Should I buy a QC?

We all make jokes about QC me included but I can’t ignore the impact they have had on the market
I mean with all these shortcomings at launch they have still managed to sell 15,000 units and are still quickly selling out of stock .

Yes, they seem to sell very quickly here in Canada. I think the general guitar-playing public has no idea about the crappy launch, unfulfilled promises, power supply issues, etc. They just read the marketing copy and believe it. And see Megadeth, Pete Thorn using it.

(Many guitarists are not obsessive forum nerds, haha.)

2 of my friends have sold a Fractal unit and is now using a QC, and they play live. And i feel happy playing my unit in the studio, it`s so easy to use and is a lot of fun. I hope the CorOS 2.0 update is a grate one. Capture anything is fun. And nowadays i use the amp models a lot, sure a few sound week..but the new Diezel Herbert.. maaan that thing sounds good, and the new Bassman as well.

2 of my friends have sold a Fractal unit and is now using a QC, and they play live. And i feel happy playing my unit in the studio, it`s so easy to use and is a lot of fun. I hope the CorOS 2.0 update is a grate one. Capture anything is fun. And nowadays i use the amp models a lot, sure a few sound week..but the new Diezel Herbert.. maaan that thing sounds good, and the new Bassman as well.
I have yet to seen one irl. But curious about the screen.

Say if you are using it in a dimly lit room, and turn it on, does the screen shine in a grayish light? Bleeds, nasty color shifts? QC looks so damn good design wise and that screen is gorgeous... but.. yo know.. its a nerdy question.

(I know... has nothing to do with sound and playing guitar and such things... but I am allergic to LCD screens with nasty backlighting... I am a screen nerd... I admit that...)

Say if you are using it in a dimly lit room, and turn it on, does the screen shine in a grayish light? Bleeds, nasty color shifts? QC looks so damn good design wise and that screen is gorgeous... but.. yo know.. its a nerdy question.

(I know... has nothing to do with sound and playing guitar and such things... but I am allergic to LCD screens with nasty backlighting... I am a screen nerd... I admit that...)

I totally get it. I mostly play in low lighting at home and found the Helix Floor hurts my eyes, whereas the HXFX and Stomp don't at all.

Earlier units I’ve had were a little bleedy, but the newer one I have is better with better colors and blacks and no noticeable bleed. It’s a guitar processor so I don’t care all that much, so I can’t say if it’s up to your standards or not lol.

IMO the competition dodged a bullet by the fact they did not deliver what was on paper out of the gate
And 18 months later they still haven't...

The QC is definitely in a much better place than it was at launch, but it still hasn't made up the ground it ceded in order to make that launch date.

And 18 months later they still haven't...

The QC is definitely in a much better place than it was at launch, but it still hasn't made up the ground it ceded in order to make that launch date.
Yes and once again it’s that’s helped the competition, if they found a way to release solid updates every month that would have given them an advantage

It’s the fact of the sheer amount of what’s missing at launch and then the slow trickle of updates that’s kept them trying to run in heavy chains

But this is my prediction maybe it not Neural maybe someone completely different but the 8 12 months spaces between updates is not a sustainable model in this I want it now generation

If you have waitlists where people can’t get your product or if you take 10 months between updates eventually someone will take your spot .

Modellers owners are somewhat fickle as shown by many of us owning several platforms , when someone delivers the whole package many will jump ship .

Just my thoughts

I have my QC screen on the lowest brightness. And have also the footswitch light low, this way i don`t kill my eyes in the dark room. Before we got this option..is was hurting my eyes

Should I buy QC? Maybe I should and definitely did.

First afternoon with the QC is so far so good. Cool little unit that I think will be what I want I for in my studio mainly and maybe gig with it too. As always I don’t like any presets that come in any of these device. Also I have yet get on the exchange or try to profile my amps and cabs. That said… so far making a patch from scratch by a new user and it’s getting really cool results rather quickly. User interface is very easy to learn so that’s good for my wet blanket brain. But yeah, my curiosity has me wanting to delve deeper into getting captures of my own amps and see how that goes. So far so good. I can know say for sure for me anyway that each and every modeler/profiler I’ve tried definitely has it’s own “voice” when it comes to modeling.

