Should I get one?

• YES

Votes: 25 69.4%
  • NO

Votes: 11 30.6%

• Total voters

metropolis_4

Shredder
Too many threads to dig through, and I trust your opinions more than YouTube videos.

What do you think?

I realized the flaw in my rig plan is that I have nothing to play electric guitar through at home for months at a time. Thought I’d be OK with that, but turns out I’m not.

I just want really good responsive amp tones that feel good to play. And I want an audio interface so I can start participating in the weekly challenges again!

How are the amps compared to Kemper?

The main tones I’d be looking for:
  • Blackface Jazz tones
  • Jangly Vox Country tones
  • Marshall old school metal tones

That's where I really like the HX Stomp, as it can do all in one or be an audio interface or integrate into a pedalboard.

Otherwise you'd need to be okay with no effects and the screen/interface.

Do you have Helix Native or any amp simps? Maybe just get a good USB interface and use the computer?

Too many threads to dig through, and I trust your opinions more than YouTube videos.

What do you think?

I realized the flaw in my rig plan is that I have nothing to play electric guitar through at home for months at a time. Thought I’d be OK with that, but turns out I’m not.

I just want really good responsive amp tones that feel good to play. And I want an audio interface so I can start participating in the weekly challenges again!

How are the amps compared to Kemper?

The main tones I’d be looking for:
  • Blackface Jazz tones
  • Jangly Vox Country tones
  • Marshall old school metal tones
I believe there is a free version of the Tone X software. There is no difference in tone so you could give the software a spin to see if it's your thing?

I haven’t tried it much as an interface since I have more capable ones around. The ones I already have hooked up to monitors have more routing options, numerous in out jacks, more robust USB routing etc. that said, the TONEX pedal can get a track laid down in a DAW with low latency. So it is serviceable if not versatile.

the tones you are looking for are free and doesn’t take long to find them.

The reverb and compression are also serviceable. A plate or room reverb with predelay short of slapback and I’m good for headphone practice Or playing through monitors. Into effects return of an amp with global cabs turned off is also good.
Very convenient.
ToneX pedal is a great stand alone player or replacement for an amp block in the loop of a lesser modeler to get effects in the mix. In a pedal board set up it is excellent.

A tone model without cab included into a small combo is so perfect.
I even bought a Katana MKII artist 100 to be the primary means of amplification for ToneX when I need that visceral ‘guitar cab’ experience. That combination alone is remarkably useful and was the reason I knew the FM9 and Kemper stage could go away. It instantly gave me the hybrid -modeling/real amp- set up I’ve been chasing for much less than I’ve spent trying to create it too many times.

ToneX gets me all the amp ‘modeling’ sounds I need and fits my preferred work flow of a few effect pedals pre and post and no rabbit hole menu diving exploration of thousands of ‘better options’ that aren’t really better *for me* because they eat way too much time up for slight improvement.

Last edited:
I’ve only downloaded about 10-12 caps from peeps here and various pros and the returns via my Ps100 and cab are great. I don’t think you can go wrong with the pedal, especially at the price.

My poll disappeared so I added it back. I will abide by the poll results

I don’t currently have a computer capable of using plugins. And I’m just looking for something for messing around at home so I’d like to go inexpensive.

That's where I really like the HX Stomp, as it can do all in one or be an audio interface or integrate into a pedalboard.

Otherwise you'd need to be okay with no effects and the screen/interface.

Do you have Helix Native or any amp simps? Maybe just get a good USB interface and use the computer?

If I had a computer that could handle it that’s what I’d do. I still have a ton of plug-in licenses. But I don’t have a computer I can use for that at the moment.

I am also $399 curious. :LOL:

It was discussed last night at band practice. I use Fractal. Other guitarist is a long time
Helix user (2016). We are both scratching our heads on this.

Yeah, I’m kinda $399 curious too :rofl

I think the biggest reason I’m on the fence is because I don’t have good memories of my past experience with AmpliTube tones (v3, v4). I didn’t like their cab block, there was something weird and digital in the high end, and they didn’t respond or feel good.

