Current feedback is key. Probably should not have sold all of them, but of course I got stupidly GASsy about all sorts of stuff, and so that's that.

Last edited:
Was this the right time to buy, or should I have waited on the FM9 Turbo Type-R Spec-V All-Wheel Drive? I hope Cliff drops the 19's and some 35 series tires on there for me.

Seems unlikely that the FM9T would be revised again so soon; it's a great device and they're selling well. FAS need to reap that sweet R&D ROI, and good for them. Lots of DSP power for future proofing too.

Seems unlikely that the FM9T would be revised again so soon; it's a great device and they're selling well. FAS need to reap that sweet R&D ROI, and good for them. Lots of DSP power for future proofing too.
I know, I was mostly poking fun at the name, which is silly for a modeler. :D

I guess no more silly than a "POD HD Pro" or some of the other names, though.

Was this the right time to buy, or should I have waited on the FM9 Turbo Type-R Spec-V All-Wheel Drive? I hope Cliff drops the 19's and some 35 series tires on there for me.
Yeah I mean there is always a risk of revisions but I don't see the FM9T undergoing another change anytime soon.

Now an Axe FX IV, who knows lol that's for another thread and none of us outside of Cliff and team know the answers.

Back