I can know say for sure for me anyway that each and every modeler/profiler I’ve tried definitely has it’s own “voice” when it comes to modeling.

It it possible to describe that QC voice in words?

I'm curious as someone that's owned L6 Helix and Fractal devices, if you could describe what it's like with those devices as reference points.

Last edited:

First afternoon with the QC is so far so good. Cool little unit that I think will be what I want I for in my studio mainly and maybe gig with it too. As always I don’t like any presets that come in any of these device. Also I have yet get on the exchange or try to profile my amps and cabs. That said… so far making a patch from scratch by a new user and it’s getting really cool results rather quickly. User interface is very easy to learn so that’s good for my wet blanket brain. But yeah, my curiosity has me wanting to delve deeper into getting captures of my own amps and see how that goes. So far so good. I can know say for sure for me anyway that each and every modeler/profiler I’ve tried definitely has it’s own “voice” when it comes to modeling.
Get to capturing!

It it possible to describe that QC voice in words?

I'm curious as someone that's owned L6 Helix and Fractal devices, if you could describe what it's like with those devices as reference points.
It’s always hard to say. I can get cool tones out of all of them honestly. They are like brands of amps in my mind that they have the same goal in mind but they have a sonic thumbprint. I can get the Helix and Fractal “close” in sound and feel but the Helix is less polished and the Fractal has more of open tone but has this polish to my ear. The new cabs in Helix are actually really cool so plus they’re over Fractal.

So I’d say the QC in the mix has a better feel and more amp like than both and is a bit more open but no harsh top in if you don’t want it. Nicer mids than any digital unit I’m using. With that though a number of the captures have way too much bottom end but I was able to dial a lot of that back. Also has a bit of more polished sound closer to the Fractal. Now this is just judging from the included captures.

Forgot to mention I think the effects sound good and some of the drives work well. Not near as deep in parameters and not near as many options but there’s plenty there to work with. I’ll probably augment it with the Eventide if I keep it. I’m actually thinking if I could profile my amps and use my drives board into it and the Eventide that might be cool.

Ohhhh and…. I still think as far as this stuff has come, they will not take the place of playing a real amp with nice tube headroom even at low volumes. Yet.

Last edited:
It’s always hard to say. I can get cool tones out of all of them honestly. They are like brands of amps in my mind that they have the same goal in mind but they have a sonic thumbprint. I can get the Helix and Fractal “close” in sound and feel but the Helix is less polished and the Fractal has more of open tone but has this polish to my ear. The new cabs in Helix are actually really cool so plus they’re over Fractal.

So I’d say the QC in the mix has a better feel and more amp like than both and is a bit more open but no harsh top in if you don’t want it. Nicer mids than any digital unit I’m using. With that though a number of the captures have way too much bottom end but I was able to dial a lot of that back. Also has a bit of more polished sound closer to the Fractal. Now this is just judging from the included captures.

Forgot to mention I think the effects sound good and some of the drives work well. Not near as deep in parameters and not near as many options but there’s plenty there to work with. I’ll probably augment it with the Eventide if I keep it. I’m actually thinking if I could profile my amps and use my drives board into it and the Eventide that might be cool.

Ohhhh and…. I still think as far as this stuff has come, they will not take the place of playing a real amp with nice tube headroom even at low volumes. Yet.

Sounds like it has a liquid lead tone and a dynamic crunch to it that punches so far above it's weight class. I bet it has some vintage warmth, tube-like saturation, and simulates long cable runs to round it out so well.

Last edited:
Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

Let me know if you wanna try any of my capture packs. I’ll send you some things.

www.wickedtones.bigcartel.com

Interesting, I had a very different experience.

To me, the Captures seem about the same as Kemper Profiles, except I couldn’t find any that I liked as well as MBritt.

Models, to me the QC models just aren’t even in the same league as the Fractal models. For me, Fractal models sound more open and natural and have much more clarity, detail and depth.

I didn’t hear mids I liked in the QC, I felt all I could hear were exaggerated lows that were very difficult to dial out. The QC models to me had too much distortion that came on too quickly, and the transition to distortion happened too abruptly making it difficult to ride the edge of breakup sounds.

Back