I haven’t tried it much as an interface since I have more capable ones around. The ones I already have hooked up to monitors have more routing options, numerous in out jacks, more robust USB routing etc. that said, the TONEX pedal can get a track laid down in a DAW with low latency. So it is serviceable if not versatile.

the tones you are looking for are free and doesn’t take long to find them.

The reverb and compression are also serviceable. A plate or room reverb with predelay short of slapback and I’m good for headphone practice Or playing through monitors. Into effects return of an amp with global cabs turned off is also good.
Very convenient.
ToneX pedal is a great stand alone player or replacement for an amp block in the loop of a lesser modeler to get effects in the mix.

Im selling a Kemper Stage and FM 9 because TONEX gets me all the amp ‘modeling’ sounds I need but fits my preferred work flow of a few effect pedals pre and post and no rabbit hole exploration of thousands of ‘better options’ that aren’t really “better” *for me* because they eat way too much time up.

Thanks for this. I’d be curious to hear more of your thoughts on the amps VS Kemper

I can't comment on any of those tone comparisons because, well; :satan

The captures I have are great. I enjoy them quite a bit \m/ A Tone-X with curated caps and pedals on a small board is :chef

Honestly, that’s one thing making me lean away from it. My original idea is I want something really basic that is just a few good amp sounds for home practice…

But with the ToneX I’m already catching myself thinking about things I could add to build a full rig around it :bag

I’ve got the start of a full pedalboard already in mind :rofl

Honestly, that’s one thing making me lean away from it. My original idea is I want something really basic that is just a few good amp sounds for home practice…

But with the ToneX I’m already catching myself thinking about things I could add to build a full rig around it :bag

I’ve got the start of a full pedalboard already in mind :rofl
It and a Stomp are a very convincing argument.

Thanks for this. I’d be curious to hear more of your thoughts on the amps VS Kemper
I saw a bunch of tone models of Kemper profiles that have been uploaded and at first listen they are really good. But going back and forth between other tone models of similar amps I find better results. So I recognized a few of the Kemper profiles that were captured and fired up my Stage and did a quick AB compariso/play. my conclusion is
1) ToneX captures a Kemper with what sounds to me like 100% accuracy
2) ToneX seems to provide better capturing of the same amp than Kemper can via Profiling.

if I had to go play with a band and was only allowed one ‘box/pedal’ the Kemper Stage is by far superior because it’s effects, signal chain layout and access, the Kemper “Performance“ system etc are really great.
However, for the same expense or less, I can make a small pedal board with ToneX that sounds better. And I can pull the TONEX pedal off the pedalboard and toss it in the guitar case and go sit anywhere with some headphones and be totally satisfied (And go USB to DAW which Kemper won’t do).

Last edited:
Know up front: Little clunky to use. Software takes some getting used to. Beyond that; it's pretty straightforward.

Yeah, but it has other uses. Id rather just have a little box always sitting in my practice area with a guitar plugged in that I can just flip on and start playing any time I want

Boss Katana 50 mk 2. It sounds great, it can be as quiet or as loud as you want, it's super easy to use, lightweight, built like a Boss, USB recording, headphone out, great effects. And they're $269

I have one in the living room that I play all the time. I leave it set to a pretty dirty lead sound - it cleans up great with the guitar volume.

It and a Stomp are a very convincing argument.

ToneX and a Stomp, that’s all I need.

And an SD-1, and that’s it. Tone X, Stomp and SD-1 and that’s all.

I need a Rat too. Ok, Tone X, Stomp, SD-1, Rat and nothing else. That’s all I need…

I’m gonna want some fuzz…

328AF8FB00000578-3509023-image-m-47_1458889951588.jpg

Boss Katana 50 mk 2. It sounds great, it can be as quiet or as loud as you want, it's super easy to use, lightweight, built like a Boss, USB recording, headphone out, great effects. And they're $269

I have one in the living room that I play all the time. I leave it set to a pretty dirty lead sound - it cleans up great with the guitar volume.

How dare you come in here suggesting something more practical and useful and cheaper than the shiny new toy I’m trying to talk myself into buying :hmm

Back